by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 8023

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good Fiverr Book Cover Artist?  (Read 1665 times)  

Online J B Black

• View Profile
Can anyone recommend a good Fiverr Book Cover Artist?
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »
Has anyone on the forum had good results with any of the sellers on Fiverr for their book cover artwork at a reasonable cost?

I am looking for someone who can make a high definition digital reproduction of a stock photograph and alter it.

Specifically, what I want is to show a C-130 Spectre or Ghostrider in flight firing its weapons.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Online paranormal_kitty

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone recommend a good Fiverr Book Cover Artist?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
Right after I find a pet unicorn to adopt.

Offline CRex896

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
https://www.fiverr.com/mnsartstudionew

I've had a great experience working with Maduranga on the covers for The Shadow Over Lone Oak and The Smiling Man Conspiracy. Both covers cost me around $20 and he's efficient and willing to listen to your criticisms. He does have a tendency to be late with some orders (he does a lot of business and operates from Sri Lanka) but I'm always happy with the end result.

If he's not to the standard you're looking for, there's plenty on Fiverr to browse through. Just be on the lookout for the best price/looks/time ratio.

Hope this helps.
Nominate "The Smiling Man Conspiracy" on Kindle Scout:

Amazon : Blog : Facebook : Goodreads : Twitter

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
I'm going to do an AMS ad test of covers, and had MakeMyDesign do the sneezing planet illustration seen here:

I did the background (Free NASA image) and the typography.

She was nice to work with and it cost me $21.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Online Dhewco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »
I used the msartstudio guy for my first cover. It was decent at a decent price.
I have a new blog, take a look: writerdavidh.wordpress.com
I also write Alternative History and thrillers.
David Hewitt

Online MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »
I'm going to do an AMS ad test of covers, and had MakeMyDesign do the sneezing planet illustration seen here:

I did the background (Free NASA image) and the typography.

She was nice to work with and it cost me $21.

I see you're doing this cover to test covers so I took a look at your current cover for the book and realized I already had it in my library already, purchased in Dec. 2015. (possibly it was free then?) Anyway, that cover must have drawn me in and I think it's a really good cover. Fwiw, I think it fits your book a lot more than the one above. The sneezing Earth looks cartoonish (which I know was your intention) but reading the first few pages of the book, the book doesn't seem at all cartoonish. With the sneezing Earth cover, I would expect the book to be humorous and aimed at middle graders. But the story is clearly not aimed at that age group.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline jesrphoto

• Buffalo, NY
  • Jes Richardson
    • View Profile
    • CoverBistro.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
When doing fiverr covers I recommend purchasing any of your stock licenses directly to make sure you're getting properly sourced images

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • ebookindiecovers
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:18:43 PM »
To be quite frank most of the Portfolios I have seen contain stolen covers from popular designers.  Example - see that cover called Shadow Marked?  I am sure it was done by Rebecca Frank, who charges around $500 for a cover.  Yet here is is on Fiverr with a 1-day turnaround no less and for $150:

https://www.fiverr.com/ginaona/design-amazing-ebook-cover-createspace-cover?context&context_referrer=search_gigs&context_type=auto&pckg_id=1&pos=24&ref_ctx_id=7b46b97a-873c-4271-822e-a132ce062bf6&seller_online=true&funnel=11ca92ae-77aa-4c0b-b34a-d07d9b4fb3ef

The kind of dishonesty and lack of any sort of copyright or moral understanding on the site should be enough to make you shiver.

Cover designers who read this - please occasionally check the portfolios over at Fiverr and report your stolen covers to their Trust and Safety department:

https://support.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/204827497-Copyright-and-Intellectual-Property-Rights
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:46:30 PM by Melody Simmons »

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
To be quite frank most of the Portfolios I have seen contain stolen covers from popular designers.  Example - see that cover called Shadow Marked?  I am sure it was done by Rebecca Frank, who charges around $500 for a cover.  Yet here is is on Fiverr with a 1-day turnaround no less and for $150:

I know C.N. Crawford, and I know damn well that Infernal Magic cover didn't come from Fiverr, either.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »

https://www.fiverr.com/ginaona/design-amazing-ebook-cover-createspace-cover?context&context_referrer=search_gigs&context_type=auto&pckg_id=1&pos=24&ref_ctx_id=7b46b97a-873c-4271-822e-a132ce062bf6&seller_online=true&funnel=11ca92ae-77aa-4c0b-b34a-d07d9b4fb3ef

The kind of dishonesty and lack of any sort of copyright or moral understanding on the site should be enough to make you shiver.

Cover designers who read this - please occasionally check the portfolios over at Fiverr and report your stolen covers to their Trust and Safety department:

https://support.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/204827497-Copyright-and-Intellectual-Property-Rights

NONE of those covers were done by this person. This is a straight up scam artist.

I read the title of this thread and thought that the word "good" next to "Fiverr" was an anomaly. I do think it is possible to find half-decent designers there, but you have to go in armed with a fair bit of knowledge, and when you have no money and can't do your own cover, you probably don't have this knowledge, otherwise you would be paying or doing it yourself.

The vast majority of covers I've seen from Fiverr are eye-bleedingly awful.  And then there is the issue that Fiverr designers use images they don't own the rights to. This is the type of stuff that you can seriously do without as beginning writer.

There are some premade cover sites that don't charge terribly much. Use them.

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 12:32:55 AM »
NONE of those covers were done by this person. This is a straight up scam artist.

What I found to be funny was when I was looking through the "cover" artists there, I found at least half a dozen that used The Godfather as one of their examples. I'm pretty sure Mario Puzo didn't use Fiverr to find his cover.
Wicked Rising - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #1: 100%

Into The Wishing Well: 95%

In The Beginning - Pale Riders, Inc. Book #1: 55%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\'s blog | My artist\'s blog

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »
The vast majority of covers I've seen from Fiverr are eye-bleedingly awful.  And then there is the issue that Fiverr designers use images they don't own the rights to. This is the type of stuff that you can seriously do without as beginning writer.

I found my latest cover as an image at Deviantart.com. I was looking through some portfolios and found one that I think will be perfect and made an offer to the artist and he accepted. That book will be out in about a week. Oh, and that image cost me $150 and I'll do the design myself. That I can handle.

Offline skywalker

• View Profile
    • Brain Science for a Better Life
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 02:30:04 AM »
What I found to be funny was when I was looking through the "cover" artists there, I found at least half a dozen that used The Godfather as one of their examples. I'm pretty sure Mario Puzo didn't use Fiverr to find his cover.
Good to know this

Offline kcmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 02:43:17 AM »
Some artists also download cover templates and display those as their work. Make sure you look at the covers created for people on Fiverr and compare the quality with those on the first few pages. I'm afraid I can't recommend anyone. I haven't bought a Fiverr cover in several years. Though I didn't have any issues when I did.

Kayci Morgan | Kayci Morgan Writes

Offline jmthrower

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
To be quite frank most of the Portfolios I have seen contain stolen covers from popular designers.  Example - see that cover called Shadow Marked?  I am sure it was done by Rebecca Frank, who charges around $500 for a cover.  Yet here is is on Fiverr with a 1-day turnaround no less and for $150

Wow. It's hard to believe anyone would so blatantly claim someone else's IP as their own, but here it is.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 06:31:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure Mario Puzo didn't use Fiverr to find his cover.

He did. You know why? Because they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:44:55 AM by TromboneAl »

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »
The sneezing Earth looks cartoonish (which I know was your intention) but reading the first few pages of the book, the book doesn't seem at all cartoonish. With the sneezing Earth cover, I would expect the book to be humorous and aimed at middle graders. But the story is clearly not aimed at that age group.

Yes, I agree, although the humor accelerates when the alien arrives, takes on the form of Walter Cronkite, and complains about plot holes in the Wizard of Oz.

The thing is, I really want to know whether I should be emphasizing the humor in my books. So, I'm going to use that cover for two weeks and see if it sparks more AMS Ad clicks than the current cover. If it does better, I'll evaluate. I think there's enough humor that readers won't complain that it doesn't match the cover.

I currently only sell about eight per month.

Offline MichelleH

• Queens, NY
    • View Profile
    • M E Harmon Author's Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 06:55:34 AM »
I use a designer on fiverr that I like.  Sent you a pm. 

The thing about fiverr, lots of gigs are no longer five bucks. Genuine freelancers offer add-ons and multiple packages, so it's easy to rack up a higher bill for a service.

Fiverr is launching a Pro service - with vetted freelancers and higher rates. 

People are slamming fiverr - but when it comes to book covers - research the designer, check out the reviews (the more the better), check out their level rating and how many gigs have been purchased from them, and send the designer genre-related examples of the types of covers you like with clear descriptions about what you like about the cover. 

And then if you don't like what they deliver and can't work things out - use fiverr's resolution center to dispute the order. 

M.E. Harmon | website

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 08:28:33 AM »
The thing about fiverr, lots of gigs are no longer five bucks.

Whoever founded Fiverr must not have known about inflation.

Online Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »
I had great results for my book covers, but when I tried to use someone else for a logo-it was an awful experience. The design finally (after 30 days and many emails) produce a very nice logo. But it wasn't worth the hassle. DO YOU RESEARCH! Check for reviews & samples, where the designer is from and make sure they understand you directions.

Fuzzym does my book covers

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
He did. You know why? Because they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

lol

plot holes in the Wizard of Oz.

I lean towards the "currency debate" interpretation of the book.  I blame any plot holes on failures to appreciate the allegorical nature of the story.   ;)

As for Fiverr cover designers, those with good reputations will likely be booked solid.  You'll have to sift a lot of sand to find the diamonds, and once you find them, you'll probably have to wait a while.
Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 09:55:57 PM »
Wow, I looked a couple of these Fiverr book cover designer's portfolios and it's so fraught with fraud it's downright ridiculous. This person had movie posters for major Hollywood movies Gullivers Travelers (Jack Black) and Gone in 60 Seconds (Nicolas Cage, Angelina Jolie) as part of her "portfolio of book cover designs.

Bad enough when they were charging five bucks but now they're getting between $100-$150 for a cover.

And if you look at their "work" they have these collages of beautiful covers which I'm sure they stole and they use the same cover wall three times in order to push their real work down the line because then you start to see some amateurish covers from real customers and it's night and day from what's on the cover wall. I wonder why they didn't put that one in her wall of cover work.  ::)

I need to take a shower after perusing through that.

I've used Fiverr in the past but to photoshop stuff. Remove a background, stuff like that. I also used them for the album cover for my podcast image but I supplied all the images which I had the license for because I didn't trust Fiverr. That was a couple years ago. With Canva I can do a lot of the simple stuff I used to get done on Fiverr.

I would not get a book cover done on Fiverr. Plus its not even five bucks now. For $100-$200 you can a legit designer off Fiverr.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »
They don't even try to hide. Same "portfolio" being used by multiple "designers".

This isn't a deep dive into Fiverr. Both of these peeps are on the first page in "book cover designer" search on Fiverr. Yikes. Run.

Offline creativeparamita

• Want an awesome book cover? Let me help you :)
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Design
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »
We designed cover with a lot of hard work, that's why we have to charge high. I really feel hurted, when I see someone stole my design or copy them with very minor adjustment or copy it as it is.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • ebookindiecovers
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 12:45:51 AM »
Wow, I looked a couple of these Fiverr book cover designer's portfolios and it's so fraught with fraud it's downright ridiculous. This person had movie posters for major Hollywood movies Gullivers Travelers (Jack Black) and Gone in 60 Seconds (Nicolas Cage, Angelina Jolie) as part of her "portfolio of book cover designs.

Bad enough when they were charging five bucks but now they're getting between $100-$150 for a cover.

And if you look at their "work" they have these collages of beautiful covers which I'm sure they stole and they use the same cover wall three times in order to push their real work down the line because then you start to see some amateurish covers from real customers and it's night and day from what's on the cover wall. I wonder why they didn't put that one in her wall of cover work.  ::)

I need to take a shower after perusing through that.

I've used Fiverr in the past but to photoshop stuff. Remove a background, stuff like that. I also used them for the album cover for my podcast image but I supplied all the images which I had the license for because I didn't trust Fiverr. That was a couple years ago. With Canva I can do a lot of the simple stuff I used to get done on Fiverr.

I would not get a book cover done on Fiverr. Plus its not even five bucks now. For $100-$200 you can a legit designer off Fiverr.

Eeek!  That person has one of my covers.  And I just spent hours filling in forms to get one from another account removed (Fiver responded quickly and actually removed the whole account for that one - but what is the use if new ones just spring up?)  I am sorry there is just no excuse.  The designers I know have been contacting Fiverr regularly to get stolen covers removed for the past SEVERAL YEARS.  All the popular designers have covers stuck in some portfolios over there.  By now Fiverr must have caught on and done something to put a selection process in place to approve their sellers.

And my point is if someone has no scruples about putting anything they pull off the web into their portfolio - what other kind of business ethic will they have?

Offline JsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 07:03:02 AM »
maxcovers made a few covers for me and I was happy with the results. However, his portfolio also contains covers I know weren't made by him. When I asked, he said the cover designer hired him to do some other work (I can't remember what exactly he said the work was). I didn't exactly believe him, but I gave him a try anyway.

He doesn't participate much in the brainstorming process, although if you tell him you want a flower in the backdrop, for example, he'll get you one.

https://www.fiverr.com/maxcovers/best-design-a-professional-ebook-cover-ever?context=recommendation&context_type=natural&context_alg=gig_to_gig&context_referrer=homepage&source=shopping_trends&funnel=bb250d41-9d49-449a-81f4-dfc98cb4b7cb

Edited to add: I reread this post and saw that I did, in fact, allege that this designer didn't make the covers on his Fiverr page. However, I have no evidence and no right to make such a claim. At best, it's a suspicion. I leave it up to the OP to decide whether the designer is worth checking out.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:49:56 AM by JsFan »

Online Dhewco

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »
That's one of the reasons I don't like Fiverr. I have no idea what makes a good cover. I could look at 'similar' books in my genre all day and be clueless. It's just not in my wheelhouse. When looking for a book, I barely pay attention to a cover. I've tried going through my genre...but I'm not finding success. If it wasn't for the nice lady who helped me with my current cover, I'd still be using the cover I thought was decent but everyone told me wasn't a 'scifi' cover.

So, when fiverr artists ask me to pick a few that are as close as possible to what I'd like...well, I'm flubberknucked.
David Hewitt

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 08:25:13 AM »
maxcovers made a few covers for me and I was happy with the results. However, his portfolio also contains covers I now weren't made by him. When I asked, he said the cover designer hired him to do some other work (I can't remember what exactly he said the work was). I didn't exactly believe him, but I gave him a try anyway.

He doesn't participate much in the brainstorming process, although if you tell him you want a flower in the backdrop, for example, he'll get you one.

https://www.fiverr.com/maxcovers/best-design-a-professional-ebook-cover-ever?context=recommendation&context_type=natural&context_alg=gig_to_gig&context_referrer=homepage&source=shopping_trends&funnel=bb250d41-9d49-449a-81f4-dfc98cb4b7cb

Yeah, I noticed this right off the bat...

Did you follow up with the actual cover designer to see if that was true? In the end, it's your reputation on the line if you get called out for using stolen work or unlicensed images.

Derek of CreativIndieCovers starts at $349 for a cover like Gates of Hell. And look at that cover, it's awesome. Yet this guy on Fiverr is implying he can design a cover like that for $10-$25-$40. He's actually not implying but having it in his Fiverr portfolio he's stating he designed that cover. Pish posh.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:31:54 AM by Alan Petersen »

Offline JsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Quote from: Alan Petersen
Did you follow up with the actual cover designer to see if that was true? In the end, it's your reputation on the line if you get called out for using stolen work or unlicensed images.

Derek of CreativIndieCovers starts at $349 for a cover like Gates of Hell. And look at that cover, it's awesome. Yet this guy on Fiverr is implying he can design a cover like that for $10-$25-$40. He's actually not implying but having it in his Fiverr portfolio he's stating he designed that cover. Pish posh.

No, I left the matter alone.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • ebookindiecovers
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
No, I left the matter alone.

Mmm...if an author should display someone else's book on his website and claim he helped to ghostwrite a part of it, I wonder if authors will also react by saying it's okay - just ignore it and buy some of his other books....

Or what if a ghostwriter uses YOUR book to advertise their services?  Would that be okay with you?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:01:18 PM by Melody Simmons »

Offline JsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 01:31:55 AM »
Mmm...if an author should display someone else's book on his website and claim he helped to ghostwrite a part of it, I wonder if authors will also react by saying it's okay - just ignore it and buy some of his other books....

I find it interesting that you said I ignored it, and I especially take exception to your suggestion that I found it OK. Like I said, I asked the designer about the cover and he said he did some work on it. It was a while back and I don't remember his exact response. I decided to give the designer the benefit of the doubt. It's really not my job to be the plagiarism police, and unless you did some follow-up, you actually don't know whether the designer told the truth or not.

I don't know how many people try to find out whether the portfolios are real before hiring cover designers. I did. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be taking the blame for here.

Have you ever seen knockoff bags, watches, clothes, makeup etc? How many have you reported?

Or what if a ghostwriter uses YOUR book to advertise their services?  Would that be okay with you?

No, it wouldn't, but that wouldn't make it somebody else's responsibility to report the ghostwriter to me.

The OP asked: 'Has anyone on the forum had good results with any of the sellers on Fiverr for their book cover artwork at a reasonable cost?' I'd rather stick to answering this question. If you feel so strongly about alleged plagiarism, you're free to contact the authors or cover designers.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:23:37 AM by JsFan »

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 01:45:23 AM »
There is a huge difference between buying something unwittingly and believing the seller's spin at the time, and recommending someone who you know filches stuff from other designers. I cannot overstate how huge.

The problem with fiverr is that 1. it doesn't check the veracity of seller's claims, 2. the people who sell there often don't know either because they're n00bs or their English is poor, 3. the writer who buys at fiverr doesn't know this either because most likely they're not terrribly experienced either and genuinely have no idea that this happens or how to spot or avoid it.

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 02:26:45 AM »

Yes, but if I can get the artist that created these covers and only $15 for a premium cover, WOW! I'm all in.  ;)

Offline JsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 02:34:30 AM »
There is a huge difference between buying something unwittingly and believing the seller's spin at the time, and recommending someone who you know filches stuff from other designers. I cannot overstate how huge.

Like I said, I DO NOT KNOW if he stole the cover or not. And neither do you, frankly, unless you investigated this yourself. I asked and he said he did some work on it. Why should I not accept his answer? Freelancers hire others all the time to help manage their workload.

Again, the question was, 'Has anyone on the forum had good results with any of the sellers on Fiverr for their book cover artwork at a reasonable cost?' I was happy with what maxcovers did for me. That answers the question the OP asked.

If you think there's something to report, why not write to Derek Murphy or Joanna Penn?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:50:43 AM by JsFan »

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 02:50:29 AM »
Like I said I DO NOT KNOW if he stole the cover or not. And neither do you, frankly, unless you investigated this yourself. I asked and he said he did some work on it. Why should I not accept his answer? Freelancers hire others all the time to help manage their workload.

Again, the question was, 'Has anyone on the forum had good results with any of the sellers on Fiverr for their book cover artwork at a reasonable cost?' I had some satisfactory work done for me by maxcovers, which answers the question the OP asked.

If you think there's something to report, why not write to Derek Murphy or Joanna Penn? What problems are your criticisms solving?

I know.

I know Joanna, and she does not use people from fiverr to do her covers. Neither does Derek. He's a graphic designer. This is a fraud. Maaaayyybe, just maybe, he did some work for them, but the site gives the impression that he did the covers. It's at best misleading.

What does it solve?

I tell you what. A while ago I got an image off a free, public use image site and used it for a book cover I made myself. A few months later, I get a takedown notice and nastygram from some music group I've never heard of before, who had their lawyer send me a scary email. The person who uploaded this image to this free image website had stolen the image. Don't ask me why, since no one got paid for it, but there you go.

I took the image down of course and told him where I got it. I ended up speaking to the band's manager, and he was a really cool dude and we ended up chatting a good deal, but it could so easily have ended up in a very nasty way. Apparently the band were big in the 70s. Whatever did I know about it?

This is the sort of stuff (people threatening to sue you) is something you can totally do without as beginning writer.

Offline JsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 03:00:20 AM »
I know.

I know Joanna, and she does not use people from fiverr to do her covers. Neither does Derek. He's a graphic designer. This is a fraud. Maaaayyybe, just maybe, he did some work for them, but the site gives the impression that he did the covers. It's at best misleading.

Well, you have information I don't have. I don't know if Derek hires help or not. But, I have found that some professionals also have Fiverr accounts to fill up their schedules. So, it's possible that maxcovers does other freelance work outside of Fiverr.

What does it solve?

I tell you what. A while ago I got an image off a free, public use image site and used it for a book cover I made myself. A few months later, I get a takedown notice and nastygram from some music group I've never heard of before, who had their lawyer send me a scary email. The person who uploaded this image to this free image website had stolen the image. Don't ask me why, since no one got paid for it, but there you go.

I took the image down of course and told him where I got it. I ended up speaking to the band's manager, and he was a really cool dude and we ended up chatting a good deal, but it could so easily have ended up in a very nasty way. Apparently the band were big in the 70s. Whatever did I know about it?

This is the sort of stuff (people threatening to sue you) is something you can totally do without as beginning writer.

I was asking what criticising me solves here on Kboards. The difference between your situation and mine is I didn't claim to make the Gates of Hell cover nor did I use copyrighted materials. I ordered the images used for my covers from stock photo websites; I'm sure my covers are my own.

I reread my original post. I did allege that the designer didn't make some of the covers. That was wrong.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:03:05 AM by JsFan »

Offline Joss

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »
I've used Maraneev for my last three book covers (some show at the top of her page):

https://www.fiverr.com/mareeniv/design-ebook-covers-catalog-covers-cd-covers

It's $63, so not as cheap as some, but well worth it. She'll redesign the cover until it fits your spec, and is very patient.

Online Dhewco

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
I've used Maraneev for my last three book covers (some show at the top of her page):

https://www.fiverr.com/mareeniv/design-ebook-covers-catalog-covers-cd-covers

It's $63, so not as cheap as some, but well worth it. She'll redesign the cover until it fits your spec, and is very patient.

Link didn't work for me, any idea why? I wish there was a way to search for artists by name. ETA: Never mind...I had to try like six times before it would work. I'm puzzled.
David Hewitt

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 09:11:25 AM »
I emailed Derek with links to Maxcovers Fiverr gig and this thread. He replied back that he does not use Fiverr for design work but uses them for other stuff. Maxcover's cover wall is all stolen images from Derek's work. He said it happens all the time on Fiverr. So much that's he's given up wasting time with Fiverr to get that stuff down. He doesn't know who Maxcover is or if he ever used him for something else. But 100% Maxcover has not designed any covers for Derek like that Gates of Hell cover. Shocking.  ;D

And even if someone hires a person on Fiverr to do some other small gig it doesn't give that Fiverr person the right to claim that he designed $5,000 worth of covers. And by putting them in his Fiverr portfolio that's what he's doing. That he designed those covers.

I would be ticked off if the Fiverr person that designed by podcast photo album starts claiming that it's his podcast and when confronted they have the cajones to say, it's okay, I've done work for him so I can say it's my podcast.

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't care.

Two reasons:

First, on any given day, thousands of people can make false claims regarding work they've supposedly done on my books. I don't have time to police 'em.

Second, their chicanery doesn't hurt my business.

Note that I'm not addressing plagiarism. I'd treat that differently.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline JsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
It appears that the designer has updated his portfolio and removed several covers. I double checked some covers with reviews, and it appears maxcovers is the legitimate designer.

Offline JsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
It appears that the designer has updated his portfolio and removed several covers. I double checked some covers with reviews, and it looks like maxcovers is the legitimate designer.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • ebookindiecovers
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
I emailed Derek with links to Maxcovers Fiverr gig and this thread. He replied back that he does not use Fiverr for design work but uses them for other stuff. Maxcover's cover wall is all stolen images from Derek's work. He said it happens all the time on Fiverr. So much that's he's given up wasting time with Fiverr to get that stuff down. He doesn't know who Maxcover is or if he ever used him for something else. But 100% Maxcover has not designed any covers for Derek like that Gates of Hell cover. Shocking.  ;D

And even if someone hires a person on Fiverr to do some other small gig it doesn't give that Fiverr person the right to claim that he designed $5,000 worth of covers. And by putting them in his Fiverr portfolio that's what he's doing. That he designed those covers.

I would be ticked off if the Fiverr person that designed by podcast photo album starts claiming that it's his podcast and when confronted they have the cajones to say, it's okay, I've done work for him so I can say it's my podcast.

That is the problem - it takes time to get the stuff taken down, and new designers just pop up again doing the same thing.  The whole thing stinks.  I mean I just had a look over there now and there are still dozens of portfolios filled with stolen stuff. They are falsely claiming to have created those covers, and using the hard work of others to sell their gigs.  Until Fiverr does something to check on their sellers it is just not a place I can recommend.  It is cheating and fraud, and I don't see why it is any less serious than book scammers who use click farms, scammers who pirate books and any other kind of fraud that goes on in the book business.

And I will say it here.  I mean if the OP had asked which click farm someone can recommend for advertising his or her book - all the authors here would have jumped on him and thoroughly told him why not to use a click farm in the first place.  So I am explaining why Fiverr should not be used in the first place.

Fiverr knows it is illegal and copyright infringement.  They have taken down whole accounts that I have reported.  So they know there is a problem.  They need to put measures in place to prevent it, that's all.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:44:22 PM by Melody Simmons »

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • ebookindiecovers
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »
Like I said, I DO NOT KNOW if he stole the cover or not. And neither do you, frankly, unless you investigated this yourself. I asked and he said he did some work on it. Why should I not accept his answer? Freelancers hire others all the time to help manage their workload.

Again, the question was, 'Has anyone on the forum had good results with any of the sellers on Fiverr for their book cover artwork at a reasonable cost?' I was happy with what maxcovers did for me. That answers the question the OP asked.

If you think there's something to report, why not write to Derek Murphy or Joanna Penn?

So if someone asks for recommendations for advertising click farms you will also give the one that worked for you, and state that if anyone has anything against a particular click farm they need to contact the FBI instead?

Offline Nicole Simon

• Berlin, Germany
  • I write about marketing tactics and tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
Just look for how covers look, where there is actually a review on it.
Usually when you have these "good looking" things and then you go to the entries where there is a review, it looks quite diffeernt.

Dont see one in the carrrousel at the top? Big red flag.

Also look out for style - usually designers have a style which they seldom deviate from. Variety in their display is a hint for "not from them"