Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.
KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: So...about the banned book thing  (Read 14876 times)  

Online Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
Re: So...about the banned book thing
« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »
Too be fair Amazon does a fairly good job of policing erotica. I remember when those Daddy \ daughter books were regularly in the top 100. Every now and then a taboo erotica book sneaks into the top charts. But Amazon is quick to squash them. Amazon is so strict with erotica that's its all but impossible too make any money selling it.Unless you disguise it as romance.

Yup there are some of the old "Daddy" books left up. But people are forgetting how immensely popular they were.  And like it or not
they continue to be popular. Which is why some writers take the risk and publish them. Its also why Amazon watches erotica like a hawk. If they didn't the store would be flooded with taboo erotica in a matter of days. Which was the case before many of the rules we have now were put in place.

This is pretty much a tempest in a teapot. Mostly because the writer community has very short memories. Amazon has removed the book. The writer is free to sell it privately or with other retailers.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:22:42 PM by Gentleman Zombie »

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 12, 2017, 05:48:45 PM »
I heard about this, but I was told that it was a toddler tee. See what happens when we make moral judgments about people based off a game of telephone?

I'm not debating freedom. I'm debating the wisdom of judging entire groups of people by what genre they read or individuals by their feelings on a book neither you nor they have read. (Not saying you're doing that, just explaining my stance).

If that was (or supposed to be) a toddler tee, that makes the 'joke' that much worse.  Or tasteless, or whatever word one chooses.  There isn't a single word that implies "she knows what she's doing, it's not an innocent accident," or I'd use that.

IMHO, of course.
Jena

Offline Dhewco

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »
I think the way the author puts it into her feed is the only reason to hate the shirt. Her 'joke' is very wrong. It takes an innocent phrase a proud dad might use on a shirt for his daughter and turns it naughty/evil. If I had a daughter, I'd probably buy her this shirt...but I would be hoping it would be showing my skills as a provider, a guide, and a protector. I wonder what the designer of the tee would think to see her/his work put in such a position.
I have a new blog, take a look: writerdavidh.wordpress.com
I also write Alternative History and thrillers.
David Hewitt

Offline ShaneJeffery

• Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
I think the way the author puts it into her feed is the only reason to hate the shirt. Her 'joke' is very wrong. It takes an innocent phrase a proud dad might use on a shirt for his daughter and turns it naughty/evil. If I had a daughter, I'd probably buy her this shirt...but I would be hoping it would be showing my skills as a provider, a guide, and a protector. I wonder what the designer of the tee would think to see her/his work put in such a position.

It's only wrong in the sense that it's designed to inflame those who are calling her and her readers disgusting monsters.

Their argument has to be it's only a book, a story, some dumb fantasy that a whole bunch of people are into - if you don't like it, go away, leave us alone. And they're not being left alone, so then she fights fire with fire.

On the subject of the shirt itself - I wouldn't be surprised if said daughter refused to wear the shirt you bought for her with that slogan on it. No matter how much of a provider, guide or protector you think you are, no one likes someone blowing their own trumpet.

Offline sela

• Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 13, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
Only everyone thinks their line should be THE line.

I agree but that's largely because of ignorance.

Luckily, we do have laws and we do have TOS that can help guide the lines our community as a whole has set. Those lines, although not perfect, are good to go by when we need to adjudicate these issues.

Not just because we personally don't feel comfortable with the material. If that's the case, we all have the freedom to not read such material.

We can even get on high hobby horses and rail against books that cross our personal lines but may be "legal" and within TOS, but that seems like a waste of time.

There are a lot of books, subcategories, trends and tropes that I find cross my personal lines of taste, intelligence and value but I just don't read them. It's simple.

It's when books cross the legal lines and the lines retailers set, that it can be justified at least in law and TOS.

Even then, I highly doubt that the whole kerfuffle did anything more than get a lot of people's blood pressure up, make many lose friends, cross authors off their lists, and sell a whole lot of the offending author's books.

Offline Spinneyhead

• Salford, England
    • View Profile
    • Spinneyhead
« Reply #280 on: August 13, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »
Even then, I highly doubt that the whole kerfuffle did anything more than get a lot of people's blood pressure up, make many lose friends, cross authors off their lists, and sell a whole lot of the offending author's books.

I wish I could sell loads of my books by causing a big enough fuss about them. Unfortunately(!!??), my erotica involves consenting adults in equal relationships, even the one written to highlight genuine government censorship.

Offline restlessthoughts

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 13, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »
So I usually try to stay away from controversial topics. I hate conflict except the carefully scripted kind im my fiction. But I haven't seen mentioned yet. I read most of the post, but I might have missed it in the 12+pages.

Their has been a bit of talk about this as simply shock value marketing and I stumbled across something that relates to this.

If my google detective skills have led me to the correct book, the author is going to be one of two launch authors in a new digital short naughty erotica line from a traditional publisher that starts in September.

I don't think its an accident that we're all talking about this book right now.