Author Topic: Books for young children  (Read 636 times)  

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
Books for young children
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:06:11 AM »
My fiance and I are expecting a little girl in October, we would like to give her the best start possible with reading, I am curious what books did you love as a young child or what do you love to read to yours? I would love to add to her library.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Books for young children
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:18:09 PM »
I read to both of our children and both of our grandchildren from the day they were born.  I started reading The Velveteen Rabbit to my grandson the first time I got to hold him at the hospital.  Of course at that stage all that matters is the sound of your voice and not necessarily the words of a story! 

So many wonderful choices out there.  For the last few years the book I always give at a baby shower or after a baby announcement is received is this one.  I think it's destined to become a classic.  It was the book I read at the hospital when meeting our granddaughter.  She will be 4 in a couple of weeks and it's still a favorite we read together all the time.

Congratulations on your impending arrival!  I think instilling a love of books and reading is one of the most precious gifts you can give your child.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:55:11 AM »
My parents started reading to me very early.
One of my favorite stories that my mom tells about my dad is when he tried to skip pages to get to the end faster and I told him "No Daddy, that's not how it goes."  I don't remember actually doing that, so I must have been pretty young.
I do have very vivid memories of my mom reading Dr Seuss books to me.  I can still pull random lines from some of them out of thin air.  A lot of my favorites from childhood are no longer in print, so those won't be very helpful. 
I purchased this book for my niece before she was born.  I was convinced that my SIL was having a girl and I wanted her to be more of a tomboy than a frilly girl.

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »
These are great, thank you everyone. My fiance and I will look at finding all the suggestions you can never have too many stories to read to your little ones.

Offline KenIsaacson

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.KenIsaacson.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
Not for infants, but great kids' books nonetheless, are those in Brad Meltzer's "I am" series. Tag line: Ordinary People Change the World.

Titles include I am Abraham Lincoln, I am Albert Einstein, I am Amelia Earhart, I am Rosa Parks, and more.
Lee Child, author of the Jack Reacher series, says calls Death Benefit "a terrific legal thriller, right up there with the best in the genre -- immediately appealing, always intriguing, and very satisfying in the end."
Ken Isaacson | Facebook | Twitter | Website

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »
Dr. Seuss and Disney classics floats the boat of the kids in my family.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »
Sounds great, the I am series sounds great. We are living all of your suggestions.

Offline KiraCarter

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • kiracarter.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 04:06:58 PM »
I could probably write a whole book about this!

Dr. Seuss, of course. (There are also little board books of some Seuss books that are great for babies/toddlers.)
Eric Carle writes a bunch of fun books.
So does Sandra Boynton.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Books by Giles Andreae
Roger Priddy has books like First 100 Words that have pictures of various familiar objects with their names. (My daughter loved these when she started realizing that everything has a name.)
Flap books have been a big hit too (like Dear Zoo and a bunch of stuff by Karen Katz).
The Llama Llama books by Anna Dewdney
There are also books by Raffi that are basically his songs with illustrations--lots of fun to read together.
My daughter's currently very into the Bear books by Karma Wilson.

It's great to have a well-stocked library at home, but don't forget about the public library. We started going there after I thought I might go crazy if I had to read Hop one Pop on more time. And your library might have storytime or some other kids' programs.

My daughter loves the Babybug magazines that we get from the library. And she also has subscriptions to Cub (a Ranger Rick magazine for littles), Little Kids (ditto from National Geographic), and Zoobies (from Zoobooks).

There are a lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head, but hopefully that helps.

And congratulations!

Author of YA dystopian novels
Kira Carter | Website

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »
Wow you all have such great suggestions. Some of these books  I have never heard of and look forward to sharing with my family.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 12:14:32 PM »
How wonderful that you are already planning your baby's reading programme. Will you be buying print books, or reading from an e-reader?

My favourite Christmas memories are of sitting in front of the crackling fire with the Christmas tree lights flickering and settling down to read my Christmas gifts books, with a selection box of sweets beside me - bliss.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
We plan to read to her from both, an e-reader will work on long trips and the actual books will help at bed time or quiet time. We both love to read and we home to instill this into our daughter, what better way to help her imagination to grow then to have her explore some books.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
We plan to read to her from both, an e-reader will work on long trips and the actual books will help at bed time or quiet time. We both love to read and we home to instill this into our daughter, what better way to help her imagination to grow then to have her explore some books.

As she gets older you might also like to encourage her to review books  :). Getting her to explore what she likes and what she doesn't like about the books will encourage her to make wise choices when she begins selecting her own books from the library, or from Amazon (but it's not a good idea to allow children to search books using the Amazon search as all sorts of weird (and unsuitable) books can crop up within 'children's books'  :o::) )

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 08:02:01 AM »
As she gets older you might also like to encourage her to review books  :). Getting her to explore what she likes and what she doesn't like about the books will encourage her to make wise choices when she begins selecting her own books from the library, or from Amazon (but it's not a good idea to allow children to search books using the Amazon search as all sorts of weird (and unsuitable) books can crop up within 'children's books'  :o::) )

That sounds like a great idea. My fiance and I have agreed that she will only be able to access the internet in rooms where one of us is present. You never know what is going to be lurking there. We will encourage her to make her own choices though and encourage her to choose the books she is more interested in.

Offline KateEllison

• View Profile
    • Southern Scrawl
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 12:35:48 PM »
Congratulations!

When our son was a really small baby, we read him whatever we wanted. Some of my friends read chapter books like Harry Potter to their infants just to get them used to the sounds of the words.

My son is 2 and he loves Dr. Seuss.

Harold and the Purple Crayon was a favorite of mine.

"I stayed up till 3 in the morning to finish [The Curse Girl] and then wanted to read it again as soon as I was done!" ~J. Jane, a reader

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac