Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: KU 3  (Read 35061 times)  

Offline Shelley K

• View Profile
Re: KU 3
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »

Ooh that would be great! Fingers crossed that's what the change is really about!

It would solve the problem of authors who don't use bonus material feeling cheated by those who do in addition to scammers grabbing page reads. KU would actually be a fairer system. Here's hoping.

I imagine they removed that line about linear reading because it pretty much was them admitting they weren't really counting pages previously, and that's not something they want to admit.

My first thought was that they removed it because on rollout they realized it didn't work that way after all. I may be cynical.

Quote from: Mike Leon
Before, scammers were using bots to check out enormous books and skip to the last page. Now that there is a limit to the viable page count, they will simply change up their strategy. Instead of checking out 10 9000-page books, they'll check out 30 3000-page books. It will probably only take them a few days to adjust their tactics.

The 3000-KENPC limit is not new, it's been in place for a while now.

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
The limit has been 3,000 pages for more than a year. The cap isn't new.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Mike Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »
Well then what did they even change today? The FAQ makes it sound like that's new.

Online Not Lu

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
I just conducted a test on a book that doesn't get many page reads and had none for today.

I opened the book and clicked to the end, basically viewing 3 pages.

Page reads registers - 3

Fake page reads are now going to have to load each page instead of bypassing stuffed content to the end page, I think...

Thanks for the info.

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
Working on a second test, will let you know if the results are the same.

Offline LFGabel

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Lee Gabel, Author
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2017, 12:21:09 PM »
Fake page reads are now going to have to load each page instead of bypassing stuffed content to the end page, I think...

I think a bot could still automate this process, but it will help.

Offline Mike Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.
That's a pretty big deal then. It might cut out stuffing altogether.

Offline DanaFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »
I just conducted a test on a book that doesn't get many page reads and had none for today. I opened the book and clicked to the end, basically viewing 3 pages.

Page reads registers - 3

This is promising because (I HOPE) that means when someone reads to the end, but likes to re-set to the beginning for re-reads (pretty common for shorter works and especially for romances - even more common I think for spicy romances) or other purposes, that we won't lose the pages already read by that user (on all new borrows, at least). I have seen pages read disappear (resulting in a negative pages read count) on a book at the beginning of a month and my only thought as to an explanation was Amazon thought I was cheating (wasn't) and stole them from me or the reader returned to the front of a book. On my romances, I've had lots of reports of readers doing multiple reads.

Online David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »
Has this experiment been done before with a result of the entire book being read? If not by you, do you know of anyone who has done it? Just asking, b/c I've not seen any results.

Yes. Many times. Reported repeatedly in threads over the last year.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
The title of this thread got me excited. But reading it, it isn't actually KU3. It is just KENP v3. In other words, it is still a version of KU2. Call it KU2.3 perhaps.

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
The title of this thread got me excited. But reading it, it isn't actually KU3. It is just KENP v3. In other words, it is still a version of KU2. Call it KU2.3 perhaps.

Yeah, the OP really needs to change the title to avoid confusion.

Alex A. King | Website

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2017, 01:18:51 PM »
I appreciate Amazon at least acknowledging the problem, but I suspect this might make the stuffing problem WORSE, not better.

Before, scammers were using bots to check out enormous books and skip to the last page. Now that there is a limit to the viable page count, they will simply change up their strategy. Instead of checking out 10 9000-page books, they'll check out 30 3000-page books. It will probably only take them a few days to adjust their tactics.

The problem for us authors is that pages read does not factor into also-boughts or bestseller lists. Check-outs do. ...And now the scammers will be checking out a much larger number of books. So we're going to see even more scam books topping bestseller lists.

Also, in order to adapt this new strategy, scammers will need a lot more devices and/or KU accounts (assuming they don't all just perpetually cycle through the 30-day free trial somehow). At least some of them will probably pay Amazon [$10/month x the number of bot accounts] which is more money for Amazon.

So more money for Amazon, no change for scammers, a drop in sales rank for legitimate authors...

The 3k cap has going on for awhile.

Offline Desmond X. Torres

• Kingston, Ontario Canada
  • Transplant from The Bronx to Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2017, 01:36:32 PM »
Yes. Many times. Reported repeatedly in threads over the last year.
Awww Dave, thanks! (You're sayin' I don' come around enuf- fist bump bro  8) )
Crawley House: A tale of The Hauntings of Kingston

If you're new and need some guidance on setting up Mailchimp, I have a thread on it here at Kboards:http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=165780.msg2374500#msg2374500

Online David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
Awww Dave, thanks! (You're sayin' I don' come around enuf- fist bump bro  8) )

:P

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »
My understanding was that previously a single title was capped at 3k pages, that didn't stop someone from checking it out in KU and going through it forty times. Now each individual reader is capped at 3k per title, as well as still having the 3k limit on the total pages per book.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
This started happening yesterday - page reads are showing up in month-to-date some time before appearing on the graph. Book Report seems to favour the graph over the rankings.

Yes, this is what I'm seeing.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
My understanding was that previously a single title was capped at 3k pages, that didn't stop someone from checking it out in KU and going through it forty times. Now each individual reader is capped at 3k per title, as well as still having the 3k limit on the total pages per book.

I don't think so. I don't think it's ever been the case that one reader can generate more than one total payout, even back in KU1.

Has anyone else tried to replicate Myra's test? I'm a KU member and would be glad to borrow and jump ahead in someone's little-borrowed book to test how many pages show up. Just drop me a link.

ETA: Three people contacted me, and I tested four books -- jumping from the beginning to the end on three of them, and on the last, paging very rapidly through the first few chapters, the idea being to see whether the system gives credits for pages gone through faster than any person could actually read them. Results pending. That's probably all the testing I'm up for (don't want to get ID'd as a baby click-farm myself  :o ).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:18:24 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2017, 01:47:46 PM »
No, you couldn't get paid for more than one full set of pages per reader. I checked out my own book and read it on three different devices. 418 pages read total. Start over again, no pages recorded.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »
I don't think so. I don't think it's ever been the case that one reader can generate more than one total payout, even back in KU1.

Has anyone else tried to replicate Myra's test? I'm a KU member and would be glad to borrow and jump ahead in someone's little-borrowed book to test how many pages show up. Just drop me a link.
Check your PM

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »
that didn't stop someone from checking it out in KU and going through it forty times

Yes, it did. People have done experiments all through the KU deal, and it was shown over and over than once someone had read a page, it would not count it again. That was one thing Amazon managed to do, at least.

I'm about to go crazy, as my stuff is still on my old hard drive, not on this new-to-me one, so I can't check to see if any of my KENPC has changed. Argh! Last time something was adjusted, I lost pages. I'm hoping that didn't happen this time (I don't do anything to pad my page counts), but I don't hold out much hope. Been burned too many times before, and I am not a scammer.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2017, 02:20:43 PM »
Meant to also say that we don't really know what changed behind the scenes, but Amazon is calling it KU3, so it seems that's what it is.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Ava Glass

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
Meant to also say that we don't really know what changed behind the scenes, but Amazon is calling it KU3, so it seems that's what it is.

Actually, it's "KENPC V3.0."

Online AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »
What do you mean royalty amt? I don't see that in my Month To Date, just the page reads

Huh...that report is gone now...

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »
Huh...that report is gone now...

Having that up and accurate would be evidence that they knew the rate they planned to pay a month before they 'calculated' it.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
In the process of doing a test, but reporting is glacial.