Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Relaunch a la Chris Fox - covers  (Read 2296 times)  

Online TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Re: Relaunch a la Chris Fox - covers
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
You could open a whole new demographic:

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »
I like the third one. The light on his face is from the wrong angle, though. But I could work with it. Do you have a link to where you found that picture? Thanks.

Okay, here are some examples to give you ideas (thanks for an excuse to play around with Photoshop):

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »

Somebody has too much time on his hands. :D

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
I found it, Al. Don't need a link. Thanks.

Online TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »
I found it, Al. Don't need a link. Thanks.

Okay. I found all of them by Googling "silhouette man holding gun." and "silhouette man with gun."

Offline Rachel E. Rice

• View Profile
    • Rachel E. Rice Writes All
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »

I too just read the latest book by Chris Fox. I had so many books that I had neglected, and I was tired of writing, so I decided to change the covers. I started with some of my books which are wide and I looked at the cost and that's nothing to laugh at, but looking at this thread, some of my books may look like that picture above.
I didn't know I needed a laugh that much but I did. I can't stop laughing and thinking about my covers but nevertheless, I believe in ROI, and so far I've made my money back many times over just from making my covers for one particular pen name. I need a few more years and a few more fans before I will consider spending loads of money on my back list. 

Check for more books by Rachel E. Rice and R.E. Rice
Rachel E. Rice | blog | website

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
I would be very curious if the poster is willing to come back and report his results if he implements these changes. To my eye, and I read a lot of thrillers, the original cover still looks the most professional and the most like something I would pull off a shelf when I didn't already know the author's name.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline willow163

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »
I would be very curious if the poster is willing to come back and report his results if he implements these changes. To my eye, and I read a lot of thrillers, the original cover still looks the most professional and the most like something I would pull off a shelf when I didn't already know the author's name.

I completely agree with this. I think the original cover looks a thousand times more professional than the second. The dark colors scream dark thriller to me. The bright colors, not so much.

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »
... the original cover still looks the most professional and the most like something I would pull off a shelf when I didn't already know the author's name.

I think the original cover looks a thousand times more professional than the second. The dark colors scream dark thriller to me. The bright colors, not so much.
Were you looking at the original post or the ones I posted after comments here?

Thank you for these opinions. That's kind of how I feel too. The Chris Fox relaunch and write to market strategies stress the replacement of the cover based on the best sellers in the genre. And those covers are colorful. And mine have been out there a while without the books catching on. The #1 book, which I've used fpr this example, stays in the top 100, and is well-reviewed but only because it's permafree I think. Here's a link to it.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:27:19 PM by Al Stevens »

Online TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 12:57:13 PM »
Covers are such a mystery. We all comment on them and talk about what's good and what isn't, but we simply do not know what works and what doesn't.

So, I think it's worth experimenting.

I've latched onto AMS ads as a way of answering the question of which cover sells better. I'm running an ad for Contact Us now, and in a few days, I'll switch to a new cover and rerun the same ad.

Good luck, Al!

Online juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 02:01:32 PM »
Covers are such a mystery. We all comment on them and talk about what's good and what isn't, but we simply do not know what works and what doesn't.

So, I think it's worth experimenting.

I've latched onto AMS ads as a way of answering the question of which cover sells better. I'm running an ad for Contact Us now, and in a few days, I'll switch to a new cover and rerun the same ad.

Good luck, Al!

It's so true that nobody REALLY knows. For whatever it's worth, I love the last one with the colors in which you said the light is from the wrong angle. Fix the light and it'll be good. I read thrillers/suspense primarily and the colorful cover is way more eye-catching. The original one is very good, just a bit... dull.

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
Were you looking at the original post or the ones I posted after comments here?

I looked at the first cover, and I looked at all the others, and I still personally think the original cover looks more professional.  That's why I'm curious. I feel like you're changing something that makes no difference in your genre, but I've been wrong before.

I'm looking at the list of top 20 Amazon bestsellers, of which I have read several, and they are not necessarily colorful, they are all over the map in terms of color. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Mystery-Thriller-Suspense/zgbs/digital-text/157305011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_2_154606011

Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Online juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »
I looked at the first cover, and I looked at all the others, and I still personally think the original cover looks more professional.  That's why I'm curious. I feel like you're changing something that makes no difference in your genre, but I've been wrong before.

I'm looking at the list of top 20 Amazon bestsellers, of which I have read several, and they are not necessarily colorful, they are all over the map in terms of color. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Mystery-Thriller-Suspense/zgbs/digital-text/157305011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_2_154606011
They're either more colorful or more defined or both than his current covers.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • Bookcoverscre8tive
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 09:39:31 PM »

Also please always remember when looking at bestsellers - some of those authors sell their books purely by name alone.  They don't need very attractive covers.  I know I have seen some of Danielle Steel's books with nothing but a name!  So bestsellers cannot be used as a yardstick alone.  You need to look at what other self-publishing authors who are climbing the ranks are doing doing too.

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »
Also please always remember when looking at bestsellers - some of those authors sell their books purely by name alone.  They don't need very attractive covers.  I know I have seen some of Danielle Steel's books with nothing but a name!  So bestsellers cannot be used as a yardstick alone.  You need to look at what other self-publishing authors who are climbing the ranks are doing doing too.
That's part of Chris Fox's strategy. Look at the covers, blurbs, etc. on the best sellers from relatively unknown indies for exactly that reason. James Patterson could sell a hoagie wrapper.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 10:43:37 AM »

Okay, I know you were going for "scarier," but this is really OTT. You trying to give me flashbacks?? Unkind, TromboneAl, unkind.  ;)

Al Stevens, I do like the combination of the old title/author typography with the new image and new series title.