Author Topic: Should I read King's Dark Tower before the movie?  (Read 606 times)  

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
Should I read King's Dark Tower before the movie?
« on: July 25, 2017, 04:59:46 PM »
I've always been on the fence about reading this series...the reviews are all over the place. Is it worth it? I usually like to read the book before the movie, but in this case maybe I should skip the book?

Anyone read it?

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
Re: Should I read King's Dark Tower before the movie?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
I've always been on the fence about reading this series...the reviews are all over the place. Is it worth it? I usually like to read the book before the movie, but in this case maybe I should skip the book?

Anyone read it?

I personally find King's novels lacking, in that I just don't care if something bad might happen to the characters. I tried to read The Gunslinger (first in the DT series) and gave up after a hundred pages or more. I for one would vote for just seeing the movie, but I'm biased. :) Obviously there are a ton of people out there who love his books, and they might suggest the opposite.

Of course, then there's the issue where if you read the book and love it, then the movie is more likely to be a let-down if it deviates from the source material, leaves favorite characters/scenes out, and so forth; so maybe it's still better to see it without reading, even if you might like the book.  8)

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 04:07:14 AM »
I agree with Nog about King . . . and also about the potential conflict of book vs movie.

I did try to read the dome one when that series was coming out. . . . I think I got maybe a third of the way through: I had only a mild curiosity about where the dome came from and none of the characters I met had any level of redeeming social value so I was content to leave them stuck there. (I think I looked up the plot on wikipedia to satisfy my curiosity and thought the answer was kinda dumb.) I've found the same thing with most other King books I've tried to read.

And there are others who RAVE about 'em . . . . he certainly sells a lot of books.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 05:05:46 AM »
I truly loved many of King's later early books (The Stand, Salem's Lot, The Shining), but I haven't enjoyed them as much since that early period. I decided to try The Dark Tower series a few years ago because I have a friend who loved it, but the only one I liked was The Gunslinger. And it wasn't love. But I did like it.

I have the same thing as NogDog with many of his books - I don't care about the characters at all. The Stand - yes, amazing characters. Amazing story. The Dark Tower, not so much.

I expect the movie to better than the books. The Dome was an awful book, but as bad as the TV show eventually became, it was much better than that. The folks who produce King's books don't have any problem wandering off course to make a better production, so I'd say see the movie and, if you like it, read the book later to see what you think.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:23:31 PM »
Good answers, typically I like to read the book before the movie, but I will hold off on this one

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »
Good answers, typically I like to read the book before the movie, but I will hold off on this one

Makes me think back to when "2001: A Space Odyssey" came out. I saw the movie and was impressed but confused; so I read the book, figured out what was going on, then went to see the movie again. :)

Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline EA Cruz

• View Profile
    • EA Cruz - Jesus Says GO KILL YOURSELF
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 06:35:20 PM »
I suggest watching the movie first.

If you LOVE it, then read the book.

Don't read the book first and set up all sorts of expectations that the movie might not meet.

You might just end up spoiling things for yourself.

Offline CRL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:37:30 AM »
Read 'The Gunslinger'. It's great.

Everything else is godawful.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »
Read 'The Gunslinger'. It's great.

Everything else is godawful.

Is it complete by itself? A satisfying ending or just a cliff-hanger?

Offline Elsye_Harwood

• View Profile
    • Elsye Harwood
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »
I think The Gunslinger  is complete in itself, but I did read it over thirty years ago now.
I do remember liking the series more as it continued. I've only read the first three books, because there was such a long gap in between them  I gave up waiting and lost interest.
I really liked King's  early books.  It, was one of my favourites  and I agree  The Stand is  definitely a book you can go back to again and again.  But for me things went wrong  with Tommy Knockers, it left me cold and it's rare for me to actively dislike a book.  I've since learnt that King was  going through a difficult phase in this life at this point and I think it shows in his writing.
As to book vs film, I tend to think read the book first.  Though if you really love the  film, the chances are  book it was adapted from will be even  better.
Historical fantasy mainly but knowing me it'll be all the ones I read as a child. Enid Blyton Scifi?
Elsye Harwood | My Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »
Based on this Tor.com article, maybe just read the books? :)

http://www.tor.com/2017/08/07/movie-reviews-the-dark-tower-misses-the-mark/

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
Based on this Tor.com article, maybe just read the books? :)

http://www.tor.com/2017/08/07/movie-reviews-the-dark-tower-misses-the-mark/

Yeah, looks like I may skip that one. How in the world do you take those dark, dark books with Roland as the protag and turn it into a YA-focused movie with the kid being the protag? That's just crazy and foolish.

And here I was hoping that the movie would be better than the books.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline Lascivity

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lascivity
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 05:13:14 AM »
Read a couple of chapters. If you're feeling it, read the rest. If not, ditch it and watch instead. Some people do prefer the books, but there's nothing to stop you trying both.
My (somewhat NSFW) blog.

Offline Galaxy Dog

• Venice (Italy)
  • Brett Fitzpatrick
    • View Profile
    • BrettFitzpatrick.com
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 12:21:02 PM »
It looks from this site http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-worst-changes-the-dark-tower-movie-made-from-the-bo-1797598824  like the movie is a different beast. I think you could probably watch it, then read the books, and the reading experience wouldn't be "spoiled".

Brett Fitzpatrick | Website

Offline cali

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »
I enjoyed King's books when I read them around 35 years ago, but when I tried to go back and reread them, I could not get the same satisfaction as the first time around, so I put them down.  Somehow I don't think I would enjoy this movie based on a negative review that I just read.  King just does not do it for me anymore, book, or I think, movie.  But I guess anything is worth at least the initial effort to give it a chance.