KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: The Fifth Wave of Writing  (Read 3492 times)  

Offline Nic

• View Profile
Re: The Fifth Wave of Writing
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »
What I'm suggesting is that the causality goes the other way from what people commonly think: unless we come up with enough new ways to define human value and divide whatever goods we produce in a fairly broad manner technological progress will be delayed and limited relative to its potential. Fortunately, I see from my coworking space things definitely are changing. The only question is whether it will be fast enough to prevent the kind of ugly dystopia so many writers seem to be envisioning.

I don't see that. The current technological and financial process already has outdistanced a large segment of the population, worldwide. This isn't going to change peacefully. This process will spread and speed up, as the financial background to fuel it already has been and is being funelled into it as we speak. 

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »
Imagine you are staring at the screen/paper and want to describe a dark and stormy night without having to use the clich. What better tool than an AI that has a comprehensive library of past novels to reference? You could give it key words like dark, stormy, night, and ask it to give you the most used, least used, or maybe the advanced edition could give you its attempt at creating something new that isn't in its list. Maybe it's smart enough to realize that dark is a subset of stormy+night and prunes that out. Think of being able to describe deserts, forests, Victorian dining rooms... and cross referencing them with other descriptions that have been given. You could ensure your work is unique. I guess it could also be used for stealing  :o so perhaps not such a good idea after all, but it was something I thought might be more profitable for an AI to do than try to generate books.

I imagine writing a book that nobody could tell was by an AI would be a programmer's dream, but humans pick up on patterns so easily even when they don't realize they are dong it. This is why pattern recognition is so hard for an AI and takes only a mere glance for a human. AI's are super good at some things and super bad at others. Creating a book that is genuinely unique and not a compilation of thousands of existing books strikes me as a super hard problem to solve, especially if it involves human interaction. I'm not worried.

Online ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

That is why some speculate that things just cannot go on like this and there will be a mass wipe-out of some sort to reset the planet to function in a more natural way, with more natural abilities like telepathy developed in our DNA instead of the AI taking over.

Telepathy is less than a decade away. Near-telepathy is already here. I can wake up my phone with my voice, order it to text whoever, dictate the message I want to send, and get a reply back from the other person within moments.  Next step seems relatively trivial-- Instead of a phone, we'll have an implant in our head and we'll be able to call up anyone anywhere (at least anyone anywhere who hasn't turned off their notifications) just by thinking about it. So telepathy is definitely going to happen, absent some absolutely catastrophic event like total annihilation of the human race. It need not rely on any advances in DNA tech at all, although I wouldn't rule anything out. There's seldom only one way to do something useful.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Online Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • Bookcoverscre8tive
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »
Telepathy is less than a decade away. Near-telepathy is already here. I can wake up my phone with my voice, order it to text whoever, dictate the message I want to send, and get a reply back from the other person within moments.  Next step seems relatively trivial-- Instead of a phone, we'll have an implant in our head and we'll be able to call up anyone anywhere (at least anyone anywhere who hasn't turned off their notifications) just by thinking about it. So telepathy is definitely going to happen, absent some absolutely catastrophic event like total annihilation of the human race. It need not rely on any advances in DNA tech at all, although I wouldn't rule anything out. There's seldom only one way to do something useful.

What you are describing is the takeover by the AI though - humans merging with technology.  One conspiracy camp that feels this is not natural is hoping for the wipe-out to get rid of the AI, whereafter natural abilities will be enhanced without any type of technology needed.  The wipeout may not be a total ice-age type event, just a solar flare that wipes all electronics...  Not saying I believe either side - I just find it an interesting topic.

Online Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
There are those that believe the secret government and other forces behind the screens already have amounts of vastly advanced technology - but they are not releasing it to the masses
For that to be true, of course, many people would need to be involved and would have to keep the secret. Like all such government conspiratorial secrets. For the moon landings to have been faked, for example, I and many of my colleagues would have to have been in on it. During the leakiest of times in government...well, you know.

Online ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »
What you are describing is the takeover by the AI though - humans merging with technology.  One conspiracy camp that feels this is not natural is hoping for the wipe-out to get rid of the AI, whereafter natural abilities will be enhanced without any type of technology needed.  The wipeout may not be a total ice-age type event, just a solar flare that wipes all electronics...  Not saying I believe either side - I just find it an interesting topic.

I love a good conspiracy as much as the next buff, but people who are praying for the widespread destruction of the human race are not good people. They are primarily worth talking to in order to craft better villains in a story we all hope never comes true.

Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »
Considering all the problems with software that merely translates from one language to another, I have my doubts that AI will be able to write a coherent original story any time soon.

Doubt all you want, but translating idioms from one language to another is far more difficult than writing text in a language the rules of which have already been learned.

Offline WHDean

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
Doubt all you want, but translating idioms from one language to another is far more difficult than writing text in a language the rules of which have already been learned.

Using idioms correctly and translating them correctly are different problems for humans, but the same problem for computers: Specifying a rule for their use is difficult. Computers haven't even cracked grammar yet.

I think AI will be able to generate stories, but they won't be any good. Like I said earlier, AI will be a collaborator for writers in the same way it helps chess players, most likely by generating possibilities.

Offline Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »
Telepathy is less than a decade away. Near-telepathy is already here.

The scientists involved in the overseas brain-to-brain communication experiment actually said not to mistake what they did for telepathy.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2017, 01:21:18 AM »

I think we all know how this humans vs. machines thing will play out:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41kzMU7vbbY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41kzMU7vbbY</a>

>:(   :(   :'(
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline toddhicks209

• St. Louis
    • View Profile
    • Where to find my books
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2017, 03:20:25 AM »
This isn't something I'll worry about. I'll keep writing and doing my thing, regardless.

Todd Hicks

Offline LovetoWrite

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:12 AM »
I could see this happening. My guess is that when it does happen, there will be a nostalgia factor that comes into play, and books written by humans will be treasured by the same types of people who treasure records, enjoy classic cars, and appreciate real beauty and age in humans.

Offline Perry Constantine

• Japan
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:46 AM »
Until it happens, I'm not going to worry about it.

And when it does, I'm turning traitor on the rest of you meatsacks.

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
Amazon: We see you just bought a wallet, and we thought you might be interested in... ANOTHER WALLET!

Me: AI is not replacing humans anytime soon.

Offline Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
I'm almost 50. If I were really worried about this, I would discourage my daughter or young relatives from planning a career in writing (and none of them are anyway). As for myself, if I believed AI could eventually take over fiction writing to the point organic units could no longer make a living from it, which I don't believe for a hot second, it wouldn't be a personal worry for me because I'll be long dead by that time. And hopefully buried upside down in my flying car *cough* so the robots can kiss my behind.

People who make a living in the arts have plenty of legitimate things to worry about. Computers becoming so creative as to force humans out isn't one of them. But, if you believe it is, make hay while the sun shines and save your pennies so you can survive when Skynet Publishing ruins it for everybody.

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
I'm with you on that. When AIs owned by publishing companies start producing readable books, the publishing companies will need to invent AIs to create covers and AI's to do the marketing. In the end, they'll outsource all of it, creating an AI acquisitions editor.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
Until it happens, I'm not going to worry about it.

And when it does, I'm turning traitor on the rest of you meatsacks.

PRETEND LIKE BUTTON CLICKING

Online Dpock

• Inland Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »
We tend to worry about the wrong things.

Timing is everything.

I believe, but do not know for sure, that AI already aggregates and synopsizes much of the news content we see on various big sites across the internet (Google News certainly). There are already writer's tools that generate story outlines with minimal input. It's not a stretch to conclude AI will at some point write entire stories, and with algorithms rather than humans providing the input.

There's already a big market for drone-like fiction with repetitive story lines or plots (I'm not pointing any fingers), and I'm sure AI engineers are well aware of the potential return for computer generated content. So, yeah, it's coming. I doubt they'll go after the War & Peace audiences, but they'll probably suck dry a few of the more formulaic genres. That's still probably way off, but they used to say that about global warming too.

Speaking of which, if I was thirty instead of sixty, I'd be more concerned about global warming. I would also not be dabbling in writing for a living unless I knew I would be the exception to the rule that most writers ultimately fail. At sixty it's not a big concern.

Hence, timing really is everything.

Online Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
There's already a big market for drone-like fiction with repetitive story lines or plots ...
That's close to what Chris Fox encourages in "Write to Market." Know your genre and its tropes so well that you can better match readers' expectations.
Speaking of which, if I was thirty instead of sixty, I'd be more concerned about global warming. I would also not be dabbling in writing for a living unless I knew I would be the exception to the rule that most writers ultimately fail. At sixty it's not a big concern.
Others have said something similar. "Won't happen in my lifetime." So they don't need to resist. But. What if there's reincarnation? :D

Offline skylarker1

• Minneapolis, MN, USA
    • View Profile
    • Dreamspell
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
I find it hard to believe an artificial intelligence that has never experienced living as a human being in the human world could create and portray convincing human characters that I could relate to as a reader.

I read largely because I care about the characters and their experiences. I care about characters who care deeply about what's important in their world, be it loved ones or simple survival. I care about characters who are vulnerable in some ways and strong in others, who have tried and failed and tried again, who have shared jokes, laughed, cried, hated, scorned, feared, yearned, loved - the characters who matter have something in common with me and other people I know. Writing convincingly about these experiences requires at least a touch of understanding, wisdom and compassion - and I doubt anyone knows how to program those qualities into a logical system.

Naomi Stone: Magic you can believe in
Naomi Stone | website

Online Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
I find it hard to believe an artificial intelligence that has never experienced living as a human being in the human world could create and portray convincing human characters that I could relate to as a reader.
Experience in creativity is a product of memory and the ability to process it. Computers don't know squat about payroll until you load the application and database. The hardware technology for AI exists now. All we need are the code and data. Whether we get them will depend on whether any authoritative entity sees fit to expend what it takes. Which usually means there must be a foreseeable, predictable profit. If it happens, it will likely be a side effect of something more important, some technology we need and are willing to pay for.

Online P.J. Post

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:46 PM »
In terms of true cognitive reasoning, for the immediate future, as in a couple of lifetimes, AI is horsehockey. It's all clever coding designed for an expected and predicted result, no different than mechanical constructs. The only way AI can write books is if they are given enough scripts and if/then databases to approximate human prose and all that entails. But the program would have to be so extensive, with so many pre-programmed connecting sentences (the way computer generated news stories work now) that the coder might as well save the time and write the book themselves. Computers don't learn like humans do, not yet, anyway, they analyze data and follow predetermined algorithms. They can only write the books they are programmed to write. So what's the point? The computer wouldn't be the author, the coder would be. The computer would just be the tool - the interface.

Computers are not sentient. But when they become so, and if our new Over Lords will allow it - Bender - I'd love to read their books.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:12:43 PM by P.J. Post »

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »
Here's a story written by a computer.  I think we're in trouble.

Cold San Diego
A Short Story
by Jane Doe

Ocean Grey had always loved cold San Diego with its breezy, brief beaches. It was a place where she felt unstable.

She was a callous, mean, cocoa drinker with sloppy spots and sticky hands. Her friends saw her as a fluffy, faint friend. Once, she had even revived a dying, chicken. That's the sort of woman he was.

Ocean walked over to the window and reflected on her pretty surroundings. The drizzle rained like chatting cats.

Then she saw something in the distance, or rather someone. It was the figure of Steven Meadows. Steven was a daring writer with pretty spots and squat hands.

Ocean gulped. She was not prepared for Steven.

As Ocean stepped outside and Steven came closer, she could see the solid glint in his eye.

Steven gazed with the affection of 8440 brave keen kittens. He said, in hushed tones, "I love you and I want a kiss."

Ocean looked back, even more concerned and still fingering the solid kettle. "Steven, I am your mother," she replied.

They looked at each other with relaxed feelings, like two heavy, helpful hamsters jogging at a very patient birthday party, which had flute music playing in the background and two loving uncles chatting to the beat.

Suddenly, Steven lunged forward and tried to punch Ocean in the face. Quickly, Ocean grabbed the solid kettle and brought it down on Steven's skull.

Steven's pretty spots trembled and his squat hands wobbled. He looked calm, his emotions raw like a tight, troubled torch.

Then he let out an agonising groan and collapsed onto the ground. Moments later Steven Meadows was dead.

Ocean Grey went back inside and made herself a nice mug of cocoa.
THE END

;)    ;D
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Online ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »
The scientists involved in the overseas brain-to-brain communication experiment actually said not to mistake what they did for telepathy.

What did the guys who made the Samsung Galaxy 8 say? This is quibbling. If you can talk to another brain instantly over a long distance, it's telepathy or near enough for government work.

Online ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »
Amazon: We see you just bought a wallet, and we thought you might be interested in... ANOTHER WALLET!

Me: AI is not replacing humans anytime soon.

There's actually a reason for that. And it isn't that Amazon doesn't know how to sell things. People love to gripe about that, but how many times have I bought the thing, decided the thing wasn't good enough, and then bought the same thing only better? How many times have I bought the thing, loved it, and decided to buy another as a gift?