Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.
KB Featured
TBD
by TBD

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2016-01-12
Bestseller ranking: 757432

Product Description
With the odd disappearance of her parents, Gussie Gibson has lived her entire life with her granny on a peaceful pecan orchard, owned by the meanest man in all of Georgia—Mr. J.P. Combs. Granny teaches Gussie many valuable life lessons as a black woman growing up in the still-segregated south. Mr. Combs is an evil underhanded banker who takes liberties beyond his privilege. When Granny dies, Combs informs Gussie she owes him back rent—but he wants much more than money for payment—and more than Gussie can live with.
After defending herself against his sexual advances, Gussie flees to escape certain vigilante justice when she meets a charming, handsome stranger, Sam Johnson, who is just returning from World War II.
Gussie and Sam’s friendship is short-lived when Mr. Combs hunts her down and drags her back to Green Ridge, driven by his craving for revenge and a grudge too deep to comprehend. Gussie fights to return to Sam and his lo...

Author Topic: Unable to reclaim internal storage  (Read 1042 times)  

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
    • View Profile
    • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
Unable to reclaim internal storage
« on: August 05, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
I've been trying to keep my Fire pretty lean, mostly just using it for a few games. I only have a handful of apps downloaded. However, I kept getting "Low Storage" messages. I'd go into the storage management and delete all the caches and things that I could, but I there is 3.56 GB being taken up by the "Miscellaneous" "Others" category, which is not deletable. Is there a way to reclaim any of this space short of resetting the Fire to factory defaults? I wouldn't mind downloading a file manager app if someone knows where I could find the space-hogging culprits. I really don't want to buy an SD card just because Amazon doesn't have decent drive management options.
Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Friend me at Goodreads

Online rlkubi

• View Profile
Re: Unable to reclaim internal storage
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
I'm interested too because mine is doing the same thing.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »
Back before my Fire went into exile in the back of my nightstand drawer, I used a program called ES File Explorer for exploring files with good results. I haven't used it in years, but it is still on the Amazon site:

https://www.amazon.com/ES-File-Explorer-Manager/dp/B008K6HN8I/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1505670244&sr=1-1&keywords=es+file+explorer

Might be worth downloading it and poking around. Considering the long list of permissions, I'd probably delete it when I was through using it.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
Poking around in a more modern Fire I have access to, which is nearly brand new with only a few apps on it, I see the Miscellaneous has a big 2.53 gig blob of "others" and two comparatively small files associated with Kindle, and some sort of image cache. The two small files are available for deletion, but I'm not give the option to delete the big "others" item. I suspect this is stuff the system uses, that can't be deleted without breaking things. If my guess is right, we are stuck with it.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
    • View Profile
    • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »
Poking around in a more modern Fire I have access to, which is nearly brand new with only a few apps on it, I see the Miscellaneous has a big 2.53 gig blob of "others" and two comparatively small files associated with Kindle, and some sort of image cache. The two small files are available for deletion, but I'm not give the option to delete the big "others" item. I suspect this is stuff the system uses, that can't be deleted without breaking things. If my guess is right, we are stuck with it.

I think you're probably right. I did try resetting to factory and starting over, and pretty quickly had to buy an SD card anyway. I suspect upgrades are taking up more and more space. I had the same problem with my Nexus tablet - Google pushed updates, even after they really didn't make sense for the older hardware I was using.
Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Friend me at Goodreads