by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 8023

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: Does anyone know who is running "Crave Books"?  (Read 2949 times)  

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
Does anyone know who is running "Crave Books"?
« on: August 02, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »
Just wondering if it is legit. http://www.cravebooks.com/

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
Re: Does anyone know who is running "Crave Books"?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:28:44 PM »
You can go to https://whois.icann.org and look it up.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Online SBlake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 02:51:21 PM »
Please post your results. I have them listed as a good place to advertise romance, and while I haven't bought a feature yet, they're on my list for a September promo.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 03:50:43 PM »
Someone sent me a message saying that "the web site is registered to a guy who doesn't live there (it's a small single family house and no one with his name is associated with it) and to a company name that isn't registered in Florida. The phone number is invalid. It's a Virginia area code but the number itself doesn't exist."

So ... it sounds a little bit sketchy. The domain was registered in 2009, but this is the first I've heard of them.

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 03:52:12 PM »
Is it new? It says your book will be featured on their site, but you cannot browse deals on their site?  It says you'll get a Facebook post, but the only Crave Books on Facebook is a blogger. There's also no "about us" or other social media links which is another huge red flag.

Reminds me alot of another business that sounds like crave...  ::)

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 04:05:57 PM »
I found this FB page, but it is in another language: https://www.facebook.com/CraveBooks/

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
Ah, here is the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ReadCraveBooks/

It only has 40 likes.

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 04:15:13 PM »
I found this FB page, but it is in another language: https://www.facebook.com/CraveBooks/

This is the one I found. Feels scammy to me. What are they charging to post your title to their 40 likes on FB?

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:17:38 PM »
This is the one I found. Feels scammy to me. What are they charging to post your title to their 40 likes on FB?

I think $18 for the 10,000+ mailing list. I presume that includes $5 for the boosted FB post.

Offline AJC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 03:10:09 AM »
I got an email from them which concerns me as I have never signed up to receive emails from them (as far as I'm aware). So how did they get it?

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 03:36:14 AM »
I got an email from them which concerns me as I have never signed up to receive emails from them (as far as I'm aware). So how did they get it?

Took me 5 seconds to find an email address on your web site.

Reason #8745 to be anonymous on writing forums: Random spammers can't find you to make you a recipient of their invitations.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:39:15 AM by RBN »

Offline Raquel Lyon

• England
  • Getting there slowly, one word at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Raquel Lyon
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »

Ditto.  >:(

Raquel Lyon | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Offline jrwilson

• View Profile
    • jamiewilsonbooks
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »
I just got an email from them too.  Weird.

Jamie Wilson | My Blog

Online AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:24 AM »
I got an email from them today, too. And to an old email address that is no longer active (domain folded, but they set up perma-forwarding).  ???
GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 35%

Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (1st Draft): 100%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Blog | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Newsletter | Patreon | Haunted Unicorn Publishing

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
Reason #8745 to be anonymous on writing forums: Random spammers can't find you to make you a recipient of their invitations.

If they are scrubbing websites for email addresses they are not a legitimate business. I got an email today too and reported it as spam.

Also, the email sucked donkey balls. The pictures were all blown up and distorted.

Online SBlake

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
I have Crave Romance listed as a Fiverr deal. Is that right?

Offline PamelaKelley

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 09:44:30 AM »

I think $18 for the 10,000+ mailing list. I presume that includes $5 for the boosted FB post.

They are more expensive than Bookbub. Sounds crazy to say that given what Bookbub charges, but when you do the math, it's vastly more expensive. With this pricing, if they had the same size list as Bookbub--take contemporary romance as an example, the ad would cost you $4,248, instead of Bookbub's price of $372 on a free ad.  Interesting, huh?   Bookbub's cost, if you emailed to only 10,000 on the contemporary list (not possible, but just for comparison), would cost you $1.57 and this service charges $18.   

Offline TonyGonline

• England
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
Two sites I use when trying to get an idea about a promotion site, especially one I don't know is easycounter.com and alexa.com.
Of course these are only a guide, but you get a fair idea, when using both, how popular a site is, how many page reads they get, and other information about the owner and their social media performance.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
They are more expensive than Bookbub. Sounds crazy to say that given what Bookbub charges, but when you do the math, it's vastly more expensive. With this pricing, if they had the same size list as Bookbub--take contemporary romance as an example, the ad would cost you $4,248, instead of Bookbub's price of $372 on a free ad.  Interesting, huh?   Bookbub's cost, if you emailed to only 10,000 on the contemporary list (not possible, but just for comparison), would cost you $1.57 and this service charges $18.

Yeah, and BookBub's email addresses are more likely to be authentic. :-P

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 10:09:23 AM »
I have Crave Romance listed as a Fiverr deal. Is that right?

No idea ... maybe they reach people there too.

Offline DustinM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 10:31:57 AM »

That's not really a fair comparison though. Run those same numbers with ANY ebook advertising service and it comes out looking just as lopsided. Bookbud is just a really good deal.

Online Lynn is a pseud--uh, never mind

• USA
  • My dog is bigger than your dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »
That's not really a fair comparison though. Run those same numbers with ANY ebook advertising service and it comes out looking just as lopsided. Bookbud is just a really good deal.
From most of the actual profit numbers I've seen, it's not that Bookbub is a really good deal, it's that almost every other service is a bad deal.
I don't have a dog.

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »
I got an email from them also. They must be scraping emails from somewhere. If that is your newsletter blast then I see a red flag. Sending an email to a another book promo company isn't a great business plan.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
From most of the actual profit numbers I've seen, it's not that Bookbub is a really good deal, it's that almost every other service is a bad deal.

Nah, BookBub is a really good deal.

Offline ChristinePope

• Santa Fe, NM
    • View Profile
    • Christine Pope
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 04:51:15 PM »
I got an email out of the blue from them, too. Someone should really let them know that scraping addresses and sending unsolicited emails is not a good way to create a good impression for the product they're selling. :-/

Christine Pope | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing list

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »
I got an email out of the blue from them, too. Someone should really let them know that scraping addresses and sending unsolicited emails is not a good way to create a good impression for the product they're selling. :-/

And yet I signed up as a reader yesterday and got nothing! There's no double opt in, no welcome email, no previous day's deals, no information about setting your genre preferences. So make of that what you will...

Offline AJC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 02:39:22 AM »
Took me 5 seconds to find an email address on your web site.

But the email was to my private email address. Not my author one.

Offline Perry Constantine

• San Diego
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »
I also got an email from them. They're clearly scraping addresses from somewhere and emailing without permission.

Offline AJC

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
Got another email from them today. Yesterday was inviting me to advertise, today it's my 'daily book bargains' - that I didn't ask for, nor do I want. The email looks exactly like a BB email. Spam report sent.

I get that it's hard setting up a promo site, I'm doing the same, but I wouldn't dream, not for a second, of randomly emailing people who haven't asked to hear from me.  >:(

• San Diego
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 10:14:25 AM »
I made sure to report them as spam when I unsubscribed. Scammy [illegitimate persons].

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
Got my 'reader' one today.

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »
I'm getting their emails now advertising fiction and non-fiction. Emails look professional. I clicked on one of the links and it takes you to the books page on their site. You then have to click on another button to be taken to Amazon. I checked up on a non-fiction book for .99 and it is around 20K overall in Amazon and between 2-60 in 3 categories. Not bad. But I have no idea if the author just advertised with BookCrave or with a variety of other promo sites as well.

Patrice Williams Marks | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Youtube

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
I know who is behind this site... BOOKZIO.

I create burner emails with every signup so that if I start getting spam, I can delete the email and see who abused my email. Crave Books started emailing me using BookZio burner email.

Patrice Williams Marks | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Youtube

Offline Bookzio.com

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 06:54:14 AM »
Hello,

I know who is behind this site... BOOKZIO.

I create burner emails with every signup so that if I start getting spam, I can delete the email and see who abused my email. Crave Books started emailing me using BookZio burner email.

Thanks, I've now unsubscribed from them and reported all the emails I've gotten from them as spam.

I have no idea how your emails were shared - but I can guarantee you, that Bookzio had nothing to do with it. And it rather saddens me to see such a claim here.

My name is Philip Eliot and I am the owner of Bookzio.com (and marketing director) and would just like to make it clear that until this thread was brought to my attention I had never heard of Crave Books.

I would also like to make it clear that Bookzio has never shared email details with anyone.

When a reader subscribes to Bookzio, your email is sent directly to a highly reputable email service - Mailchimp - and you can read their security features here:
https://mailchimp.com/about/security/

And their 'Acceptable Use Policy' here (which we adhere to):
https://mailchimp.com/legal/acceptable_use/

The Bookzio website does not, at any time, collect or store email addresses, or contact details of any kind. Your email is collected and saved at Mailchimp, and if you choose to unsubscribe, you do so via Mailchimp. They are experts in the field of email delivery and security and we leave it entirely to them.

There is nowhere on our website or server where an email can be scraped or otherwise stolen. Because we don't store them. Mailchimp stores them, and - quite rightly - enforces all regulatory limitations on how those emails can be used.

Anyone who has ever subscribed to our daily newsletter knows that they get exactly what they signed up for - one daily email list of books on offer. We don't put adverts in the email. We don't send additional emails (except one day last Easter when a newsletter was sent with broken links! And we had to send it again with the links fixed.) You never get anything from Bookzio that you haven't signed up for. You don't even see ads on our website - just books.

If you write directly to us, using our gmail support email, then we answer you in a timely manner but do no more than that.

Bookzio.com is a 'real' business. We are more than a website. We are a small team of booklovers who live and breathe books, and spend our time thinking about how we can improve our service to our readers and authors - many of whom have written to tell us how much they appreciate our work. You can read some of our author testimonials here:
http://www.bookzio.com/promote-your-book

We are real people, here at Bookzio. We're not website hobbyists, or email scrapers or fly-by-nights. And believe it or not, we're not 'in it for the money' or any kind of short-term gain. We happen to love books, and reading. We love to help readers find great books, and help authors find readers.

I understand the skepticism that many people have when it comes to the online world. Websites are faceless properties. And sometimes it's difficult to tell which is a serious business, run by adults, dedicated to what they are doing, and which is just some automated script, running 24/7, set up by some guy in his underpants working on a laptop in his mother's basement. I can assure you - we are not the lattter!

It would be an act of absolute idiocy and self-destruction for Bookzio, as a living, breathing, book business, to do something as foolish as to share subscriber emails with anyone. We've been in business since 2014, and have slowly, but surely, grown to a subscriber list of 20,000+ readers, listing over 30 books every day in our newsletter. Over 10,000 different authors have had their books listed by us. And we're proud of our work - and our reputation.

I'm sorry you guys are getting spammed by some devious, short-term-minded individual/s - unfortunately, the internet world has more than its fair share of those: but I promise you it has nothing to do with me or anyone at Bookzio.com

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 07:03:06 AM »
Thanks, I've now unsubscribed from them and reported all the emails I've gotten from them as spam.

It's way too easy to jump on the condemnation bandwagon based upon incomplete information from the Internet. J.K. Rowling did it recently about Donald Trump but was then gracious enough to apologize when she discovered that she and many, many others were way wrong.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »
There is no doubt my Bookzio email was used. I only assigned that email to Bookzio. So if they did not intentionally share the emails personally, then they need to look into how they got ahold of their user's emails. It's apparent that more than one list was used, as not everyone has signed up for Bookzio.

But, their email list is apparently not secure. Otherwise, how else could Crave Books of gotten my specific "Bookzio" email address? I create these burner emails specifically so I can track back who sold my email address, or who is spamming me. I can then simply "delete" that forwarder/burner email and not bother with unsubscribing.

I looked up that email address, and Bookzio was the company assigned to it.

SEE BELOW:

Hello,

I have no idea how your emails were shared - but I can guarantee you, that Bookzio had nothing to do with it. And it rather saddens me to see such a claim here.

My name is Philip Eliot and I am the owner of Bookzio.com (and marketing director) and would just like to make it clear that until this thread was brought to my attention I had never heard of Crave Books.

I would also like to make it clear that Bookzio has never shared email details with anyone.

When a reader subscribes to Bookzio, your email is sent directly to a highly reputable email service - Mailchimp - and you can read their security features here:
https://mailchimp.com/about/security/

And their 'Acceptable Use Policy' here (which we adhere to):
https://mailchimp.com/legal/acceptable_use/

The Bookzio website does not, at any time, collect or store email addresses, or contact details of any kind. Your email is collected and saved at Mailchimp, and if you choose to unsubscribe, you do so via Mailchimp. They are experts in the field of email delivery and security and we leave it entirely to them.

There is nowhere on our website or server where an email can be scraped or otherwise stolen. Because we don't store them. Mailchimp stores them, and - quite rightly - enforces all regulatory limitations on how those emails can be used.

Anyone who has ever subscribed to our daily newsletter knows that they get exactly what they signed up for - one daily email list of books on offer. We don't put adverts in the email. We don't send additional emails (except one day last Easter when a newsletter was sent with broken links! And we had to send it again with the links fixed.) You never get anything from Bookzio that you haven't signed up for. You don't even see ads on our website - just books.

If you write directly to us, using our gmail support email, then we answer you in a timely manner but do no more than that.

Bookzio.com is a 'real' business. We are more than a website. We are a small team of booklovers who live and breathe books, and spend our time thinking about how we can improve our service to our readers and authors - many of whom have written to tell us how much they appreciate our work. You can read some of our author testimonials here:
http://www.bookzio.com/promote-your-book

We are real people, here at Bookzio. We're not website hobbyists, or email scrapers or fly-by-nights. And believe it or not, we're not 'in it for the money' or any kind of short-term gain. We happen to love books, and reading. We love to help readers find great books, and help authors find readers.

I understand the skepticism that many people have when it comes to the online world. Websites are faceless properties. And sometimes it's difficult to tell which is a serious business, run by adults, dedicated to what they are doing, and which is just some automated script, running 24/7, set up by some guy in his underpants working on a laptop in his mother's basement. I can assure you - we are not the lattter!

It would be an act of absolute idiocy and self-destruction for Bookzio, as a living, breathing, book business, to do something as foolish as to share subscriber emails with anyone. We've been in business since 2014, and have slowly, but surely, grown to a subscriber list of 20,000+ readers, listing over 30 books every day in our newsletter. Over 10,000 different authors have had their books listed by us. And we're proud of our work - and our reputation.

I'm sorry you guys are getting spammed by some devious, short-term-minded individual/s - unfortunately, the internet world has more than its fair share of those: but I promise you it has nothing to do with me or anyone at Bookzio.com
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:12:12 AM by Marseille, France or Bust »

• San Diego
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
It's way too easy to jump on the condemnation bandwagon based upon incomplete information from the Internet. J.K. Rowling did it recently about Donald Trump but was then gracious enough to apologize when she discovered that she and many, many others were way wrong.

I've spoken with Philip directly and apologized for my mistake. He graciously accepted. We're good.