Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: The Fifth Wave of Writing  (Read 3488 times)  

Offline Galaxy Dog

• Venice (Italy)
  • Brett Fitzpatrick
    • View Profile
    • BrettFitzpatrick.com
Re: The Fifth Wave of Writing
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »
This will never happen.

By the way, I also predicted the Internet wouldn't catch on.

Brett Fitzpatrick | Website

Offline Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »
What did the guys who made the Samsung Galaxy 8 say? This is quibbling. If you can talk to another brain instantly over a long distance, it's telepathy or near enough for government work.

I'm not quibbling. You can't really talk to another brain even over a short distance, not in any meaningful way, and not instantly by a longshot even with computers turning brainwaves into flashing lights. I'm just saying if your belief that telepathy is nearly here is based on these experiments or what Elon Musk is doing, and that fuels your belief in AI ruining it for writers anytime soon, you're probably concerned needlessly.

Offline Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
Here's a story written by a computer.  I think we're in trouble.

;)    ;D

That would win even the most rousing game of Mad Libs evarr.

Online Dpock

• Inland Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »

By the way, I also predicted the Internet wouldn't catch on.

I'm still holding on to my fax machine as a back-up, though I don't have a landline to plug it into.

Online ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2017, 04:34:49 PM »
I'm not quibbling. You can't really talk to another brain even over a short distance, not in any meaningful way, and not instantly by a longshot even with computers turning brainwaves into flashing lights. I'm just saying if your belief that telepathy is nearly here is based on these experiments or what Elon Musk is doing, and that fuels your belief in AI ruining it for writers anytime soon, you're probably concerned needlessly.

Maybe you can't, but I can.  I can say a few words and my phone will actually look up the person I want to say those few words too, no matter how far away or what continent the person may be on at the moment, and he can instantly respond. If that isn't telepathy, what is? I can communicate my thoughts at a distance without lifting a hand... This isn't based on something Elon Musk might be doing. It's based on something I've been doing personally for weeks, with an investment less than $1K in a shiny new phone. Something anybody on this forum can probably afford to do.

A little more miniaturization, the ability to implant a tiny, long-lasting device in one's body... and we're there. It can't be a decade away. Some people will be doing it in five years.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline P.J. Post

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »
I can say a few words and my phone will actually look up the person I want to say those few words too, no matter how far away or what continent the person may be on at the moment, and he can instantly respond. If that isn't telepathy, what is?

What you're describing is a really old mechanical advancement, radio wave technology, one that currently utilizes a system of amplifying stations and satellites to connect users. It doesn't matter how small the technology becomes. If the amplifying stations or satellites fail, the ability is lost. Telepathy is when one biological being communicates with another biological being through biological (super-sensory) means over distance.

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
There's actually a reason for that. And it isn't that Amazon doesn't know how to sell things. People love to gripe about that, but how many times have I bought the thing, decided the thing wasn't good enough, and then bought the same thing only better? How many times have I bought the thing, loved it, and decided to buy another as a gift?

You must be fun at parties. :)

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »
In terms of true cognitive reasoning, for the immediate future, as in a couple of lifetimes, AI is horsehockey.

I have a friend who works in computer science at a fairly high level that says pretty much the same thing. Fiction and conspiracies are fun, but we are a LONG way off. At least according to our current understanding.

There is always the possibility of some lightning-strike, unforeseen, Eureka! moment that changes everything we know about computers, but it's tough to plan around something like that.

Offline Perry Constantine

• Japan
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2017, 06:32:02 AM »
Maybe you can't, but I can.  I can say a few words and my phone will actually look up the person I want to say those few words too, no matter how far away or what continent the person may be on at the moment, and he can instantly respond. If that isn't telepathy, what is? I can communicate my thoughts at a distance without lifting a hand... This isn't based on something Elon Musk might be doing. It's based on something I've been doing personally for weeks, with an investment less than $1K in a shiny new phone. Something anybody on this forum can probably afford to do.

By this logic, I've been telepathic since I picked up a Razr with its fancy voice-dial option.

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »
By this logic, I've been telepathic since I picked up a Razr with its fancy voice-dial option.
And I am able to leap tall buildings in a single bound... every time I go to the airport.

We should form some sort of super-team! Or at the very least, a school where we can teach gifted youngsters to use these special powers.

Offline Perry Constantine

• Japan
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »
And I am able to leap tall buildings in a single bound... every time I go to the airport.

We should form some sort of super-team! Or at the very least, a school where we can teach gifted youngsters to use these special powers.

I can also run 100 miles an hour...when I'm speeding in my car on the highway.

And I can see in the dark...when I use my phone's flashlight feature.

Offline Skip Knox

• Richland, Washington
    • View Profile
    • Altearth
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »
But will they make a living at it? I've watched as DJs and karaoke operators have eroded work for live musicians. Yeah, we still play music. But who can live on peanuts?

It's disheartening to consider, but most people who played music for most of history did not make a living at it. They just played for themselves and their neighbors. Making a living at it was for a handful who played for the nobility and even then the work was precarious. Similarly, most who wrote did not live off the income; they had other sources. There's no reason to think the model of the past couple hundred years will be eternal.

No, I don't like it either.

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
O.K. David Pogue of Yahoo Finance, author of several volumes of The Missing Manual series of computer how-to books, guest technology reporter for CBS News, former technology reporter for the New York Times, talks with Martin Ford, author of the book Rise of the Robots.

The relevant quote is at 3:18 on this video from CBS news:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/automation-nation-2/

"Every 30 seconds there's a news story published on the web or maybe in a newspaper that is machine generated."

And at the end of a story today about sales performance at Walmart, there was this:

"Elements of this story were generated by Automated Insights (http://automatedinsights.com/ap) using data from Zacks Investment Research."