Author Topic: Question about Amazon's Coming of Age genre for fiction  (Read 149 times)  

Offline Michael Eli Vineberg

• View Profile
Question about Amazon's Coming of Age genre for fiction
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
The short version of this question is whether or not a story with a MC aged in his early twenties, who undergoes a personal transformation as the novel progresses, would fall into this category (for the sake of publishing/marketing)? The book is basically contemporary fiction, and is written in 1st person from the point of view of a man in his early twenties. The focus is on what happens inside the main character as a result of dramatic external context and then subsequently as a result of inner personal growth work. I ask this because coming of age seems to me to generally focus on young adults / teenagers. This book, however, has sex, crude and direct language, some drug use, and a good dose of swear words in it, so it clearly falls more into "New Adult"... but that isn't a category for Amazon, except for romance. 
I am considering classifying it as both contemporary fiction as well as coming of age.
I would love some input, and thank you in advance for any and all opinions.

Michael Eli Vineberg | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Lauriejoyeltahs

Re: Question about Amazon's Coming of Age genre for fiction
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:02 PM »
Yes, though for Amazon it seems to be any story of a teen who reaches an adulthood. The definition for fantasy coming of age is traditionally a little more extensive than what I seen thrown into this category on Amazon.

Amazon has a new adult category in fantasy.