Author Topic: Did somebody share my permafree short? Big boom in downloads  (Read 561 times)  

Online Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
Did somebody share my permafree short? Big boom in downloads
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
Hi all,

Did anybody share my permafree mil scifi short, "Totaled," recently? I saw a big leap in downloads today--like over tenfold. Not that I'm complaining! And if you shared it, I'm very happy, lol. Just want to know who to thank, I suppose  8)

"Your bitter recollections have time to change themselves into sweet remembrances." -Dumas
Benjamin Douglas | newsletter | blog | twitter | the book speaks podcast

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
Re: Did somebody share my permafree short? Big boom in downloads
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »
Is it around 500 extra? Especially without an accompanying rank boost (which yours doesn't seem to have had or there's a long delay for kicking in), it could be due to what's looking like track covering for botters. The 500 number has been happening regularly to random authors for both permafree and KU freebies for the past 3 or 4 months now at least.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=250783.0
  (click to enbiggen)

Online Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »
Is it around 500 extra? Especially without an accompanying rank boost (which yours doesn't seem to have had or there's a long delay for kicking in), it could be due to what's looking like track covering for botters. The 500 number has been happening regularly to random authors for both permafree and KU freebies for the past 3 or 4 months now at least.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=250783.0

Hmmm I wonder if that's happened. Only 126 though. I think if it had shot up to 500 in one day without any ads or promo, I would've gone out and bought a lotto ticket  :P

"Your bitter recollections have time to change themselves into sweet remembrances." -Dumas

Online Lauriejoyeltahs

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »
Could also be amazons program for schools- https://whispercast.amazon.com/ . Idk what sorts of books are included or if it's all kindle books or what not, but my kids school uses it. I only recently learned what it was called.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »
My free downloads increased sharply today.  150+ more than usual, so far.  I wonder if there will be more throughout the day.  I too wonder if it's related to whispercast.
Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »
BTW, the huge increase in downloads hasn't seemed to affect my rank; I expected it to get to a much better number.    :(
Jena

Online Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »
BTW, the huge increase in downloads hasn't seemed to affect my rank; I expected it to get to a much better number.    :(

That jives with what Phoenix said, minus the 500 number. I wonder if someone is trying to be clever about covering their tracks by flying under the 500 radar, so to speak. Purely speculation on my part.

I wouldn't mind a bit if it brought up my rank  :P

Online Lauriejoyeltahs

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 07:32:20 AM »
That jives with what Phoenix said, minus the 500 number. I wonder if someone is trying to be clever about covering their tracks by flying under the 500 radar, so to speak. Purely speculation on my part.

I wouldn't mind a bit if it brought up my rank  :P

If you email Amazon they can verify whether or not it was  whispercast. They won't tell you who it was but they will give the malarkey first about investigating it, then that they verified it was an indeed purchase for whispercast with xxx copies bought. I know someone here had an order a month or so ago that came back with that- it was a 500 order I think.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »
I had another big download of one of my freebies yesterday.  Not quite 150 this time.  I wonder why it's only the one book.  I have a number of freebies, but it's the same one that gets the mass-download (whispercast?) treatment every couple of months.
Jena

Online Lauriejoyeltahs

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:28:27 PM »
I had another big download of one of my freebies yesterday.  Not quite 150 this time.  I wonder why it's only the one book.  I have a number of freebies, but it's the same one that gets the mass-download (whispercast?) treatment every couple of months.

I think I would email them and ask to verify if it's valid purchases. Hopefully is something like whispercast- but if it is I think they will tell you. This is the thread the other person posted/ received the answer it was indeed whispercast for them:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,250783.msg3537712.html#msg3537712

It's always possible the people cheating are getting smarter and using more random numbers, though it seems odd it would always be the same book.