Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: FINDAWAY - I've just chosen a narrator.  (Read 1038 times)  

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
FINDAWAY - I've just chosen a narrator.
« on: August 10, 2017, 11:25:34 PM »
The last time I had an audio book made up it was via a chance email from a small company that was offering to do it for nothing in exchange for 50% royalties. There was no proper contract and today I still earn a bit of money from it every year. The narration was good (funny) and I'm not unhappy with the setup, except I have zero control over the marketing and it's exclusively on ACX. Recently, the price has returned to something akin to a market-rate due, I think, to the entrance of a competitor in FINDAWAY. So, there are high hopes of a better level of royalty in future years, but I won't hold my breath.

So, when D2D came up with their partnership with FINDAWAY, I decided why not, and proposed two books immediately for tender. The first one, Mutant Hunter, needed to be a British non-regional accent and an easy flowing manner. FINDAWAY found me a dozen different narrators within the first week. They were priced from $115 - $350 per finished hour (approx 900 words) and gave good samples of their range of abilities. Perversely, the more expensive they were, the plummier they sounded (which isn't what I wanted at all) and I ended up choosing the cheapest one because the voice was more naturally aligned to my requirements.

So, here I am three weeks later, ACCEPT button pressed and now waiting to proceed with the chosen narrator who I estimate is going to cost me $1,200 to do my book and if it works out, I'm considering doing several other books back to back with him. These will include the parts 2,3 and 4 of the series that I already have part 1 out there for and might include a rehash of that edition as well, if I do the rewrite I planned.

I don't know what market price I'm going to set and I also don't really know what level of royalty to expect once I get the audio book out there in the world. What I DO know is I am so pleased to take a route to market that isn't expensive, leaves me in total control over copyright and production AND isn't exclusive to ACX/Amazon. I can sell my audio books wherever I like, give them away if I want.

That is the way it should be done.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
Re: FINDAWAY - I've just chosen a narrator.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
I will watch with interest. I'm considering using Findaway with my upcoming non-fiction, mostly because it's shorter and isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg, and I feel people are more open to getting a non-fiction book from an author's website. If I can find an easy way to deliver the content--something like Gumroad?

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:36:55 PM »
If I can find an easy way to deliver the content--something like Gumroad?

I've just installed my wife's shop on https://www.etsy.com/shop/ILoveDriftwoodArt and it's a possible contender for audio books as it caters for digital as well as physical items.  Gumroad sounds like a possible alternative too. The beauty of FINDAWAY is they will open the doors into global markets for you (including libraries) without compromising your rights. You choose who you place your audio books with and you still retain control.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:40:54 PM »
I've just installed my wife's shop on https://www.etsy.com/shop/ILoveDriftwoodArt and it's a possible contender for audio books as it caters for digital as well as physical items.  Gumroad sounds like a possible alternative too. The beauty of FINDAWAY is they will open the doors into global markets for you (including libraries) without compromising your rights. You choose who you place your audio books with and you still retain control.

I'm sure I will be able to find a site that would handle delivery and payment. I can do the payment, but I'd need a delivery mechanism. Haven't really looked into it, but I'm sure it exists. Maybe we should bug Bookfunnel to start doing audio books. Maybe by the time I have an audio book outside ACX, they will be able to do it :P

Offline Domino Finn

• Dark Urban Fantasy
    • View Profile
    • DominoFinn.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:09:11 AM »
Thanks for reporting on the process. It sounds nice.

I am so pleased to take a route to market that isn't expensive, leaves me in total control over copyright and production AND isn't exclusive to ACX/Amazon. I can sell my audio books wherever I like, give them away if I want.

Is this part different from ACX though? You can choose what to pay and not be exclusive. Does ACX not allow you to give away your book?

Domino Finn | website | twitter | facebook

Offline Huldra

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »
Thank you for reporting on your experience with the. I, too, plan on using them for my next short serial, though I'll be having the audio book produced beforehand to avoid the sign-on fee. It'll be my test-run to see if it's possible to turn audio books profitable without axc exclusivity rates.

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 01:31:08 AM »

Is this part different from ACX though? You can choose what to pay and not be exclusive. Does ACX not allow you to give away your book?

I'm going to be in ACX via FINDAWAY so yes, I can be non-exclusive there too. I can either go through them or directly upload my own audio. I'm not yet decided on how to proceed.

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:32:09 AM »
though I'll be having the audio book produced beforehand to avoid the sign-on fee.

Using D2D there is no sign-on fee.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 01:51:16 AM »
I'm going to be in ACX via FINDAWAY

Now I'm confused.  Did you mean to say Audible instead of ACX?  Also, where all does FINDAWAY distribute to?

In any event, I'll be watching with interest, and I really hope it all works out for you.   :)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 02:13:46 AM »
Now I'm confused.  Did you mean to say Audible instead of ACX?  Also, where all does FINDAWAY distribute to?

In any event, I'll be watching with interest, and I really hope it all works out for you.   :)

Here is an excerpt from their FAQ's - should answer many questions. By the way, I'm not touting for business for them, just passing on my personal comments and expectations.

With Findaway Voices, your audiobook will be distributed through the world's largest network of audiobook sellers, representing a variety of industry partners, sales channels and business models. Our global distribution network includes top sellers from retail, public library, and K-12, and we're always expanding with the market.

Voices works with more than 20 partners and nearly 10 unique business models.

Current partners include:

Retail
Audible, Amazon, Apple
Barnes and Noble NOOK
Scribd
TuneIn
eStories (formerly eMusic)
Playster
24symbols
Downpour
Audiobooks.com
Hummingbird
Libro.fm
AudiobooksNow (coming soon)
Library & K-12
Baker & Taylor
EBSCO
3M/Biblioteca
Follett
Mackin
Perma-Bound
Odilo
Overdrive
Hoopla (coming soon)
With Voices, authors set their own list prices and are paid royalties based on the list price they set, meaning more dollars earned for every sale.

As the author, you keep 80% of all royalties Voices receives, which vary by distribution partner, channel, and business model. The royalties Voices receives from its partners are within the following ranges:

A la carte: 40% to 50% of list price
Subscription: 30% to 40% of list price
Audible: Standard non-exclusive terms

Offline FFJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 05:18:41 AM »
Following with interest.

Thanks for sharing your experience Tobias.

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »

ACX will give you 25 free codes for each audio book if you request them.  I think that's all the free audio books they allow.

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »
Thanks, Tobias.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Domino Finn

• Dark Urban Fantasy
    • View Profile
    • DominoFinn.com
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »
Tobias, I meant to ask how Findaway was better than ACX? You seemed to be happy to use Findaway over ACX, but I'm not clear how Findaway is better.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »
Tobias, I meant to ask how Findaway was better than ACX? You seemed to be happy to use Findaway over ACX, but I'm not clear how Findaway is better.

Tobias lives in Greece. I think that answers the entire question. Unless you live in the US or UK, or got in through Joe Nobody's deal (me), you can't list at ACX.

Offline Domino Finn

• Dark Urban Fantasy
    • View Profile
    • DominoFinn.com
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »
Tobias lives in Greece. I think that answers the entire question. Unless you live in the US or UK, or got in through Joe Nobody's deal (me), you can't list at ACX.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense!

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »

I'm not sure it's a matter of one being better than the other.  I found the ACX link very restrictive when it first wouldn't allow me to register, then when I could register from the UK, I looked at many of the conditions of joining them and finding a narrator and going exclusive with them. I never read all of the forums about them, but the gist of it was that I felt intimidated by their control of the audio market through Audible and Amazon & iTunes. It seems to me that Amazon and 'friends' boxing off the whole indie market was counter-productive and I resigned myself to waiting until another competitor entered the fray. One I could work with. Enter FINDAWAY who appear to have a fairly decent penetration and coverage of the global audio book market and doesn't exclude the possibility of using any of the aforementioned parties. The ultimate decision was the author's total retention of marketing and copyright whilst using their expertise to help me successfully navigate the audio book market. I'm very excited at the prospect of finally getting my books into narration without compromising ANYTHING! :D

Offline Domino Finn

• Dark Urban Fantasy
    • View Profile
    • DominoFinn.com
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
I see. For the record, anyone who produces an audiobook through ACX is NOT forced to go exclusive. ACX has exclusive and non-exclusive terms, and Findaway uses the same non-exclusive terms that you could by producing through ACX.

Though I'm unsure of the difference between the agreements regarding licensing, etc.

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 11:05:05 AM »
Though I'm unsure of the difference between the agreements regarding licensing, etc.

Me neither, honestly. The truth is I'm all for breaking the hold of the major markets where I feel they aren't operating in the (my) authors interests. The prime example being the degradation of pricing under whispersync which has cost me a considerable amount in royalties on my first book. Selling the audio version for over 2 years at $1.99 was not of any benefit to me. I think that settled me into an opposition role with ACX/Audible/Amazon (regardless of who's fault it was). My choice with FINDAWAY was just a matter of timing and price as well as who they are not. :D