Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.
KB Featured
TBD
by TBD

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2016-01-12
Bestseller ranking: 757432

Product Description
With the odd disappearance of her parents, Gussie Gibson has lived her entire life with her granny on a peaceful pecan orchard, owned by the meanest man in all of Georgia—Mr. J.P. Combs. Granny teaches Gussie many valuable life lessons as a black woman growing up in the still-segregated south. Mr. Combs is an evil underhanded banker who takes liberties beyond his privilege. When Granny dies, Combs informs Gussie she owes him back rent—but he wants much more than money for payment—and more than Gussie can live with.
After defending herself against his sexual advances, Gussie flees to escape certain vigilante justice when she meets a charming, handsome stranger, Sam Johnson, who is just returning from World War II.
Gussie and Sam’s friendship is short-lived when Mr. Combs hunts her down and drags her back to Green Ridge, driven by his craving for revenge and a grudge too deep to comprehend. Gussie fights to return to Sam and his lo...

Author Topic: KU 3  (Read 35171 times)  

Offline P.T. Phronk

• London, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Phronk.com
Re: KU 3
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »
I have two books that have not gotten any page reads in months, but are in KU, if anyone is up for testing specific hypotheses about KU3 changes. Just send me a DM.

Offline mmatting

• Munich
    • View Profile
    • Selfpublisherbibel.de
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »
I just conducted a test on a book that doesn't get many page reads and had none for today.
I opened the book and clicked to the end, basically viewing 3 pages.
Page reads registers - 3

I just did the same test: opened the KU book and then used the TOC to advance to the end. The bad result: all pages read. Nothing has changed.
How did you read? I used the online reader.

Best, Matthias

Offline Ava Glass

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »
I just did the same test: opened the KU book and then used the TOC to advance to the end. The bad result: all pages read. Nothing has changed.

Best, Matthias

Did you make sure the book is KENPC version 3.0?

Offline mmatting

• Munich
    • View Profile
    • Selfpublisherbibel.de
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2017, 03:54:46 PM »
Did you make sure the book is KENPC version 3.0?

Yes, it is.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »
Someone on this forum opened my book, read a few pages, then skipped to the end and read a few pages. that was a couple of hours ago. On the dashboard, it says 0 pages read. on the "month to date" tab, it says 270 pages read. On Book Report, it says 0 pages read.

I'm not sure we can believe anything Zon is telling us today.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
Of my books done my "old" way with Mobi Creator, a couple lost 3 pages, but most stayed the same. I'm one of those who had a big loss when they adjusted KENPC count before, 20-25%, so maybe they figure they've skinned me enough. I've only done 2 with Vellum so far. The 32,000-word novella stayed the same. The 53,000-word short novel is the only one of my books that lost enough to make me unhappy - about 10%.

Offline Ava Glass

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
Someone on this forum opened my book, read a few pages, then skipped to the end and read a few pages. that was a couple of hours ago. On the dashboard, it says 0 pages read. on the "month to date" tab, it says 270 pages read. On Book Report, it says 0 pages read.

I'm not sure we can believe anything Zon is telling us today.

Which device was the book read on?

It would be interesting to compare results from books read on iOS apps and Kindles to results from the PC app and online reader. I don't think the latter two even have Page Flip yet.

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »
My book stayed at the same KENP page count. I have had my best day ever in terms of pages read, though. Not sure if that has anything to do with the changes.
God Child (The God War's Chosen, #2): 65%

The Broken Sky (The Broken Sky, #1: 10%
Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »

Best, Matthias

I also used the online reader but now that you mention it, I didn't use the TOC, I just used the slider to hit the last page. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2017, 04:57:01 PM »
I've tested two more books, one direct-to-end and one page-by-page using page flip but neither are showing page reads yet.

I do think today's not the day to come to any conclusions- it's likely they are still tweaking things.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
I've not read the whole thread, so no idea if anyone has reported this, but....

All my novels are unchanged. Some have 1 additional page, but this could have happened last time I updated my backmatter in them.

But they slash and burned about a third of my non-fiction. They now have 1/4 of the Kenpc they had yesterday. 500+ down to around 120.

Whats different? The chapters are all short, being less than a page.

But that's not all. 4 of the 5 books in my bundle were slashed, but the bundle itself was not.

So it appears as if one of the things they did was determine the average length of each chapter in the book, and if it fell below the kenpc page definition, they ignored the page feeds when calculating kenpc.

As far as reads are concerned, I'm seeing nothing to worry about. I'm at the same level as yesterday, 3.5 hours ahead of day cutoff, so should in fact finish up on yesterday.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »
The test Becca and I conducted appears to confirm that by going to the end of the book, skipping everything from page 5 to page end, gets you a full page read. It also takes forever (almost 4 hours) for it to show up on the dashboard and Book Report, though it showed up three hours ago on the "month to date" tab on Zon's reports.

For a brief, shining moment I thought we'd escaped the twilight zone.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
My page reads seem exactly in line with expectations, possibly up a little.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2017, 06:26:25 PM »
The test Becca and I conducted appears to confirm that by going to the end of the book, skipping everything from page 5 to page end, gets you a full page read. It also takes forever (almost 4 hours) for it to show up on the dashboard and Book Report, though it showed up three hours ago on the "month to date" tab on Zon's reports.

I think the whole Amazon ecosystem is stuck in super slo-mo today, that slog in updating is probably not related to KENPC 3.0, per se.

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »
Huh...that report is gone now...

How much were they paying you per page?

Because I agree:

Having that up and accurate would be evidence that they knew the rate they planned to pay a month before they 'calculated' it.

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
Everything seems to be working fine for us ... page reads and calculations okay.

Offline Ava Glass

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2017, 06:59:58 PM »

What about Amazon improving their "ability to measure pages read for such cases as non-linear reading"? Was that part deleted because it's not working correctly?

Offline DanaFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »
Just a note - I just checked Apple's App Store for updates (I have the kindle app for iPhone) and Amazon issued an app update for Kindle on 7/28/17. The reason given is readers can now search their notes and highlights. Of course, it could also have other updates to it that they are not mentioning.

All that to say, for the people testing if non-linear reading is finally being addressed, it may not be addressed if the person testing on their relevant device hasn't done a software update. I no longer have a KU subscription, so I cannot offer to test on my iOS device.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2017, 07:02:55 PM »
What about Amazon improving their "ability to measure pages read for such cases as non-linear reading"? Was that part deleted because it's not working correctly?

Apparently. :(

Offline pwtucker

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • TransientMe
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »
My page reads are up 150% today, but my author and sales ranks have all taken dramatic and sudden dives. Anybody else seeing similar changes?

Offline davidestesauthor

• Honolulu, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2017, 07:44:14 PM »
I saw the exact same thing, with page reads going from 100k yesterday to over 150k. I am not certain whether to believe the numbers, but I'm not complaining at the moment as today would be a personal daily high. I did have a new release in my main series a few days ago, so that could be part of the reason for the huge increase but it doesn't account for all of it. Anyone else have major increases in page reads today? Just trying to discern whether it was caused by KENPC 3.0 or if it's just organic.

David Estes

Offline davidestesauthor

• Honolulu, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2017, 07:46:40 PM »
My page reads are up 150% today, but my author and sales ranks have all taken dramatic and sudden dives. Anybody else seeing similar changes?

I did NOT see much of a change in my author/books ranks, however, except for book two of my series which hit a new high rank.

David Estes

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
With all due respect, you're wrong. Misinformation is dangerous. This issue isn't a hardware issue, it's a software issue meaning even if older devices didn't ship with the ability, it can be retroactively added. And that's assuming it needs to be within the kindle ecosystem. Kindle is an app, and that app can capture data. It's the same thing with Snapchat. If you view a photo while offline it'll still show as read as soon as your online. It has nothing to do with the phone and everything to do with the app itself and permissions granted by using the app.

With all due respect you do not understand software. A little knowledge is dangerous. Software is always a hardware issue and a large proportion of uncrushed bugs relate to the software not coping with the idiosyncrises of particular hardware setups. That explains why Amazon is reluctant to update Kindles in case it breaks the hardware. I read on a Kindle Ebook Wifi and it has not had a software update since March 2016, three months before Page Flip was announced.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »
My page reads for today, obviously well before the end of the day, are up 100%. It's the highest they've been in more than 30 days. All of my rankings have slipped though, a couple fairly drastically. I have no clue what all this means.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2017, 08:35:47 PM »
My page reads for today, obviously well before the end of the day, are up 100%. It's the highest they've been in more than 30 days. All of my rankings have slipped though, a couple fairly drastically. I have no clue what all this means.

it sounds like page reads were being held up while they updated this stuff: ranks reflected the reads you weren't seeing credits for and all that. Now you're getting the reads but the ranks were already updated.

I'm legitimately just guessing tho.