by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 8023

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: KU 3  (Read 29448 times)  

Online V.P.

• View Profile
Re: KU 3
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »
I'd be interested to hear Phoenix's take on all of this.

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »
My page numbers have stayed the same. Do you guys figure that this: "In addition, we will pay at least $18 Million from the KDP Select Global Fund in July." means we'll get paid at least 18 million for July page reads? Sounds like it to me.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
Wha? I'm still going to put a book in Select in the future to see what it does for me but right now I'm glad I'm wide.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Online MmmmmPie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
Are you familiar with a Fitbit? It's wrist-watch that monitors the amount of steps taken throughout the day, along with heartbeat, etc. Well, this little watch monitors steps taken all the time, even without being connected to the internet. Meaning, it doesn't just track that you went from point A to point B, but actually counts individual steps taken to get there.

You get in a car? No steps tracked. You ride your bike? No steps tracked. It synchs to your cellphone ap when connected to the internet, but gathers data all the time.

My point: Technology exists to do this, to monitor progress and know when distances are reached by cheating/skipping/whatever, even while not connected to the internet. Maybe, just maybe, Amazon is implementing something like this. Maybe it's only in its newer kindles, but this would be a huge improvement.

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »
So does this mean we can expect to see another day where no page reads show up. Because i really enjoyed that hiccup last month. ;)

Offline Stewart Matthews

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »
Amazon has already stripped out the "non-linear reading" sentence mentioned in the prior page.

Boo...

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
Boo...

That doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I worked on a few e-commerce sites where we had to purposely make our error messages and help pages more vague, because we were giving too much info and letting the scammers know exactly how to abuse the system.  Could be a similar case here.

Making the undead fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
I got the email too. Looks like they're listening and taking care of all of the issues everyone's been having. That's not to lighten anyone's frustrations -- but I try to be optimistic, and I do appreciate that they're trying. We'll see what happens.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline tresero

• Vegas Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2017, 09:18:47 AM »
Since D2D now has Overdrive getting out of KU3 makes sense. I just got an e-mail this morning to that effect and immediately put all my books in overdrive.  Now my books will show up in local libraries which is what I have always wanted.

Pronoun has had Overdrive for a while.

Offline Holden

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
also,

not to be that guy, but since this whole thread is basically about dissecting semantics, kenpc v3.0 ≠ ku3.

Offline ebbrown

• South Jersey
  • Insulting the written word, one word at a time
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page E.B. Brown
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »
From the link :

KENPC v3.0
We released KENPC v3.0 to improve the way we measure how many pages of each book Kindle Unlimited and KOLL customers read. This update makes a number of improvements, including improving our ability to measure pages read for such cases as non-linear reading. We're constantly working to improve our programs and increase fairness of how we allocate the KDP Select Global Fund. These changes continue to improve the program and reward authors whose books are being borrowed and read the most by customers.

Bolding is mine.
I find this very interesting and will be watching to see how it plays out. There is a big difference between linear reading and counting the furthest page read.

FB AUTHOR PAGE | FB PROFILE | AUTHOR WEBSITE

RR BOOKS PROMOS:
Sept 6 MML - closes 8/25 ** Last MML until December **
| Newsletter Book Promos
Heroes & Heartbreakers Cross Promo (Contemporary Romance) entries close 9/12
Dark & Dangerous Cross Promo (Thriller & Suspense) entries close 9/26

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2017, 09:27:28 AM »
My numbers are up a little bit.

I am thinking they have something going on and working on the page flip issue and the spammers. Just a guess though.

Offline ebbrown

• South Jersey
  • Insulting the written word, one word at a time
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page E.B. Brown
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
Amazon has already stripped out the "non-linear reading" sentence mentioned in the prior page.

wow. That was fast. ???

FB AUTHOR PAGE | FB PROFILE | AUTHOR WEBSITE

RR BOOKS PROMOS:
Sept 6 MML - closes 8/25 ** Last MML until December **
| Newsletter Book Promos
Heroes & Heartbreakers Cross Promo (Contemporary Romance) entries close 9/12
Dark & Dangerous Cross Promo (Thriller & Suspense) entries close 9/26

Offline julieorleans

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »
FWIW-- had a conversation with a KDP rep on a related subject subject this morning and just happened to ask what the changes actually are. He said, "before, it (meaning, I presume, the page count) was just kind of an average. Now it's more precise." While I applaud "more precise", the other part's pretty chilling. I have to admit I was too nonplussed to ask "an average of what?"

Online Becca Mills

• California
  • Beware the yellow snowball.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
wow. That was fast. ???

So ... if they did attempt improvement in that area, they don't have enough confidence in it to want to mention it?

Offline Athena Grayson

• View Profile
    • Athena Grayson
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
It is simply not possible for Amazon to determine the exact number of pages read. Why? Because we can read with internet connection turned off.

Let's say I go to the beach with no internet connection and read 300 pages. Then I turn my internet back on when I'm home and Amazon will see that I left off at 300 pages. But what if, when my internet is off, I skip from chapter 2 to chapter 10 and still end up on page 300. When my internet is back on I'll still be at page 300.

Because we can read on kindle devices with no internet, it is simply impossible for Amazon to accurately determine the number of pages that have been read and not skipped over.

Or like I used to do, where I would read an entire book offline on my old McPicky Kindle e-ink generation 2, finish it and go back to the cover page because I am weird that way, and the page-reads would only register as one page. Once I figured out I was doing that, I went back and made sure to connect to the internet with McPicky so my having made it to the end of the book would register. *Then* I could satisfy my weird neatnikness and put it back on the cover page.

I suspect they always have had the ability to count pages, figure out where you leave off, etc. They haven't really utilized it yet, though, because it comes up very close to invading privacy that people did not sign up for when they adopted kindles. Tying it to the internet connection allows them to count pages as part of a service of being able to sync your reads across devices. Logging it separately might butt up against privacy laws in ways that aren't readily obvious until the lawyers get hold of them.

My single KU book went from 504 KENPC to 506 KENPC but if I get one read every three months on it, it's a shocker.

Space Opera...With Girl Cooties!
Athena Grayson | site | newsletter | facebook

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
also,

not to be that guy, but since this whole thread is basically about dissecting semantics, kenpc v3.0 ≠ ku3.

Yeah, I think it's a misnomer to call this KU3. This is looking more like a tweak. A rolling out of KU3 to my mind would mean more of a wholesale change to the program.

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »
Still working through all this.

Has anyone heard whether or not any bonus-stuffed books have been throttled? THAT would be big. But I'm dubious.

I have 89 books, all indicating v3. 78 of them are unchanged. Of the 12 that have changed, here are the numbers:

new     old   percent   pages +/-   type
376     325      115.7%    +51      Non-Fic
1838  1836     100.1%     +2       Box
326     325      100.3%      +1   
321     320      100.3%      +1   
247     249       99.2%       -2   
422     428       98.6%       -6   
2209   2218     99.6%       -9         Box
374     383       97.7%       -9   
696     720       96.7%      -24   
265     310       85.5%      -45   
526     609       86.4%      -83   
631     804       78.5%    -173   

Note that the book that gained the most is a pictures- and tables- heavy non-fiction travel title.

Of the 16 single-author box set titles we have, 2 changed: 1 gained 2 pages, the other lost 9.

The 4 books that had substantial losses are older epubs I haven't swapped out for the Word docs I've been uploading over the past couple of years. As I've uploaded those Word docs across our other titles, many of those other books lost up to 20% too. So those books follow the same trend in my catalogs.

In total, we lost 296 pages, or 0.6% of our total page numbers (48,977 now vs. 49,273 before).

IF those "improvements" mean not counting bonus books, I think it's a fair trade. If not, and there's already walk-back on the "non-linear reading" language, then who knows right now?

Meanwhile, watching and waiting with everyone else... I'm assuming there was a time period for implementing, which is why some folk saw some wonkiness on the dashboard last night in the US. I wouldn't put much stock in the page reads numbers reported between today and yesterday being what we'll continue to see since that seems to have been a transition period, so there might have been some catch-up that needed to happen.

And personally, I would have been more comforted had they said payouts would improve for most folk, rather than they wouldn't change.
  (click to enbiggen)

Online Lynn is a pseud--uh, never mind

• USA
  • My dog is bigger than your dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »
So ... if they did attempt improvement in that area, they don't have enough confidence in it to want to mention it?

As an eternal optimist, I'm going with Rick's suggestion that maybe the didn't mean to put that in and clue in the scammers to their new methods of counting pages.

I mean, if I was a scammer and saw that, I'd immediately change to a read-all-the-way-through process and stop having my scammer-helpers skip to the back from page one. And I'd do it so fast that unless Amazon had a time machine they wouldn't be able to use their new method of counting to stop me from collecting my ill-gotten loot.
I don't have a dog.

Offline inconsequential

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »
all indicating v3

How do you see what a book is indicating?  ???

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »

So this means authors will now be paid for re-reads, up to the 3,000 pages read mark? For example if I have a 300 page book, and Bob re-reads it 5 times, I'll be paid for 1,500 pages?

On one hand, that sounds great, but, surely this means that people will no longer need to stuff. They can just create circles where people read a short novella 10+ times until that cap's met?

I suppose we'll see how it all plays out.
I don't think it says that. I believe that is saying you can have a maximum of 3000 pages in your book that they will pay for and if you have more that they won't pay.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
There's a Wayback Machine save for the 2.0 terms dated July 3, 2017. The 3,000-page cap was pre-existing.

I remember that, too, from back even before then. The 3,000-page cap is not new.

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »
Pronoun has had Overdrive for a while.

Smashwords has had Overdrive for years. I guess somebody was just holding out for the D2D/Overdrive combo...

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
I spot checked a few of my books. Looks like I lost 3-4 pages from some of them and the 5-book omnibus gained 8 pages. Now let's see what effect any of this has on page payouts.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
My page counts are identical, so I'm wondering if only the people using Jutoh and Vellum and other types of files are seeing the KNPC V3 drops. I use simple word files.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac