Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: S l o w... slo-oh writer  (Read 3302 times)  

Offline scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
S l o w... slo-oh writer
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »
I even wrote that slowly. I type fast, think slow, and plod along. I tried being fast at publishing but just can't maintain it.

Anyone else a slow writer/slow publisher here?
PREVAIL - Owen Hunter Series Book 3: 99%
Scott Marmorstein | blog | web | facebook

Offline Nic

• View Profile
Re: S l o w... slo-oh writer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
Yes. Here. But we also get there eventually.  ;D

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »
Yes. Here. But we also get there eventually.  ;D

:D

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:33:48 AM »
Yes, very slow. I might publish two books this year.  :o

Last year, only managed one.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 10:34:55 AM »
I'm slower than I used to be. I just got a bit sick of banging them out at breakneck speed.

Offline MKK

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
Slow...how about glacial?

Because I speed read, which is a whole different problem, I can't proofread my own writing. I have to listen to it...repeatedly...and it has to flow in my head.  I don't outline because most of the time I have no idea what I'm going to write until I write it, which means hours thinking about and then writing and re-writing gaps in the story. They say write fast and edit, but I can't do it. Each paragraph has to be shaped before I can move on.

I got great pleasure and relief from reading The Art of Slow Writing by Louise DeSalvo. It made me feel better about myself. That said, I sure would like to speed things up.

Mark Kelly | Facebook

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 10:53:41 AM »
I even wrote that slowly. I type fast, think slow, and plod along. I tried being fast at publishing but just can't maintain it.

I think you're on to something here. I was planning to start a thread but I'll use yours with permission.
Type fast - think slow.
That's the problem. I could type 10K a day if I had anything to write. It's noodling out all the nuances and fitting them together in a contextually believable way that takes the time.
So when folks say: "I write XK a day," what they mean is: "I think of XK to write and actually write it down, a day."

So yes, I am an incredibly fast writer, but it takes days, sometimes weeks to think of exactly what to write.
And FYI I tried the "just write anything" philosophy, but I hate going back and changing nonsense I wrote, just to write. Every word has to count - has to make sense in the story.

And one last sidebar, I don't drink (alcohol) much at all. The other day I drank a bottle of wine in a social context and came up with a great idea that opened up the plot of one of my WIPs. So now I see why those "great writers" were half cut most of the time. But my head and liver couldn't take that on a regular basis, so back to plodding.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »
I think I'm a fast writer, I just don't have enough time to write. I can put out 1-2 books a year, so that's about 200,000 words a year, but I only write on weekends.

Offline Dhewco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »
Yeah, I write slow. I've been working on my sequel since I published in March 2016. I'm only at 55k of a projected 80k. At this rate, I might finish in Jan. LOLOL
I have a new blog, take a look: writerdavidh.wordpress.com
I also write Alternative History and thrillers.
David Hewitt

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »

And FYI I tried the "just write anything" philosophy, but I hate going back and changing nonsense I wrote, just to write. Every word has to count - has to make sense in the story.

I have the same issue.  I can type fast, but I don't do rough drafts.  Too much work to go back and fix all the mistakes.  When it's clear in my head, then I write it down. 

This isn't my day job, but I do try to write, market, edit, etc. at some point during every day.  I'm not terribly slow...but not fast either. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline baronfrosti

• View Profile
    • baronfrosti.com
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
I have embraced my slowness by releasing my serial in ten parts of about 4-5K each which took me about six months to write.

Baron Frosti | baronfrosti.com | twitter | facebook

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
I think I should mention, that although I do write slowly, I am able to make a respectable income from this gig.

Offline Piano Jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
I write fairly quickly. But my problem is that it takes me 5,000 words of writing to actually gain 1,000. (Not exact proportions)

This week, for example, I wrote over ten thousand words. One was a new story idea that I realized a couple thousand words in didn't have enough of a plot or conflict to sustain a story. Then I wrote a few more thousand of a different story, including several sprints and brainstorming sessions, and realized this morning that there were parts of it that didn't make much sense. So I wrote three thousand words today brainstorming a new idea that would make sense.

None of this week's words are usable, actual words that will ever be published.

It's not always quite that bad, but I always have that issue in form or another. Like I said here before, I'm always amazed that that rarely comes up when people talk about word count speed, how long it takes them to write a novel, etc.

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website

Offline Piano Jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
Type fast - think slow.
That's the problem. I could type 10K a day if I had anything to write. It's noodling out all the nuances and fitting them together in a contextually believable way that takes the time.
So when folks say: "I write XK a day," what they mean is: "I think of XK to write and actually write it down, a day."

I know what you mean, and that always baffles me. People say things like, "Write just 500 words a day and your novel can be finished within half a year. And 500 words is hardly anything! You probably write emails that are almost that long."

Uh ... okay. But I don't have to invent worlds and characters, and figure out their relationships to each other, and make all the emails link to each other with a dash of suspense. In other words, you have to actually ... figure stuff out. That's the part that takes forever.

I was re-reading Chris Fox' book recently and just shaking my head. He talks about doing sprints, so far, so good, I do those too. But then he talks about going to edit, and how he does that even faster than the original sprint?? That's where he loses me. The "going back" takes me much, much longer.

And I don't mean agonizing over word choice or beautiful sentence structure, either. I mean just making a cohesive, decent story.

Oh well. Maybe I'll get there someday.

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »
I'm super slow too because I think and mull over things. I want stuff to make sense, and when I'm not happy about a scene, I slam on the brakes until I figure it out. I'm not too worried though, it will get done eventually!

Offline Lady TL Jennings

• Oxfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Secret Quill
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »
I used to be incredibly slow, but with the years I've become faster.
In 2011 when I started writing it usually took me two to three weeks to figure out a short story and then approximately the double time writing it. That's about nine weeks for a 2,500 short story... Talk about slow mo writing (!).

I gradually became faster and I still remember the surprise when I managed to write 1,000 words during one day! I felt like a manic squirrel running round in small circles, high on coffee.

At the moment I aim to write 10k a week until I've the first draft finished. The first draft is generally rather clean, but editing and rewrite everything in longhand takes about the same time. Just like MKK I need to listen to what I've written when I edit, so I do that forever a couple of time before I write everything down in longhand into journals, which is part of my writing process.

Two factors that made it possible for me to increase my word speed were plotting and deliberate practice to become a faster writer. I type relatively fast, but that doesn't help unless I know what I'm going to write (or worse if I've to delete it because it was derailing the main story...).
I don't like writing in sprints, because it makes me stressed and it destroys the flow of my writing. However, since January I've started tracking my writing and have more proper weekly goals (with rewards!). Ideally I like writing four days a week, have one day for marketing/publishing, and the weekends off.

I'm quite pleased with my current writing speed, and I'm happy to see that there are so many other slower writers here on the board. :)
Lady T. L. Jennings ~ Writing 19th century Victorian Oh-la-la and Romance in longhand, since 2011

http://www.mysecretquill.com

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
  • Finally published! :D
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 04:13:40 PM »
I feel slow, and probably am relative to many prolific writers. I'm getting faster, however! I started my debut novel in spring of 2012 and finished October 2016. I started the sequel November 2016 and finished April 2017. I started the third on July 6th 2017, and I intend to have it done in a couple weeks.

So, almost five years to almost five months to almost two months. I think I need a small break before the sequel trilogy though, and I wonder if anyone else considers that in their annual production schedule or word counts? Should we be averaging over non-writing time as well, or only time spent actually writing? If you want to count my meticulous outlining, that's even slower, I think.

It's not at all balanced either. Some days I can hit 10k+ if I hit the right stride, but other days it's a struggle to get to 500, if any at all.
Star Dog Liberation: 100%

Offline Seshenet

• Seattle
  • Writer, editor and ancient Egypt aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »
A thousand words a day is a good amount for me. I have a day job and type a great deal (I'm an editor). Also, years ago, I pinched the ulnar nerve in my right hand (affects the little and third finger -- don't recommend doing it), so I don't try to type more than that, although sometimes I get up to 1,200.

I majored in journalism, so I learned to compose (on a typewriter) and edit in my head as I wrote. The habit has never left me. So, accounting for days when I don't write, I can write about 80,000 words in about 3-4 months. I'm almost at 70,000 words in my WIP and I started that on April 23. Then I will go back and edit and add more description after I finish.

I don't worry much about how much I write on any given day. There will always be scenes that take forever to write and I might end up with 400 words that day but then it's done and won't need a lot of revising. The sprint thing would probably not be good for my right hand anyway.  :)

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »
I think you're on to something here. I was planning to start a thread but I'll use yours with permission.
Type fast - think slow.

So yes, I am an incredibly fast writer, but it takes days, sometimes weeks to think of exactly what to write.

And one last sidebar, I don't drink (alcohol) much at all. The other day I drank a bottle of wine in a social context and came up with a great idea that opened up the plot of one of my WIPs. So now I see why those "great writers" were half cut most of the time. But my head and liver couldn't take that on a regular basis, so back to plodding.

This is me, exactly, every word of it.  :)

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »
I majored in journalism, so I learned to compose (on a typewriter) and edit in my head as I wrote. (Snip)

I write this way!  I didn't think about it, but you're right...journalism background, too. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
Yes, very slow. I might publish two books this year.  :o

Last year, only managed one.

Seriously?? I never would've guessed!!!

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
I type 91 wpm with no mistakes. I can easily type over 100 wpm with a couple of mistakes.

I write a book in about a year. (This sequel will take a bit longer, as I've been mobilized in the Reserves.) A good chunk of that year, though, is staring at the wall listening to music and twirling a pen thinking about what I'm going to write. I'm finishing my third complete rewrite of my sequel; it's been 10 months since I released my debut and it's been about 6 months that I've been seriously working on Book II. So, I'm writing about 40-50,000 words a month. It's not like I'm sitting on my ass, here. I write a LOT. I just release very little.

I could, realistically, write a book in two months at the rate that I type, but it would be awful. Typing is not writing. Staring at the wall thinking is writing. Everything else is gymnastics.

I figure two more complete, blank-page rewrites to get this book where I want it. I hope to have it to my editor by January and have it out 18 months after my first novel. It may be longer. Dragon's Trail went through 15 complete rewrites over 20 years. It also got turned down by agents and major publishers 47 times during all that. The sixteenth time was the charm, though; this sixteenth rewrite landed on over 50 bestseller lists on every major ebook platform in 4 countries. Put your time in.

I cling steadfastly to the belief that all first drafts suck and should never see the light of day. I refuse to face the fact that there are apparently brilliant authors out there who turn out first drafts that are publication-worthy with only a quick proofread. I don't want to believe that such people exist, because I would suck-start my shotgun. I've been writing for 30 years, I write and lecture professionally, and my early drafts -- this one included -- are unengaging, prosaic, infantile dreck. (I haven't completely disregarded the idea that I need multiple drafts because I'm a terrible writer. But this draft that I'm working on right now -- and finishing -- is crap. If I released this right now, I'd be afraid that one of my fans would leave a horse's head in my bed.)

My debut is selling very well. Enough so that we're doing a cover redesign and series branding, and building a hardback version with new maps, and planning a re-release for the 1-year mark with a massive promotional and publicity push, and going into brick-and-mortar distribution. I have no reason to hurry on the sequel; I've only scratched the surface of the market. Further, putting out subpar work at this point would only hurt my long-term career. This entire series has to be better than the debut. I'm just finding my fan base. If I blatantly BS my way through my second book, no one will read my third. Or my sixth. Or my tenth.

Write fast, write slow. Write what you write. The world will wait.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:30:24 PM by Joseph Malik »
Dragon's Trail: 100%

The New Magic - Draft 4: 50%

Hardcover now available.
Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik | Website | Blog| Mailing List

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
Seriously?? I never would've guessed!!!

Ha, ha, ha ... YES! I did write some short stories though, too. Very strategic short stories that have helped out my career, so there is that!

Offline Nic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »
I type 91 wpm with no mistakes. I can easily type over 100 wpm with a couple of mistakes.
Typing is not writing. Staring at the wall thinking is writing. Everything else is gymnastics.

This exactly. I type at 100 wpm and above if pressed, the typing is no problem and not the writing. The staring at the empty screen is.

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »
I'm generally a fast writer...when I'm writing. My word counts are not always as consistent as I'd like. I've tried to give myself a daily word count goal of 1,000. It worked for a while, but I just haven't had much of anything for the last couple of weeks. I don't know whether it's the project I'm working, the stress of work and life in general, or even that I've hit a depressive bipolar phase.

One nice thing is that I currently have plenty of material I can revise and edit. Still, I'd like to get back to writing more. For me, it is only partially the money aspect. Another part of it is that I simply want to write all these stories that are in my head (and more keep popping up every day).
God Child (The God War's Chosen, #2): 65%

The Broken Sky (The Broken Sky, #1: 10%
Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline NicoleSmith

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 07:19:50 AM »
Type fast, write slow.

Can't write when I'm not feeling it. Someone else mentioned that they find it pointless to just sit and type 10k words' worth of nonsense, and it's the same thing for me; those forced sessions don't provide anything of value. So with a day job, I can probably do one good book a year. Without a day job, I could probably do two good books plus some 'marketable' fluff.

(Yes, there are a few tricks I can use when I'm not 'feeling it', especially music, but if they don't work and I keep trying it just makes it worse. If the correct part of my brain doesn't feel like engaging, I might as well be writing a VCR manual.)

Offline Nic

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »
If the correct part of my brain doesn't feel like engaging, I might as well be writing a VCR manual.)

That's one of the best ways of explaining it I've read so far  8)

Offline Rosie A.

• Washington, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »
I write daily. My quickness or lack thereof comes in seasons. For one season, I write fast. For another season, I write glacial. It all depends on the project and the things happening in my life. When I'm stressed or there's a lot of drama, I create slowly.

Historical Romance: 20th Century & Western Brides
Rose Historicals Site

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »
Type fast - think slow.

Flay, you sound like me, on the writing and the drinking front. I don't like the taste of alcohol, plus it doesn't get me buzzed, so it's a total nonstarter for me. You have my permission to make as much of this thread as you like. And as you can see, I haven't been back to this thread to respond in a long while...slo-oh-oh...slow.

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »
I'm a serial procrastinator. I can write fast, but I waste hours (and hours and hours) somewhere....

Today I had someone take the children for 6 whole hours so I could work. I wrote 300 words. What a waste of 6 free hours! Where the heck did they go? I mean seriously - 300 words? I'm so irritated with myself...

Wait - I could be working right now, I have at least five minutes before I have to start kids bath time... Yeah, no.

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
    • G.R. LeBlanc - Haiku Poet and Fiction Writer
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
We had a thread here months ago, but no one has posted to it in a while. I've been meaning to resurrect it. You are not alone.

Slow Writer's Progress Thread:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,233135.0.html

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »
My problems from "The Window Shopping "
What I found in life, if you over window shop(want to buy something)..research the heck out of it...read all the reviews you can find, look for the best deal... Well you get to the point you don't want it.
What has this have to do with slow writing?
Well as I'm writing I think, Maybe there is something out there that is better to write in... I google writing software, trying all the new stuff and once I figure out I have the best, I move to; Maybe my story would be better if I outline it, so I search...reviews..etc..,
I find out...I don't like to outline all that much but I keep trying
Or I think maybe someone out there has a better idea on how to write better, so I buy/download a bunch of books, read a chapter or two and figure out there isn't a magic "word" that will open the gates and I'll "Get it"
I do this to the point I'm sick of writing and I go play my guitar...
I finally figured out that when I write ...I write
When I study writing I do it between books
When I search for the holy grail of software....I do it before a book..
When you write...You only write.
Thats what helps me speed up  ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:17:05 AM by CASD57 »

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Offline Skip Knox

• Richland, Washington
    • View Profile
    • Altearth
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
Slow. You guys are all speed demons. How about eight years to finish a novel? I did write two novelettes and two short stories in that span, but still. Very, very still.

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
I first had the idea for what is now the final novel in a seven book historical series in 1980. In 2005 I wrote a first draft of that book. In 2010 I wrote a first draft of the first in the series. In 2012 I wrote the first draft of the second (now the third, since I've decided to cut the first one in half.) In 2015 I wrote the first draft of the third (now the fourth) novel. None of them are at finished yet. So that's... what? Thirty seven years? And still not done! :D

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2017, 12:57:31 PM »
Sadly, speed can be important if one wants to make a living at writing, especially in the current climate. However, even now, I'd say that quality is more important. I admire the people who can write fast and still produce quality. I know I'm not one of the them, and I'm at peace with that.

I started writing three years before I retired. Each year I produced one novel and one short piece. The first year I retired, I produced two novels, one novella, and three short pieces. In terms of word count, that was more than in the three preceding years. The second year of retirement, I produced one novel, one textbook (very long), one novella, and five short pieces for anthologies. This year I'm not sure I'll be as productive.

Yes, dealing with a day job is bound to restrict someone's productivity. However, it isn't the only factor. When I retired, I figured I'd work the same number of hours as I had been working. That happened occasionally the first year, not so much since then. Since I'm not depending on writing for my income, the temptation to procrastinate is strong. Also, I spent many years working very hard (10-12 hours per weekday, 4-5 hours each day on the weekend), and rest still seems oddly attractive to me.

Goal setting helps. The trick is to set realistic goals and then make sure (barring emergency) that you meet them. If you set the goals too high and don't make them, that will tend to make you unhappy and increase the likelihood you'll just throw the goals out the window.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
Flay, you sound like me, on the writing and the drinking front. I don't like the taste of alcohol, plus it doesn't get me buzzed, so it's a total nonstarter for me. You have my permission to make as much of this thread as you like. And as you can see, I haven't been back to this thread to respond in a long while...slo-oh-oh...slow.
Drinking sounds like a lot of fun, but I always had more fun watching other folk get drunk.
And thanks, looks like your thread has developed legs. Slow legs.

Goal setting helps. The trick is to set realistic goals and then make sure (barring emergency) that you meet them. If you set the goals too high and don't make them, that will tend to make you unhappy and increase the likelihood you'll just throw the goals out the window.

That doesn't work. I have a pathological desire not to be told what to do, even by myself. On the plus side it made always be the guy in charge, on the negative, goals just don't work. I have to decide to do it, punishment and reward don't work.

Offline JMorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2017, 04:39:16 PM »
Another slow thinker here. I type at a decent-ish rate when I can see and hear the scene in my head, but if I can't, there's no hecking way. I struggle to get 300 words an hour.
And part of my issue is that I HATE wasted words. I've written a gazillion words now across 3 books that will never be used or got the delete key because I wrote the wrong thing for the story. I'm trying to get a good grip on story structure and trying to become a plotter (nope, still a pantser). So far the only thing that increases my writing/publishing speed is that elusive movie in my head.
I usually see the opening scenes, a few key middle ones, and the end, but then I spend months and months stitching all that together in a cohesive way. Which doesn't seem like it should be that hard, except all those scenes I see don't make any sense until I write what goes on between them. Bah!
Crush, Book 3: 50%
Facebook

Offline UK1783

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 06:10:47 PM »
Some of you people have nine books out. And you think you are slow?

When I put my arse in the chair and actually put my hands on the keyboard, I can write. It's no problem. It's the motivation to write. Sometimes I think about doing it and I just think, Jeez that sounds like no fun at all. Then I start and I can't stop.

Motivation is my issue. I could be anything I wanted to be -- If I could be bothered.

Offline number

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
I love this thread because it gives me hope.

I have such a hard time sticking with anything. First I only wrote nonfiction. Then I wrote for kids. Then short stories ... now I'm on to the next thing. I need to write but nothing seems to quite fit! I keep telling myself that if I persist then I'll find my own writing space. I hope.

Offline Yayoi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »

How many words do you write each day? Right now, I'm still not done with the first book of my first series (so my first book technically), and I started August of last year! But I admit, I jumped straight away to the second book, because I already knew my plot. LOL. I should've finished the first book first so now I'm trying to finish it. The other problem I have is how I don't manage my time. I easily get distracted with the internet, surfing on Reddit for example. I know I really have to clean up my act because, judging from the time I waste every day, I can easily finish at least chapter and could do so much more.

Looking at your books, I think you're not doing bad yourself. I mean, at least you've written some already.

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 12:00:56 AM »
That doesn't work. I have a pathological desire not to be told what to do, even by myself. On the plus side it made always be the guy in charge, on the negative, goals just don't work. I have to decide to do it, punishment and reward don't work.
I'm with you on goal setting. If I tell myself, "You MUST," another part of me is sure to pop up and say, "The h*** I must!" And then I'm likely to want to PROVE I don't have to... This can get really bad when it comes to crucial deadlines- like taxes. So I've learned some workarounds. I will rarely disappoint others if they are depending on me for something, so sometimes I can make that work for me. Sometimes just making it a routine- not a requirement, just an everyday ho-hum kind of thing... "Oh yeah, time to brush my teeth... and fire up Scrivener..." works. And once in a while- all too rarely- the story itself drives me on. Usually some kind of amalgam of writers group, habit and interest in the story itself is what gets me through.

Offline toddhicks209

• St. Louis
    • View Profile
    • Where to find my books
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 03:29:45 AM »

Don't sweat it. Going too fast may add unnecessary pressure and cause more errors, frustration, etc.

Todd Hicks

Offline Ross Harrison

• Derry
  • Author of Sci-Fi, Thrillers, and Steampunk
    • View Profile
    • Nexuseses
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »
My first book took me from age 12 to age 18 to finish (then years more to edit and rewrite and give up on agents). I then started and finished book 2 in 5 months. Book 3, which I just published, was on again off again for about 6 years. My thriller felt like it took me ages to write, and every time I sat down it was a struggle to get anything out, but it took about a year. So it's fair to say my writing is all over the place, at least speed-wise.

At the moment, I've determined that if I keep writing 600 words a day, I'll have finished this book by February :) This seems like it should be doable even on days that I can't get much out. Other days, I can easily put out several thousand words. It all depends how far ahead my mind can get. It's like going out for a walk, not knowing what the weather's like - some days it will be nice and clear and you'll get far, and other days it'll be thick fog and you'll barely make it to the end of the driveway!

In conclusion, I've been writing seriously for about 18 years (most of which seems to have slipped by me unnoticed), first published around 6 years ago, and I've published 4 novels and 2 short stories.

Ross Harrison | ross-harrison.com

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
So far what this thread has taught me is there is no such thing as a 'slow writer', but instead there's careful, deliberate and thoughtful authors. That's encouraging. Which is not to say that the fast, extremely prolific indies out there are not 'careful, deliberate and thoughtful', but rather their brains are wired in such a way that they're able to conjure, create and organize at a greater rate of speed...that, or their drugs are just better.  :P

In all seriousness though, I often think of myself as being 'careful, deliberate, thoughtful', but really when I get rolling I can world-build and outline and create character arcs, or bang out scenes and chapters relatively quickly...my problem is with daydreaming. I've been getting lost in daydreams, falling into mini-trances where I'm off in another world, since kindergarten, and probably before that.

If I could somehow keep my mind from wandering so much during the creative process perhaps I could speed up my production, but then again it's probably that daydreaming that makes me the creative person that I am, and really the money I'd spend on a drug habit, for the purposes of improving focus, is probably better suited to acquiring professional covers, marketing, etc...hmmm...well...maybe, maybe not... (I kid, I kid...just say no, people!)  8)

Offline UK1783

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »
It took Mark Z. Danielewski ten years to write House of Leaves.

Just sayin'.

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »
My problems from "The Window Shopping "
What I found in life, if you over window shop(want to buy something)..research the heck out of it...read all the reviews you can find, look for the best deal... Well you get to the point you don't want it.
What has this have to do with slow writing?
Well as I'm writing I think, Maybe there is something out there that is better to write in... I google writing software, trying all the new stuff and once I figure out I have the best, I move to; Maybe my story would be better if I outline it, so I search...reviews..etc..,
I find out...I don't like to outline all that much but I keep trying
Or I think maybe someone out there has a better idea on how to write better, so I buy/download a bunch of books, read a chapter or two and figure out there isn't a magic "word" that will open the gates and I'll "Get it"
I do this to the point I'm sick of writing and I go play my guitar...
I finally figured out that when I write ...I write
When I study writing I do it between books
When I search for the holy grail of software....I do it before a book..
When you write...You only write.
Thats what helps me speed up  ;D

I'll admit to doing some of this once in a blue moon. But mostly, I feel totally happy with my software situation, so it's not the platform. It just takes me an inordinate amount of time to get into my world.

Here's the thing: I work full time, and I do my writing on the side...in between snippets of mayhem/work-family-insanity, a really difficult spot to be in for writing itself...And somehow I find a way. I HAVE been writing, between 400-1000 words per day almost every day (vacations are just no fly zones for me), so I feel lucky. It's just getting my brain into the mode of the story so I can capture what I already know is there. Wording what I want is another enchilada altogether.

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »
I've spent 50 hours writing over the last 20 days and I have right at 4,000 words to show for it. I don't even know why I bother some days.

Because you're awesome? Because you want to create a sense of escape from this bizarre, difficult and challenging world we all live in, for other people to enjoy? I think it's because you're a writer, and writers (mostly)=awesome. That's my vote.  :)

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
If I could somehow keep my mind from wandering so much during the creative process perhaps I could speed up my production, but then again it's probably that daydreaming that makes me the creative person that I am, and really the money I'd spend on a drug habit, for the purposes of improving focus, is probably better suited to acquiring professional covers, marketing, etc...hmmm...well...maybe, maybe not... (I kid, I kid...just say no, people!)  8)

I think your daydreaming is definitely an asset.

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
My first book took me from age 12 to age 18 to finish (then years more to edit and rewrite and give up on agents). I then started and finished book 2 in 5 months. Book 3, which I just published, was on again off again for about 6 years. My thriller felt like it took me ages to write, and every time I sat down it was a struggle to get anything out, but it took about a year. So it's fair to say my writing is all over the place, at least speed-wise.

At the moment, I've determined that if I keep writing 600 words a day, I'll have finished this book by February :) This seems like it should be doable even on days that I can't get much out. Other days, I can easily put out several thousand words. It all depends how far ahead my mind can get. It's like going out for a walk, not knowing what the weather's like - some days it will be nice and clear and you'll get far, and other days it'll be thick fog and you'll barely make it to the end of the driveway!

In conclusion, I've been writing seriously for about 18 years (most of which seems to have slipped by me unnoticed), first published around 6 years ago, and I've published 4 novels and 2 short stories.

I hope it's comforting to know that you're still eons ahead of so many other aspiring writers, who never even finish what they start. You're successful in my book!

Offline gmaz135

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 05:42:02 PM »
Super-slow. One a year. The deeper I get into a project the faster (relatively speaking) I go.
Tin Man: 7%
george mazzeo | Chasing Dragons

Offline C.A. Bryers

• Minnesota
  • https://www.facebook.com/cabryersbooks
    • View Profile
    • C.A. Bryers Books
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
I write slow as well--slow compared to the self-pubbing mantra of "publish sixteen books every three months!!!" I typically release about a book a year like a trad author, most just shy of 100K words. I'd definitely be able to do two, maybe even three a year, but you know...full-time job, kids to raise, etc. I normally have a couple of hours at the end of the day when I'm dead tired, sleep for five hours, get up and do it all over again.

C.A. Bryers | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
SLOW here as well (one or two books a year, but I am trying to improve that).  Well actually the writing itself goes fast.  It's the editing later on that gets me.  And I tend to obsess over it too much.  I know it will never be prefect, but I still keep aiming for that (even though I shouldn't).

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+

Offline SarahCarter

• London, UK
  • Fantasy and YA author
    • View Profile
    • Sarah Carter
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 03:57:08 AM »
Just finished the first draft of my first murder mystery. Took me a year and one week :( And I'm not going to publish it until I've finished the 2nd book and written at least half of the 3rd...

I'm the sort of writer who works in spurts. I'll have a few days where I'm easily writing 1k+ a day. Then I'll have a month where I don't write a single word. I just can't write unless I'm inspired. Ideas have to come to me organically. If I try to force myself, then the writing comes across very forced and bland, and I often have to delete it all. Then I have to put my laptop away otherwise I'll end up screaming.

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
I write slow as well--slow compared to the self-pubbing mantra of "publish sixteen books every three months!!!" I typically release about a book a year like a trad author, most just shy of 100K words. I'd definitely be able to do two, maybe even three a year, but you know...full-time job, kids to raise, etc. I normally have a couple of hours at the end of the day when I'm dead tired, sleep for five hours, get up and do it all over again.

You're singing my song.  ;D

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »
SLOW here as well (one or two books a year, but I am trying to improve that).  Well actually the writing itself goes fast.  It's the editing later on that gets me.  And I tend to obsess over it too much.  I know it will never be prefect, but I still keep aiming for that (even though I shouldn't).

Editing is my least favorite part of the experience. My wife is brutally honest when she reads my work..."I like the idea, but can you rewrite this whole chapter or scrap it? It's boring and I don't believe any of it."

Twist knife in belly :-X. But she loves the stuff I write really well and doesn't fail to tell me that either. :)

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
Just finished the first draft of my first murder mystery. Took me a year and one week :( And I'm not going to publish it until I've finished the 2nd book and written at least half of the 3rd...

I'm the sort of writer who works in spurts. I'll have a few days where I'm easily writing 1k+ a day. Then I'll have a month where I don't write a single word. I just can't write unless I'm inspired. Ideas have to come to me organically. If I try to force myself, then the writing comes across very forced and bland, and I often have to delete it all. Then I have to put my laptop away otherwise I'll end up screaming.

Yep, me too. Most days I just literally don't have time to sit and devote to it. Then, sometimes I have the rare day off, like I did yesterday, and just sat on the couch and didn't even open my latest MS to do anything. Felt like playing rather than writing. I think playing or doing nothing of consequence feeds the fertile subconscious playground in a way that just working all the time doesn't quite touch.

Offline Dpock

• Inland Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
I think Hemingway stated 400-500 words a day meant he was on fire. Nabokov settled for 250 words a day on index cards. P.G. Wodehouse could pump out 40k in three weeks, but only after a month or two of plotting things out. I strive for 4k a day, am happy with 2k.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »

Um. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or anything, but when I sit down to write, I just write. I haven't spent much, if any, time thinking about it. But, see. That's me. That works for me. You guys shouldn't feel bad about your writing style. Sometimes it's lack of experience, or too much other stuff going on. Life is like that. Heck, I had years where I didn't write at all, some stretches where I didn't even think about writing, because life was too hard to deal with.

My problem is getting myself to sit down and actually write. The words will come, if my fingers are on the keyboard. Consistency is the key. Keep moving forward, keep learning, keep practicing. You may end up not being as slow as you think. And really, outside of romance, you don't need a book a month. My goal is four a year (and I don't write long novels, mostly around 55K), so that's obtainable for me, I think.

Keep calm and carry on!
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
I am. Took a bunch of typing classes, but still hunt and peck central here.

"Slow...wri-ter...types 10 words per minute,
Slow...wri-ter...takes 10 years to finish~"

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
My writing isn't so much slow.. the problem is, once I get in writing mode I have to really focus on the writing, if I veer off for anything its daisy's and rainbows for an hour or more before I set myself back on track.. it's nuts!
Fate\'s Fallen: 100%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 54%

Evolution\'s Child: 100%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac