Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Google Search and Author Website  (Read 885 times)  

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
Google Search and Author Website
« on: August 07, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
My author website used to show up on the first page of Google search results when someone searched my name, but today I found out it's gone. I managed to find the link to one of my book pages after going through five or six pages of results. I have no idea how or why that happened. I have the link to my website in my books, author pages, etc., but if people Google my name, I'd like them to be able to find me easily. Is there anything I can do about this?

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Google Search and Author Website
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
Type the following into Google Search:

site:yoursite.com  (replace yoursite with your own domain!) 

Do you get all of the pages in your site, most importantly your home page? If not, what, if any, changes have you made to your site recently?  What platform?  Wordpress, Wix...?

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
I'm getting the home page, but not all of the pages, only some of them. It's a Weebly website. I recently added a few hidden pages so I could use them for promos. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Okay. If you're homepage is there, you're good. And it's not unusual for pages to be missing, but there could be a deeper reason. Do you have a lot of duplicate content on your site? You'll get dinged for that, and lose ranking.

Is the site fairly new? Google often gives some love to new sites, then after awhile they just nosedive in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages), to where Google thinks they should be in terms of SEO and algorithms. 

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
Depends on what is considered to be duplicate content. My book blurbs repeat, I guess, since I put them on the books' pages, the news page, and on my hidden promo pages.

It's not new. I've had it for two years.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »
I just did a search on your name, and browsed the first 5 pages of the SERPs. It is completely normal that all those sites are ahead of yours. It's all about SEO and those sites will have a lot of links pointing to them, giving them power over yours. I found your news page on page 5. It must have some links pointing to it, since it is the page Google has decided is the most important on your site.

The other thing is Google personalized search. Google knows that you search for your site, and will put it at the top of the SERPs for you. Just you. Because you have indicated to them that it's important to you.

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »
The other thing is Google personalized search. Google knows that you search for your site, and will put it at the top of the SERPs for you. Just you. Because you have indicated to them that it's important to you.

Google will do that, but if you use Chrome for your search, you can use an Incognito browser window to avoid the personalized search. Each browser has their own version of a "private browser" window, Chrome's just the one I know offhand. You can use this to check you name without bias for your previous searches.

Guy Riessen | website

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
I just did a search on your name, and browsed the first 5 pages of the SERPs. It is completely normal that all those sites are ahead of yours. It's all about SEO and those sites will have a lot of links pointing to them, giving them power over yours. I found your news page on page 5. It must have some links pointing to it, since it is the page Google has decided is the most important on your site.

My website always used to be on the first page, so I wouldn't call that normal. I don't use Google's personalized search, and there's nothing to indicate that my site is important to me. How would they know? I have no reason to click on it. I also usually check these things on another computer in incognito mode. I know something changed. I wish I could figure out what. I'm not thrilled that people are more likely to find a pirate copy of my book than my website.

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
First, do Incognito search. Then if it's not on, it could be some issue... wasn't Weebly some time ago punished by Google (all sites got slapped by Google).

Also, consider adding Google Webmaster Tools account and seeing what shows up there. If there are warnings, you will get a warning message there. It can show if site was penalised.

Otherwise, could be temp glitch if you had updates. Hidden pages tho, shouldn't hurt. It's normal. Best if you make them a 'No-index' page (google that for Weebly, don't know how it works there).

Offline busywoman

• Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »
I think one of the big issues is that you hardly have any text on your home page.  Luckily, that's easy to fix.

Edit your home page at add at least 200 to 300 words of text.  That's a decent word count for search engines.  Right now you have fewer than 25 words.  Google may see that as "thin content" and downgrade the page as a junk page. I'm not saying it is junk - just that a machine can't tell the difference between an author's legitimate website and spam sites that generate thousands of pages with not much on them.

In your text use your full name at least 3 times. Right now your full name doesn't appear at all in the on-page text (your name is actually images and Google doesn't "read" images the same way as it reads and indexes text words).

You could state "The official website of Talia Ellison, author of [blankety blank]" as a header.  Then write more about yourself in third person such as "Talia Ellison writes [about/in the blank genre]." Maybe include a review blurb/snippet from a reviewer, especially if you can find one that uses your full name such as "Talia Ellison hits a home run with her latest [blank]."   And where you talk about subscribing to your newsletter, you could say something like "Stay up to date with the news about Talia Ellison - subscribe to Talia's newsletter."  Content like that is all you need....

That's a good start.  But go further and set up some social media accounts, and from them link back to your home page. Just like you did with Goodreads. Consider Google+, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn -- sites like that.

What could REALLY help is if you could get a few bloggers to do reviews or interview you. Most likely they will link to your website as part of the interview or review, and that will give your home page extra weight.

Most of your other pages are really light on content, also. You might try beefing them up. 

It's no surprise that your News (blog) page shows up in Google best, because I see it has the most content on it.  But even there, I think you could improve. Write more on each individual blog post, by including a couple of original paragraphs in addition to book descriptions for each post. And only display news headlines and the first 25 words of the post on your news/blog page (so the main news page doesn't duplicate everything on your individual blog posts).  You want page content to be different and original from page to page, as much as possible.  Some partial duplication is fine. Some partial quoting of book description text is fine also. You just don't want complete duplication and complete re-used text.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:05:53 PM by busywoman »

Offline mojomikey

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »
I think one of the big issues is that you hardly have any text on your home page.  Luckily, that's easy to fix.

Edit your home page at add at least 200 to 300 words of text.  That's a decent word count for search engines.  Right now you have fewer than 25 words.  Google may see that as "thin content" and downgrade the page as a junk page. I'm not saying it is junk - just that a machine can't tell the difference between an author's legitimate website and spam sites that generate thousands of pages with not much on them.

In your text use your full name at least 3 times. Right now your full name doesn't appear at all in the on-page text (your name is actually images and Google doesn't "read" images the same way as it reads and indexes text words).

You could state "The official website of Talia Ellison, author of [blankety blank]" as a header.  Then write more about yourself in third person such as "Talia Ellison writes [about/in the blank genre]." Maybe include a review blurb/snippet from a reviewer, especially if you can find one that uses your full name such as "Talia Ellison hits a home run with her latest [blank]."   And where you talk about subscribing to your newsletter, you could say something like "Stay up to date with the news about Talia Ellison - subscribe to Talia's newsletter."  Content like that is all you need....

That's a good start.  But go further and set up some social media accounts, and from them link back to your home page. Just like you did with Goodreads. Consider Google+, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn -- sites like that.

What could REALLY help is if you could get a few bloggers to do reviews or interview you. Most likely they will link to your website as part of the interview or review, and that will give your home page extra weight.

Most of your other pages are really light on content, also. You might try beefing them up. 

It's no surprise that your News (blog) page shows up in Google best, because I see it has the most content on it.  But even there, I think you could improve. Write more on each individual blog post, by including a couple of original paragraphs in addition to book descriptions for each post. And only display news headlines and the first 25 words of the post on your news/blog page (so the main news page doesn't duplicate everything on your individual blog posts).  You want page content to be different and original from page to page, as much as possible.  Some partial duplication is fine. Some partial quoting of book description text is fine also. You just don't want complete duplication and complete re-used text.

Great advice. All of it.

Only thing I'd add (and I don't know much about Weebly) - is there a SEO option for them like Wordpress has Yoast or All in One SEO? Those plugins for WP make it uber easy to do simple SEO for your site.

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! I realized I didn't fill in any of the SEO settings and keywords, so I'm going to do that and see if it helps.

Offline M R Mortimer

• Australia
  • SF writer
    • View Profile
    • Suspended Earth - Official site of M R Mortimer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 07:56:41 PM »
I hope that works for you. I did some seo tweaking a couple of years ago on my site, since M R Mortimer is Mr Mortimer and that name appears in a gazillion things from the sims to dickens and back again. Before doing that, I was on about page 34 of the google search. I just did an incognito to check, and I came up as the first photo, and my suspendedearth.com is on the first page, along with a few amazon book pages. So it does work, sometimes.

Sadly for my fantasy series, the website is thecinderchronicles.com, and google regularly get confused and puts me on about page 17 after troves of websites about Merissa Myers and her "the lunar chronicles" series, because one of those is titled "cinder". It does depend if you use quotation marks though - using them hurls you to the first page of search results faster than a mexican mouse in a culturally insensitive cartoon.
|

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
M R Mortimer | Author Web Site Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
good advice here:

- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 11:05:32 AM »
Have you registered your domain name? I'm just seeing taliaellison.weebly.com. Having your own domain name can help with your SEO. Even if you're using a free Weebly you can still register your domain name (taliaellison.com, if it's available,  and have it redirect to your Weebly site).

As has been mentioned, backlinks are great, especially if you have people link back to you with your name... something like "Author Tallia Ellison" as the text for the link vs. "click here"

Offline FAUSGA

• View Profile
    • Author Website Design & Book Cover Design
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:28 AM »
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but there are several things you can do:

- Install an SEO plugin to add the relevant keywords in your home page and other pages, like your author name and genre.
- Make sure you submit your website in google webmaster tools and install the google analytics code.
- Make sure you have an XML sitemap generated. This can be done via a plugin installation.

Offline Not Lu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »
If your rankings in google tank out of the blue the first thing you need to ask is: What did I change recently?

You mentioned that you put up some marketing pages (that might be duplicate content too?). With wordpress and most seo plugins you can noindex pages you don't want the search engines to see. That way you can make sure they don't count marketing pages that you've copied for tracking purposes as duplicate content. I'd look to see if weebly has a similar feature. Noindex the marketing pages and your ranks might come back.

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
Thanks, everyone. I already did most of that, but I suppose Google sees the blurbs that are both on the books' pages and my blog as duplicate content, since the blog posts are the only thing that's new. I'm considering ditching my blog and getting a new one on a different site. I don't know if that would help, but I don't have many posts, so transferring them shouldn't be hard.

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 01:55:33 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I already did most of that, but I suppose Google sees the blurbs that are both on the books' pages and my blog as duplicate content, since the blog posts are the only thing that's new. I'm considering ditching my blog and getting a new one on a different site. I don't know if that would help, but I don't have many posts, so transferring them shouldn't be hard.

It shouldn't be the case, but if it is, add some original content to those book pages. Just the blurbs are boring and honestly, lazy. Your website is your World! Build it! Add stuff that is interesting, maybe behind-the-scenes stuff of what inspired to write each book. How some ideas came to you etc. That is interesting, original. That is creating. If you just look at website as business card that doesn't change, you wont' maximise it's use.