Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: KU 3  (Read 35054 times)  

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
Re: KU 3
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
With all due respect you do not understand software. A little knowledge is dangerous. Software is always a hardware issue and a large proportion of uncrushed bugs relate to the software not coping with the idiosyncrises of particular hardware setups. That explains why Amazon is reluctant to update Kindles in case it breaks the hardware. I read on a Kindle Ebook Wifi and it has not had a software update since March 2016, three months before Page Flip was announced.

Even if I don't update my iPhone, individual apps still update. Your kindle is a device, that device runs the kindle software. Whether or not you have all the bells and whistles doesn't change the fact that they can still update the system in the background.

I've had the same kindle since 2015. It also hasn't been updated because the only thing I use it for is reading
ARC copies and seeing how my books look. And it runs on android software which I don't trust to not break, so it's still running the same version since it was unboxed .  I've done multiple tests with my own books and KU, and even while reading books offline, the reads still show up.

K.B. Nelson | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »
I have about fifteen pages of excerpts from my other books at the back of each of my books. Ny KENP 3.0 went down about twenty pages for each book. So I'm guessing that in KENP 3.0 I now  won't be credited with page reads for these excerpts being read. That's fine by me because I only put them in to hopefully get a reader to look at my other books (I only write standalones and I find these excerpts really help). So if my excerpts are being dropped from the KENP counting, maybe we could all indulge in some wishful hoping that maybe the stuffing in stuffed books is meeting a similar fate. ;)

Lorain O'Neil

Offline Lee Carlon

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • www.leecarlon.com
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »
My page reads are up 150% today, but my author and sales ranks have all taken dramatic and sudden dives. Anybody else seeing similar changes?

Yeah, very similar for me. My page reads are up 300% (they've been this high before, but only once). My author rank also dipped though, which was surprising.

it sounds like page reads were being held up while they updated this stuff: ranks reflected the reads you weren't seeing credits for and all that. Now you're getting the reads but the ranks were already updated.

I'm legitimately just guessing tho.
Seems plausible, but the books have been climbing lately after I made some small changes (fixed the headings for the look inside feature on iPhone), so who really knows what the cause is, but your thoughts make sense to me.

Also, on page count, some of my books are down a couple of pages, while others are up between 10% and 20%. I use Vellum to compile.

Lee Carlon

Offline skywalker

• View Profile
    • Brain Science for a Better Life
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2017, 12:58:57 AM »
They are listening. Whether or not the new technology works remains to be seen.
Exactly

Offline Tomass

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2017, 02:06:03 AM »
Yeah, very similar for me. My page reads are up 300% (they've been this high before, but only once). My author rank also dipped though, which was surprising.

Very interesting... V3 seems to have created changes that all across the board - from decreases in page count all the way to steep increases like this. Any early guesses about specifically what they have done to KENPC 3 to make this change happen?

I put together a quick post about this by the way - about the parts that are known to us, along with some of my opinion as to what's going on on the inside regarding this change. In case anyone is interested: KENPC V3.0

Offline Lee Carlon

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • www.leecarlon.com
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2017, 02:46:06 AM »
Very interesting... V3 seems to have created changes that all across the board - from decreases in page count all the way to steep increases like this. Any early guesses about specifically what they have done to KENPC 3 to make this change happen?

I put together a quick post about this by the way - about the parts that are known to us, along with some of my opinion as to what's going on on the inside regarding this change. In case anyone is interested: KENPC V3.0

Hi Tomass, note that's an increase in pages read that day, not total number of pages in the book :) Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Lee Carlon

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2017, 05:04:26 AM »
Actually, it's "KENPC V3.0."

Well, if you want to nitpick, fine. It's not 3.0. Yet. We don't actually know what all is really changed. Amazon isn't saying, we're just guessing. If multiple books (stuffed content) isn't being counted any more, for example, then I'd say we've hit the third iteration. YMMV.

Anyway, what does it matter? Something changed. Some honest writers will be affected negatively, some won't. Some scammers may be stopped, some won't.Hopefully more will be than won't be. If this means pages are truly counted (and some experiments on another forum indicate they are now accurate with no page flip or paging back screw ups), then I'm good.It appears some of the stuffers have decided KU is no longer viable. That's good.

I believe there are still issues with reading on the cloud. Perhaps that needs tweaking? Who knows, Amazon certainly won't be blabbing about it.

So far, I have normal page reads. I still don't have my data from the old hard drive, so can't check KENPC totals. I'd like to get more pages read showing just from these changes, but I don't seem to be one of the special kids. ;)
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2017, 05:20:41 AM »
Everyone needs to take a deep breath. I see people attributing increased page reads to some mythical change. My reads are down and sales are non-existent. Monitoring page reads is still broken. Look to sunspots or phases of the moon if you want to find the cause of yesterday's Events.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2017, 05:29:36 AM »
it sounds like page reads were being held up while they updated this stuff: ranks reflected the reads you weren't seeing credits for and all that. Now you're getting the reads but the ranks were already updated.

I'm legitimately just guessing tho.

Could they have changed the weight of a borrow in the ranking system, maybe? So today, if we're getting as many borrows as we did a week ago, it is not doing as much for our rank. Maybe a borrow is only equivalent to half a sale? This is only a WAG. I took a hit to ranking as well, but it wasn't huge. (and Tuesday or Thursday is always my worst day of the week anyway.) The newest book dropped 700 spots but within its subgenre (which is really all I care about because ranking there is what drives borrows), it didn't shift.

I'm not obsessive enough to look at rankings or top 100 often, but if my WAG is so, wouldn't have tradpub books gotten a boost from that?

Also, my page reads have been up since July 28, for people keeping score, jumping from 30K to 40K per day. No ads, new releases, or much of anything happened in late July to cause that. I'm doubting it's a coincidence.

Online John Etzil

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2017, 05:44:09 AM »
Does whisper sync affect page reads?

John Etzil

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2017, 06:30:24 AM »
Everyone needs to take a deep breath. I see people attributing increased page reads to some mythical change. My reads are down and sales are non-existent. Monitoring page reads is still broken. Look to sunspots or phases of the moon if you want to find the cause of yesterday's Events.
That could be the case, or it could be the changes are still propagating. Assuming everyone here is reporting their data correctly, there are some test results that suggest some problems are fixed, others that suggest the situation remains the same. The only way to account for that kind of inconsistency is to assume that the system adjustment is in progress but hasn't finished, and/or that it may depend on device or app updates, which wouldn't occur simultaneously everywhere.

As far as borrow impact on rank, I don't have enough data to be sure, but my author rank changed very little yesterday, but I could tell from book rank shifts that I had some borrows. My numbers are small, but it looks as if that part hasn't changed appreciably. The sudden surge in pages read/drop in rank some people experienced sounds to me more like a delay in reporting the pages read fully, creating an apparent drop in ranking by separating the borrows further from their associated pages read than normal. I guess only time will tell...

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »
If this means pages are truly counted (and some experiments on another forum indicate they are now accurate with no page flip or paging back screw ups), then I'm good.It appears some of the stuffers have decided KU is no longer viable. That's good.

Two of the three people I tested with (BR being one of them) have gotten back to me. Nothing's changed -- I generated full-book reads for them by reading a page or two at the beginning and then skipping to the end. This was with the Kindle Cloud Reader, so there's no possibility that my device/app wasn't updated, or whatever. Paging through a book lightning-fast also generated page-reads. Sure seems to me like nothing's been fixed.

Lauriejoyeltahs

« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
Two of the three people I tested with (BR being one of them) have gotten back to me. Nothing's changed -- I generated full-book reads for them by reading a page or two at the beginning and then skipping to the end. This was with the Kindle Cloud Reader, so there's no possibility that my device/app wasn't updated, or whatever. Paging through a book lightning-fast also generated page-reads. Sure seems to me like nothing's been fixed.

Or since there are way fewer people using the cloud reader and it's the only "device" I've seen people say there is no change on, they didn't bother with it.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
Or since there are way fewer people using the cloud reader and it's the only "device" I've seen people say there is no change on, they didn't bother with it.

Really??

Okay, someone want to shoot me one more book, and I'll try on my phone?

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2017, 09:57:47 AM »
My Kindle Paperwhite, wifi/4G, was last updated April 17. The menu selection to update it manually is grayed out. That update, and the two previous to it, provided enhanced manga capabilities, the ability to read ragged right, and "performance enhancements".  It looks as though manga is a much larger point of emphasis than fixing page reads in KU.

The only updates I've seen anyone mention in this thread were to the app on iPhones.  The app on my Android phone shows no sign of an update. Anyone see an update to anything else?

Lauriejoyeltahs

« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
My Kindle Paperwhite, wifi/4G, was last updated April 17. The menu selection to update it manually is grayed out. That update, and the two previous to it, provided enhanced manga capabilities, the ability to read ragged right, and "performance enhancements".  It looks as though manga is a much larger point of emphasis than fixing page reads in KU.

The only updates I've seen anyone mention in this thread were to the app on iPhones.  The app on my Android phone shows no sign of an update. Anyone see an update to anything else?

Google play App Store :

What's New
You can now read using left-aligned (ragged right) text instead of justified (aligned on both left and right margin). This new alignment option can be selected from the Display Settings (Aa) menu within Kindle books that support Enhanced Typesetting. On the Kindle eBook Store page, look for "Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled" in the features list.
Additional information
Updated
July 27, 2017

Size
Varies with device

Installs
100,000,000 - 500,000,000

Current Version
Varies with device

Requires Android
Varies with device

Content Rating
Teen
Learn more 
Interactive Elements
Users Interact

Permissions
View details 
Flag as inappropriate 
Offered By
Amazon Mobile LLC

Developer
Visit website
Email kindle-cs-support@amazon.com
Privacy Policy

Lauriejoyeltahs

« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
And I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made economical decisions. Forgot link to play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.kindle&hl=en

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
How much were they paying you per page?

I wish I'd taken a screen grab. Can't remember now.

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
My Voyage and Oasis have received several updates in the last few months. The latest just came out like a week ago or so and its 5.8.10. That update is also for the Paperwhite 2 and 3. The current one being sold is #3. The very first PW which was first sold in late 2012 does not have the current updates I believe. Anything after that does.
I don't keep track how often my android app updates as I so rarely look at the kindle app.

There is a thread in the kindle corner with postings on continuous updates.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:33:53 AM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »
My Kindle PaperWhite (which is about three years old) force updated last night. I only had it on about thirty seconds and it went into update mode.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »
my Fire still has not updated, for those playing along at home.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »
Google play App Store :

What's New
You can now read using left-aligned (ragged right) text instead of justified (aligned on both left and right margin). This new alignment option can be selected from the Display Settings (Aa) menu within Kindle books that support Enhanced Typesetting. On the Kindle eBook Store page, look for "Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled" in the features list.
Additional information
Updated
July 27, 2017

And this update (the functionality about ragged right) was what hit my Paperwhite in April. The version on my Kindle is 5.8.9.2. They probably don't even have the same programmers working on the apps for the different devices.

Lauriejoyeltahs

« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
And this update (the functionality about ragged right) was what hit my Paperwhite in April. The version on my Kindle is 5.8.9.2. They probably don't even have the same programmers working on the apps for the different devices.

That's what I mean, it sounds like they may have fixed the issue with Apple but maybe not all devices. I have no idea either way was just a thought as I know I get different updates for the same app on different devices.

Offline davidestesauthor

• Honolulu, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »

While I agree with the deep breath part, I have spoken to a number of authors who hit all-time highs in page reads yesterday, and not by a small margin, myself included. In most of these cases, our page reads had been very consistent for the previous month, or even longer, and certainly without changes of 50-300% from one day to the next. It seems more than a coincidence, especially considering it seems most of us have more normal levels of page reads today. I'm not saying this was all caused by something Amazon did along with KENPC 3.0, but it was strange that it happened on the same day. In any case, I'm hoping any changes help to eliminate scammers and improve the KU payout per page for the rest of us!

David Estes

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
While I agree with the deep breath part, I have spoken to a number of authors who hit all-time highs in page reads yesterday, and not by a small margin, myself included. In most of these cases, our page reads had been very consistent for the previous month, or even longer, and certainly without changes of 50-300% from one day to the next. It seems more than a coincidence, especially considering it seems most of us have more normal levels of page reads today. I'm not saying this was all caused by something Amazon did along with KENPC 3.0, but it was strange that it happened on the same day. In any case, I'm hoping any changes help to eliminate scammers and improve the KU payout per page for the rest of us!

Agree with this. I'm one of those who saw a huge increase in pages read yesterday (30% higher than my previous best ever day), most of it from the fantasy box set, with a smaller but noticeable increase in the newest fantasy. The v3 KENPC numbers were unchanged except for one book which dropped by about 10%. Today, however, pages read are entirely normal again so far (sadly  :(). I'm guessing there was some catchup or adjustment factor at work, and everything will be back to normal now.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 58 and counting...