Author Topic: Instafreebie Sample Question!  (Read 502 times)  

Offline MYBooks

• View Profile
Instafreebie Sample Question!
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:44 PM »
Hey all!

New kid here, so please be patient, haha. :)  I really appreciate all the help and insight I've gotten just by reading through the threads here, so I finally decided to make an account and post!

I have a couple of books going live, and I really would like to do an Instafreebie for them.  I'm planning to have them on Kindle Select, though.

Is it okay if I just put the first three chapters of each into Instafreebie and do a sample there or is that still a no go with Amazon?

Thanks all!  Appreciate it!

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Instafreebie Sample Question!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:38:04 PM »
I believe as long as it is less than 10% (or less than/equal too the sample Amazon provides for those who want it) it's okay. That's been the common consensus when others have posted similar questions.
I'm new to Instafreebie myself, but I will tell you that the novelettes I've written that compliment my novels do much better than the novel previews I have posted. Something to think about down the line.
Hopefully, other people will either confirm or deny my answer!
Best of luck!!

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:47:04 PM »
I too have seen 10% as the limit of what you can show outside of Kindle Select.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »
I agree with the 10% and I agree with ID.  Novellas and short stories do better than sneak peeks.  A bonus short story from the world of your book would, for example, be a great tie-in for your new releases.

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »
Hey all!

New kid here, so please be patient, haha. :)  I really appreciate all the help and insight I've gotten just by reading through the threads here, so I finally decided to make an account and post!

I have a couple of books going live, and I really would like to do an Instafreebie for them.  I'm planning to have them on Kindle Select, though.

Is it okay if I just put the first three chapters of each into Instafreebie and do a sample there or is that still a no go with Amazon?

Thanks all!  Appreciate it!
The rule is you cannot put more anywhere else than can be read for free in the look inside on Amazon. So, the first chapter is usually a fair idea. However, if you haven't yet published your books, why not do the Instafreebie for, say, a month then take them down and put them in select? What do you hope to gain from an Instafreebie? Is it mailing list subscribers? Or simply new readers?

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Comic Covers

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:52:27 AM »
I agree with the 10% and I agree with ID.  Novellas and short stories do better than sneak peeks.  A bonus short story from the world of your book would, for example, be a great tie-in for your new releases.

I've been thinking about Instafreebie, as well.  I have only the one book in Scout right now, and just cranked out a short story for my web developer to use as a carrot for subscribers.  Initially I thought I might use the short for Insta, but it's unrelated to my book.  I couldn't figure out a way to do a short tied to my book without having spoilers. 

Would an unrelated short (6120 words) be better than using a sneak peek from my novel?

J.D.Matheny | Facebook |Website

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
You can do what I'm doing right now: Take the book out of Kindle Select for a month or so, use it as a magnet on InstaFreebie, then take it out of IF and put it back into Kindle Select. I'm doing that with Yesterday's Thief for August.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
You can do what I'm doing right now: Take the book out of Kindle Select for a month or so, use it as a magnet on InstaFreebie, then take it out of IF and put it back into Kindle Select. I'm doing that with Yesterday's Thief for August.

Being in Kindle Scout only allows me to post up to 10% of the book, I believe.  So I'm stuck with either the sneak peek or the standalone short story.  Just not sure which is better.

Offline N R Hairston

• VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »
JDMatheny, why not put up the short story, and in your front or back matter, you can put up a link to your Amazon author page, or to your book's Amazon page.

That way you can gain new subscribers and introduce them to your new book as well. You know, do an 'Also By' type of thing.

N. R. Hairston  | Blog | Twitter

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
JDMatheny, why not put up the short story, and in your front or back matter, you can put up a link to your Amazon author page, or to your book's Amazon page.

That way you can gain new subscribers and introduce them to your new book as well. You know, do an 'Also By' type of thing.

Those are great suggestions, but my debut novel just started it's Kindle Scout campaign so it will be 40+ days before I can do any of that.  I'm going with the assumption that I won't be selected and so it would be nice to have something of an email list prior to launching.  That's what got me to thinking of trying an instafreebie.

I did message them on FB today and they said that a standalone short is a fine idea if the goal is subscribers.  I'm sure their advice might be bias, but they referred to the short and not a sneak peak, so that tells me what I needed to know I guess!

Offline N R Hairston

• VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 06:16:33 PM »
To be honest, both my short and sneak peek do really well. I'd still put it up, that way you can at least build your list. When your novel drops, you can let them know about it in one of your newsletters.

N. R. Hairston  | Blog | Twitter

Offline MYBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:35 AM »
Okay, I'm about to put up a short!  Any thoughts on the best way for a beginner to get subscribers ASAP? It seems like most instafreebie groups want people with a minimum.  I currently have like eight. 

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:42:51 AM »
Okay, I'm about to put up a short!  Any thoughts on the best way for a beginner to get subscribers ASAP? It seems like most instafreebie groups want people with a minimum.  I currently have like eight. 
Put your short into Instafreebie, sign up for the $20 a month plan, make your short public but make signing to mailing list compulsory.

Like eight what? You don't need a group, just put it on IF.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »
Put your short into Instafreebie, sign up for the $20 a month plan, make your short public but make signing to mailing list compulsory.

Like eight what? You don't need a group, just put it on IF.

Perfect timing, I was checking out IF yesterday and wondering what plan most were doing. 

I never considered that cross promos would want a minimum number of subscribers to join, but that would make sense.

Offline MYBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 08:17:20 AM »
It's a novelette - thinks 9k, contemporary romance.  :) 

I'll do that.  Thanks!

Since I'm not planning on putting it in Kindle select and will eventually make it permafree on Amazon, could I do that at the same time or is that a no-no?

(Also I currently have eight subscribers from an ill-advised first attempt)

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
It's a novelette - thinks 9k, contemporary romance.  :) 

I'll do that.  Thanks!

Since I'm not planning on putting it in Kindle select and will eventually make it permafree on Amazon, could I do that at the same time or is that a no-no?

(Also I currently have eight subscribers from an ill-advised first attempt)
Can't have been that ill advised or you wouldn't have any! As long as your story isn't in select, you can do what you like with it. Newcomers do tend to get confused between kdp and kdp select. Kdp is the Amazon publishing arm, where all indies who publish to amazon are. They can go wide, post their story on their website or blog, whatever. But, once you enroll in kdp select, then you agree to be exclusive for digital. So e-books, blogs, whatever; if it's digital, you can't do it. BUT you can still put it out in print if you are in select. And yes, if it's not in select, you can put it on Instafreebie.

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »

I put up two novelettes in early July. I've joined every promo I thought I could do and not overwhelm my newsletter people. I started out with one subscriber. So far, I've been able to find plenty of promos that didn't ask for a minimum. It takes some digging and some patience to find them, but they are out there. There are Facebook groups you can join to find promos, as well as the Instafreebie forum and on here. I've done about five promos with two more scheduled and my list is about 700 as of today. I don't think those are stellar numbers, but it's a lot better than the "one" I had when I started. Incidentally, my novelettes are PNR and historical romance. Just stick with it for a while, keep hunting for those promos, and you'll start to see it coming together. There are some paid promo groups, too, that will take anyone, and they are not that expensive. I haven't done those yet but I scheduled a couple when they were on sale. We'll see how they do. Best of luck!

Offline MYBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
Interesting!  Can you have your book up on instafreebie and then join a promo when available?

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
Interesting!  Can you have your book up on instafreebie and then join a promo when available?
Yes--my two novelettes are sitting up there and whenever I see a promo that I like, I just fill out the form and put the link to one of my Instafreebie novelette. That's really the best way to get new subscribers. Otherwise, it's almost impossible for people to find your Instafreebie story. When I have no promos going on, I might get a couple of downloads/sign ups per day. When I'm in a promo, on average it's more like ten per day, but with the two I'm in now, it's closer to 70 per day. Everyone is required to send the promo announcement to their newsletter, which keeps traffic coming in, and Instafreebie will often include the promos in their own email.

Offline MYBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 06:01:45 PM »
You all are amazingly helpful.  Thank you very much.