Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Romance: Baby Tropes  (Read 1719 times)  

Offline Rosie A.

• Washington, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
Romance: Baby Tropes
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:58:43 PM »
Hello! As in: secret babies, accidental pregnancy, babies on doorsteps, etc. I used to smh at these but have recently begun thinking differently about them. I'm curious what other romance writers think of these?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:05:13 AM by Rosie A. »

Historical Romance: 20th Century, Western Brides
Rose Historicals

Offline emmapearce

• View Profile
Re: Romance: Baby Tropes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 05:43:15 AM »
Single dads are all the rage right now! I'm seeing a bunch of them throughout Top 100s.
Also the latest Lauren Blakely is about pregnancy - FMC asks her sexy co-worker to knock her up, no strings attached, and they surely have an HEA, family style, by the end. Those tropes are pretty popular now.

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »
I have a single dad romance. It's my bestselling title. I don't mind the baby trope when it's done well, though I don't typically read them. (Mostly because second chance romances are Liz bait, and I tend to forget everything else.)

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline Huldra

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »
Accidental pregnancy is my jam.

You know it's fantasy when one of the most blood-curdling things IRL just gives you the warm-fuzzies while writing/reading about it.

Offline AubreyGross

• Austin, TX
    • View Profile
    • Aubrey Gross
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
When done right I'm all about baby tropes. Secret babies can really increase the tension and conflict when written well. I also just recently read a book where the heroine had decided to do IVF and raise a baby on her own, but meets the hero right as she's going through the sperm selection process. It was done really, really well.

Romance...Texas style!
Aubrey Gross | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Goodreads

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
I don't like accidental pregnancy books. I can't get past the way those books handle the accidental pregnancy. The heroine never actually considers termination, even if she's liberal woman who has never expressed previous interest in having children. Obviously, she can't have an abortion or the book won't exist, but I find the way it's handled really unrealistic and often very abortion shaming. Lots of "I'd never do that. I'm not one of those people." It's like the baby is an inevitability. No "this isn't the right time, but I've always wanted to be a mother." Just "well, I'm pregnant, that sucks, too bad there's nothing I can do about it." That's not how a 20 year old in a big liberal city would react.

With secret babies, I can't get past the whole keeping the baby a secret thing. IRL, that's a really messed up thing to do.

I tend to read New Adult, so I don't read a lot of single dads. They still seem to be popular, but I don't think I'd write a book with babies. I don't have kids or really know any kids, so I'd get too many things wrong.

All sorts of baby tropes are popular. Accidental pregnancy and secret babies were big this time last year and single dads have been big for awhile now. But I think the trend has crested and they're on their way out.

Offline Rosie A.

• Washington, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
I don't mind the baby trope when it's done well, though I don't typically read them.
Same here. I've just seen these tropes popping up everywhere and have been considering writing one. Kids are tricky in books though (at least for me). I've done a woops! and single mom as part of the plotline but not the actual conflict of the story. Mostly I was just curious what others here thought. :D

@Crystal: it makes sense what you're saying about abortion and agree that it's somewhat unrealistic. But...we do write fantasies, right? And in a fantasy world everything is always perfect.  ::)

Historical Romance: 20th Century, Western Brides
Rose Historicals

Offline horst5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
Frankly, I would not like it, if someone would leave a baby on my doorsteps, and then writes a book about it.

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
@Crystal: it makes sense what you're saying about abortion and agree that it's somewhat unrealistic. But...we do write fantasies, right? And in a fantasy world everything is always perfect.  ::)

Yes and no. I think authors vary in how much their romances are fantasies and in which parts of them are fantasy like. Especially in NA (actual NA, not sexy bad boy erotica placed in NA), a lot of books deal with real, non fantasy issues (self harm, sexual assault, grief, PTSD, etc), so treating an unplanned pregnancy in a fantasy way feels off.

All genre fiction is fantasy like, but that doesn't necessarily mean everything in it just works out.

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
I keep seeing titles with babies mentioned, so I suppose people like that kind of thing. As for me, I don't like it and won't read any of those romances. The heroine already has to deal with the hero, so a baby would be too much. Although, if male pregnancy was possible, I'd be inclined to at least check that book out.

Offline Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
Accidental pregnancy sounds more like horror to me lol.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »
Accidental pregnancy sounds more like horror to me lol.

v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »
Same here. I've just seen these tropes popping up everywhere and have been considering writing one. Kids are tricky in books though (at least for me). I've done a woops! and single mom as part of the plotline but not the actual conflict of the story. Mostly I was just curious what others here thought. :D

As a romance reader, not writer, I want the romance to be something that I feel is happening as I read which means it has to be something that at least kind of could happen. As a reader the 'it's fantasy and everything is perfect' wouldn't work for me. No, everything is not perfect and that wouldn't leave much tension in the novel either. Sure you can stretch it a bit, but it has to be grounded in some degree the real world for me. Sure I might read one novel with a totally unrealistic world attitude because I didn't realize it before I started, but I wouldn't read a second.

Maybe I'm a total outlier. That's certainly possible. Just a thought from someone who doesn't write that genre. ;)

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • L Maree Apps - Contemporary Erotic Romance... not your nana's bedtime stories...
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
Harlequin / Mills & Boon have established a decades-old dynasty based in big part on secret babies, accidental babies, single dads and their nannies etc.  I can't see it being a market that dies off any time soon.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 10:09:29 PM »
Although, if male pregnancy was possible, I'd be inclined to at least check that book out.

That's out there in M/M. Search "mpreg."

Offline K.B. Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 10:26:35 PM »
I don't like accidental pregnancy books. I can't get past the way those books handle the accidental pregnancy. The heroine never actually considers termination, even if she's liberal woman who has never expressed previous interest in having children. Obviously, she can't have an abortion or the book won't exist, but I find the way it's handled really unrealistic and often very abortion shaming. Lots of "I'd never do that. I'm not one of those people." It's like the baby is an inevitability. No "this isn't the right time, but I've always wanted to be a mother." Just "well, I'm pregnant, that sucks, too bad there's nothing I can do about it." That's not how a 20 year old in a big liberal city would react.

Also I rarely read books where the existence of Plan B is acknowledged and that bugs me. It's bad enough when they forget birth control, but then to not even acknowledge the other options they have seems unrealistic and makes me question their intelligence. I read one recently where it was a one night stand and afterward they're both just like "whoops...hope this doesn't result in a pregnancy" and then of course it does.

K.B. Rose | Amazon | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 10:35:15 PM »
As long as people stop putting these books in the "Heist" category I will be happy. :'(
Blood Cauldron (DoH book 3) BETA reading now: 99%

Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1): 4%
H.C. Harrington

Offline crow.bar.beer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 03:36:21 AM »
Frankly, I would not like it, if someone would leave a baby on my doorsteps, and then writes a book about it.

;D

What's your mailing address?

Offline LifesHumor

• Alabama
  • Pen Name Today, My Name Tomorrow.
    • View Profile
    • My short story
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 03:41:12 AM »
I love accidental pregnancy and instant parenthood stories. I don't like secret baby stories that have the father missing out on a lot of years. For example, hey, here is your seven year old son. I'd rather they find out in the first year.
Rolling In Dirt: 35%
Mae Daniels

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 03:51:00 AM »
Also I rarely read books where the existence of Plan B is acknowledged and that bugs me. It's bad enough when they forget birth control, but then to not even acknowledge the other options they have seems unrealistic and makes me question their intelligence. I read one recently where it was a one night stand and afterward they're both just like "whoops...hope this doesn't result in a pregnancy" and then of course it does.
This comes under the TSTL umbrella and I would immediately stop reading. I know there are people that dumb, but I don't care to read about them.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline LifesHumor

• Alabama
  • Pen Name Today, My Name Tomorrow.
    • View Profile
    • My short story
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 04:18:47 AM »
My cousin's girlfriend was 7 months pregnant before she found out. She got pregnant while on birth control, and she did have a few periods. I know someone else who was five months along before she found out. I wouldn't mind reading about that.
Rolling In Dirt: 35%
Mae Daniels

Offline horst5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 07:49:14 AM »

;D

What's your mailing address?

Right

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »
That's out there in M/M. Search "mpreg."

I know, but that's not what I'm interested in. It would have to be F/M.

Offline Shimmergirl69

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »
I've done 'accidental' pregnancy and secret/love child in a couple of my books. Like it or not it does happen IRL. And i'm currently working on a single dad novel. It wasn't my plan, but any writer knows your characters often have the upper hand in how their story is told.

Bringing characters to life one book at a time
Lisa Marbly-Warir | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 09:02:35 AM »
Because someone used the word "periods," my iPad is now showing me...um...pads ads.