Author Topic: The Long Winded Summer Slump of 2017  (Read 3115 times)  

Offline Michael Eli Vineberg

• View Profile
Re: The Long Winded Summer Slump of 2017
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
August is worse than July!   :(

Actually, my August was substantially better than the July, and thus far September is on track to be my best month to date (it's early though, so I'll have to wait and see).

Michael Eli Vineberg | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 08:21:29 AM »
September was my worst month last year and it's shaping up to be the same this year. Yesterday I had my worst day in a YEAR--I honestly thought at one point I would have NO sales and only a handful of page reads. (It picked up later in the day.) It's probably mostly my own fault, though--my latest book is late (it grew, it grew!) and the 'brilliant idea' I just had to write in the middle of the summer turned out, ahem, to not be so brilliant at all...

Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 09:08:53 AM »
This is my 8th summer since first publishing in February of 2010. Only one of those wasn't plagued by low sales, but this one hasn't been the worst. And October has always been the lowest month unless I have a new release about then.

Online Modi Gliani

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
This has been the worst August and September in seven years, and that's across a large catalog. Given the hurricances and floods in the south and southwest and the fires in California, my guess is at the moment half the country is knocked senseless and without interest in buying books. It would be useful to have stats about print books in general. I cannot imagine current events and pessimism about politics have not had a negative impact on readers. Will the KU payout go up because there have been less pages read across the board? The answer will I think tell us a great deal about where KU is headed.

Offline Gabriella West

• San Francisco, CA
  • LGBT fiction and memoir
    • View Profile
    • GabriellaWest.net
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
I love your username, Modi Gliani.

September's been terrible. No sales at all, which is just not normal, but so much is going on out there. I haven't been feeling like reading much myself, so I can understand other people (especially directly impacted ones) not being in the mood!

I copyedit, too, at Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Online Modi Gliani

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
I love your username, Modi Gliani.

Thank you.

Offline Alvina

• View Profile
    • Forever Young Recipes
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 11:03:57 PM »
It seems hopeless, I've stopped looking at my dashboard...  :'(

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 11:29:09 PM »
Summers have always been bad for me. Apparently my novels which tend to full of war, blood, death and no happy endings don't make good good beach reads. Who'd a thunk it.

Fortunately I don't spend a lot of angst over my sales.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 11:52:09 PM »
I don't know about everyone else, but this seems limited to Amazon sales only (thank god) for me.

Apple, Nook, Google, Kobo fluctuate in tiny amounts. Month to month income might be within $100 either way from previous months, but at Amazon the difference could be $1000s due to the market share.

Amazon is around 46.7% of my income right now. In 2014, it was 57%. I still hate seeing Amazon slump as that's where most of my marketing goes (Bookbub and Facebook seem to hit well there), so it's still annoying, but at least it's not lethal. I AM NOT going back to "the day job" like EVER!

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 12:31:45 AM »
I don't know about everyone else, but this seems limited to Amazon sales only (thank god) for me.

Apple, Nook, Google, Kobo fluctuate in tiny amounts. Month to month income might be within $100 either way from previous months, but at Amazon the difference could be $1000s due to the market share.

Amazon is around 46.7% of my income right now. In 2014, it was 57%. I still hate seeing Amazon slump as that's where most of my marketing goes (Bookbub and Facebook seem to hit well there), so it's still annoying, but at least it's not lethal. I AM NOT going back to "the day job" like EVER!

This.

It's an Amazon thing. Moreover, it's an Amazon US thing. The other Amazons are fine. It's just the US that seems to do this every year. Fortunately, they're an ever-decreasing percentage of my sales (like 25% at last count).

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 04:45:49 AM »
I don't think this August was any worse than any August without a new release. But September has been a sad, sad, thing. I'm hoping that my new release will give my sales a kick in the pants. I have a Hail Mary move I'm playing too, and I have a few more of those up my sleeve if I need them. (I always, always have plans and backup plans and backup backup plans.)

I do think Florida & Texas are making a difference--all my September ads fell flat. I am hopeful we'll see a turn around over the next few days.

All of that said ... this "bad" month is still better than good months a few years ago. I'm taking deep breaths and not pulling out the Job Listings yet.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Online hopecartercan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 05:35:02 AM »
This September is shaping up to be one of my worst months ever at Amazon, and I even put out a new release a week and a half ago. :( 

Online KhaosFoxe

• Co. Kerry, Ireland
  • English expat, UF author.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 05:49:11 AM »
I've definitely been feeling this summer slump. My new release last month kept things ticking over, they weren't great, but bearable. This month has been utterly miserable thus far. I have another new release in ten days or so, book one in a new series, so fingers crossed that'll lead into a nice October.

Bisexual writing LGBT+ UF.                       Seers Stone not published until September 27th.

Online Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 05:53:25 AM »
April and August historically for me. It has to be the sub-niche I'm in, so this year I knew it was coming. I took a nice long break through August.

Right now, my sales are excellent and have been since the start of September. The slumps are different for everybody.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
Anything that's happening on a macro level has relatively little effect on your sales compared to what you are doing (or not doing) on a micro level - e.g. releasing and promoting and so on. IMO the "summer slump" has always been radically overstated. And it's not like you can do anything about these macro level events anyway...

As for it being an Amazon phenomenon, well, Amazon likes much more churn in its charts than the other retailers. Which is a good thing, as it makes it easier to climb the rankings. You'll notice this after a BookBub when your rank stays better for longer at places like B&N, even if the sales-halo there doesn't seem to be supporting the better rank. Which means that if your sales go down for any reason (natural decay, length of time since release, promo tapering off, slipping off another book's also boughts, etc. etc.), you will notice the drop coming quicker and sharper at Amazon. Often before you have diagnosed the reason for same.

And it's probably little to do with the time of year tbh. Ed Robertson wrote a good post mostly debunking the summer slump idea a few year's back. Worth reading: http://edwardwrobertson.com/ebook-sales/ebooks-and-the-myth-of-the-summer-slump/

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
There's actually a great discussion in the comments underneath that above-mentioned post. One bit particularly worth highlighting (esp. the last two sentences):

I think authors make a big mistake assuming that overall ebook sales are some sort of monster boot squashing (or dictating) their own sales. Ive had a new release out in June or July each of the last three years, and my personal sales do just fine. Heck, the quiet of trad publishing in summer might even make it easier to get a new release visible high on the bestseller lists. Its not how big the total ebook sales pie is that matters its how much of it you can get headed your direction. And new releases have always been the most predictably effective way to do that.

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »
My sales have generally been lower in the summer, and September has had black holes in at least two previous years. And certainly July and August were no exception -- the worst in three or four years. But the slump ended on September 1, and sales have been booming on Amazon. I don't break out US sales from the others any longer, because the default in month-to-date is worldwide, but apart from the UK I don't have any important Kindle markets outside the US store.

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 08:57:18 AM »
I've already sold more books in September than I did in August. Which surprises me as I haven't released a book since January and haven't done any kind of promo whatsoever this year.