Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good Fiverr Book Cover Artist?  (Read 2283 times)  

Offline J B Black

• View Profile
Can anyone recommend a good Fiverr Book Cover Artist?
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »
Has anyone on the forum had good results with any of the sellers on Fiverr for their book cover artwork at a reasonable cost?

I am looking for someone who can make a high definition digital reproduction of a stock photograph and alter it.

Specifically, what I want is to show a C-130 Spectre or Ghostrider in flight firing its weapons.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Online paranormal_kitty

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone recommend a good Fiverr Book Cover Artist?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
Right after I find a pet unicorn to adopt.

Offline C. J. Sears

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
https://www.fiverr.com/mnsartstudionew

I've had a great experience working with Maduranga on the covers for The Shadow Over Lone Oak and The Smiling Man Conspiracy. Both covers cost me around $20 and he's efficient and willing to listen to your criticisms. He does have a tendency to be late with some orders (he does a lot of business and operates from Sri Lanka) but I'm always happy with the end result.

If he's not to the standard you're looking for, there's plenty on Fiverr to browse through. Just be on the lookout for the best price/looks/time ratio.

Hope this helps.

Online TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
I'm going to do an AMS ad test of covers, and had MakeMyDesign do the sneezing planet illustration seen here:

I did the background (Free NASA image) and the typography.

She was nice to work with and it cost me $21.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Dhewco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »
I used the msartstudio guy for my first cover. It was decent at a decent price.
I have a new blog, take a look: writerdavidh.wordpress.com
I also write Alternative History and thrillers.
David Hewitt

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »
I'm going to do an AMS ad test of covers, and had MakeMyDesign do the sneezing planet illustration seen here:

I did the background (Free NASA image) and the typography.

She was nice to work with and it cost me $21.

I see you're doing this cover to test covers so I took a look at your current cover for the book and realized I already had it in my library already, purchased in Dec. 2015. (possibly it was free then?) Anyway, that cover must have drawn me in and I think it's a really good cover. Fwiw, I think it fits your book a lot more than the one above. The sneezing Earth looks cartoonish (which I know was your intention) but reading the first few pages of the book, the book doesn't seem at all cartoonish. With the sneezing Earth cover, I would expect the book to be humorous and aimed at middle graders. But the story is clearly not aimed at that age group.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline jesrphoto

• Buffalo, NY
  • Jes Richardson
    • View Profile
    • CoverBistro.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
When doing fiverr covers I recommend purchasing any of your stock licenses directly to make sure you're getting properly sourced images

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • ebookindiecovers
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:18:43 PM »
To be quite frank most of the Portfolios I have seen contain stolen covers from popular designers.  Example - see that cover called Shadow Marked?  I am sure it was done by Rebecca Frank, who charges around $500 for a cover.  Yet here is is on Fiverr with a 1-day turnaround no less and for $150:

https://www.fiverr.com/ginaona/design-amazing-ebook-cover-createspace-cover?context&context_referrer=search_gigs&context_type=auto&pckg_id=1&pos=24&ref_ctx_id=7b46b97a-873c-4271-822e-a132ce062bf6&seller_online=true&funnel=11ca92ae-77aa-4c0b-b34a-d07d9b4fb3ef

The kind of dishonesty and lack of any sort of copyright or moral understanding on the site should be enough to make you shiver.

Cover designers who read this - please occasionally check the portfolios over at Fiverr and report your stolen covers to their Trust and Safety department:

https://support.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/204827497-Copyright-and-Intellectual-Property-Rights
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:46:30 PM by Melody Simmons »

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
To be quite frank most of the Portfolios I have seen contain stolen covers from popular designers.  Example - see that cover called Shadow Marked?  I am sure it was done by Rebecca Frank, who charges around $500 for a cover.  Yet here is is on Fiverr with a 1-day turnaround no less and for $150:

I know C.N. Crawford, and I know damn well that Infernal Magic cover didn't come from Fiverr, either.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »

https://www.fiverr.com/ginaona/design-amazing-ebook-cover-createspace-cover?context&context_referrer=search_gigs&context_type=auto&pckg_id=1&pos=24&ref_ctx_id=7b46b97a-873c-4271-822e-a132ce062bf6&seller_online=true&funnel=11ca92ae-77aa-4c0b-b34a-d07d9b4fb3ef

The kind of dishonesty and lack of any sort of copyright or moral understanding on the site should be enough to make you shiver.

Cover designers who read this - please occasionally check the portfolios over at Fiverr and report your stolen covers to their Trust and Safety department:

https://support.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/204827497-Copyright-and-Intellectual-Property-Rights

NONE of those covers were done by this person. This is a straight up scam artist.

I read the title of this thread and thought that the word "good" next to "Fiverr" was an anomaly. I do think it is possible to find half-decent designers there, but you have to go in armed with a fair bit of knowledge, and when you have no money and can't do your own cover, you probably don't have this knowledge, otherwise you would be paying or doing it yourself.

The vast majority of covers I've seen from Fiverr are eye-bleedingly awful.  And then there is the issue that Fiverr designers use images they don't own the rights to. This is the type of stuff that you can seriously do without as beginning writer.

There are some premade cover sites that don't charge terribly much. Use them.

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 12:32:55 AM »
NONE of those covers were done by this person. This is a straight up scam artist.

What I found to be funny was when I was looking through the "cover" artists there, I found at least half a dozen that used The Godfather as one of their examples. I'm pretty sure Mario Puzo didn't use Fiverr to find his cover.
In The Mist - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2: 11%

City of Time: 29%

In The Beginning - Pale Riders, Inc. Book #1: 77%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\'s blog | My artist\\\'s blog

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »
The vast majority of covers I've seen from Fiverr are eye-bleedingly awful.  And then there is the issue that Fiverr designers use images they don't own the rights to. This is the type of stuff that you can seriously do without as beginning writer.

I found my latest cover as an image at Deviantart.com. I was looking through some portfolios and found one that I think will be perfect and made an offer to the artist and he accepted. That book will be out in about a week. Oh, and that image cost me $150 and I'll do the design myself. That I can handle.
In The Mist - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2: 11%

City of Time: 29%

In The Beginning - Pale Riders, Inc. Book #1: 77%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\'s blog | My artist\\\'s blog

Offline skywalker

• View Profile
    • Brain Science for a Better Life
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 02:30:04 AM »
What I found to be funny was when I was looking through the "cover" artists there, I found at least half a dozen that used The Godfather as one of their examples. I'm pretty sure Mario Puzo didn't use Fiverr to find his cover.
Good to know this

Online kcmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 02:43:17 AM »
Some artists also download cover templates and display those as their work. Make sure you look at the covers created for people on Fiverr and compare the quality with those on the first few pages. I'm afraid I can't recommend anyone. I haven't bought a Fiverr cover in several years. Though I didn't have any issues when I did.

Offline jmthrower

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
To be quite frank most of the Portfolios I have seen contain stolen covers from popular designers.  Example - see that cover called Shadow Marked?  I am sure it was done by Rebecca Frank, who charges around $500 for a cover.  Yet here is is on Fiverr with a 1-day turnaround no less and for $150

Wow. It's hard to believe anyone would so blatantly claim someone else's IP as their own, but here it is.

Online TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 06:31:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure Mario Puzo didn't use Fiverr to find his cover.

He did. You know why? Because they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:44:55 AM by TromboneAl »

Online TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »
The sneezing Earth looks cartoonish (which I know was your intention) but reading the first few pages of the book, the book doesn't seem at all cartoonish. With the sneezing Earth cover, I would expect the book to be humorous and aimed at middle graders. But the story is clearly not aimed at that age group.

Yes, I agree, although the humor accelerates when the alien arrives, takes on the form of Walter Cronkite, and complains about plot holes in the Wizard of Oz.

The thing is, I really want to know whether I should be emphasizing the humor in my books. So, I'm going to use that cover for two weeks and see if it sparks more AMS Ad clicks than the current cover. If it does better, I'll evaluate. I think there's enough humor that readers won't complain that it doesn't match the cover.

I currently only sell about eight per month.

Offline MichelleH

• Queens, NY
    • View Profile
    • M E Harmon Author's Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 06:55:34 AM »
I use a designer on fiverr that I like.  Sent you a pm. 

The thing about fiverr, lots of gigs are no longer five bucks. Genuine freelancers offer add-ons and multiple packages, so it's easy to rack up a higher bill for a service.

Fiverr is launching a Pro service - with vetted freelancers and higher rates. 

People are slamming fiverr - but when it comes to book covers - research the designer, check out the reviews (the more the better), check out their level rating and how many gigs have been purchased from them, and send the designer genre-related examples of the types of covers you like with clear descriptions about what you like about the cover. 

And then if you don't like what they deliver and can't work things out - use fiverr's resolution center to dispute the order. 

M.E. Harmon | website

Online TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 08:28:33 AM »
The thing about fiverr, lots of gigs are no longer five bucks.

Whoever founded Fiverr must not have known about inflation.

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »
I had great results for my book covers, but when I tried to use someone else for a logo-it was an awful experience. The design finally (after 30 days and many emails) produce a very nice logo. But it wasn't worth the hassle. DO YOU RESEARCH! Check for reviews & samples, where the designer is from and make sure they understand you directions.

Fuzzym does my book covers

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
He did. You know why? Because they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

lol

plot holes in the Wizard of Oz.

I lean towards the "currency debate" interpretation of the book.  I blame any plot holes on failures to appreciate the allegorical nature of the story.   ;)

As for Fiverr cover designers, those with good reputations will likely be booked solid.  You'll have to sift a lot of sand to find the diamonds, and once you find them, you'll probably have to wait a while.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v               vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 09:55:57 PM »
Wow, I looked a couple of these Fiverr book cover designer's portfolios and it's so fraught with fraud it's downright ridiculous. This person had movie posters for major Hollywood movies Gullivers Travelers (Jack Black) and Gone in 60 Seconds (Nicolas Cage, Angelina Jolie) as part of her "portfolio of book cover designs.

Bad enough when they were charging five bucks but now they're getting between $100-$150 for a cover.

And if you look at their "work" they have these collages of beautiful covers which I'm sure they stole and they use the same cover wall three times in order to push their real work down the line because then you start to see some amateurish covers from real customers and it's night and day from what's on the cover wall. I wonder why they didn't put that one in her wall of cover work.  ::)

I need to take a shower after perusing through that.

I've used Fiverr in the past but to photoshop stuff. Remove a background, stuff like that. I also used them for the album cover for my podcast image but I supplied all the images which I had the license for because I didn't trust Fiverr. That was a couple years ago. With Canva I can do a lot of the simple stuff I used to get done on Fiverr.

I would not get a book cover done on Fiverr. Plus its not even five bucks now. For $100-$200 you can a legit designer off Fiverr.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »
They don't even try to hide. Same "portfolio" being used by multiple "designers".

This isn't a deep dive into Fiverr. Both of these peeps are on the first page in "book cover designer" search on Fiverr. Yikes. Run.

Offline creativeparamita

• Want an awesome book cover? Let me help you :)
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Design
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »
We designed cover with a lot of hard work, that's why we have to charge high. I really feel hurted, when I see someone stole my design or copy them with very minor adjustment or copy it as it is.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • ebookindiecovers
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 12:45:51 AM »
Wow, I looked a couple of these Fiverr book cover designer's portfolios and it's so fraught with fraud it's downright ridiculous. This person had movie posters for major Hollywood movies Gullivers Travelers (Jack Black) and Gone in 60 Seconds (Nicolas Cage, Angelina Jolie) as part of her "portfolio of book cover designs.

Bad enough when they were charging five bucks but now they're getting between $100-$150 for a cover.

And if you look at their "work" they have these collages of beautiful covers which I'm sure they stole and they use the same cover wall three times in order to push their real work down the line because then you start to see some amateurish covers from real customers and it's night and day from what's on the cover wall. I wonder why they didn't put that one in her wall of cover work.  ::)

I need to take a shower after perusing through that.

I've used Fiverr in the past but to photoshop stuff. Remove a background, stuff like that. I also used them for the album cover for my podcast image but I supplied all the images which I had the license for because I didn't trust Fiverr. That was a couple years ago. With Canva I can do a lot of the simple stuff I used to get done on Fiverr.

I would not get a book cover done on Fiverr. Plus its not even five bucks now. For $100-$200 you can a legit designer off Fiverr.

Eeek!  That person has one of my covers.  And I just spent hours filling in forms to get one from another account removed (Fiver responded quickly and actually removed the whole account for that one - but what is the use if new ones just spring up?)  I am sorry there is just no excuse.  The designers I know have been contacting Fiverr regularly to get stolen covers removed for the past SEVERAL YEARS.  All the popular designers have covers stuck in some portfolios over there.  By now Fiverr must have caught on and done something to put a selection process in place to approve their sellers.

And my point is if someone has no scruples about putting anything they pull off the web into their portfolio - what other kind of business ethic will they have?