Author Topic: Nook First Look  (Read 1762 times)  

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
Nook First Look
« on: August 12, 2017, 05:51:16 AM »
I've had a gander for this throughout the forum but can't find anything specific.

Today I got an email regarding Nook's 'First Look'. I clicked to learn more but it just brought up the page with the books they currently have.  I went on 'Sign Up' and it took me to a google docs form--really B&N!

Does anyone know anything more about this?  Tried this?  Signed up to it?  What exactly are the benefits they're seeing this giving to authors, besides earlier release on their store? Am I missing something? 

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
Re: Nook First Look
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 06:03:55 AM »
I received the same email but didn't click on anything. I instead went to my NOOK Press support page. Couldn't find anything about NOOK first look, which I found highly suspicious. It leads me to wonder if this has anything to do with NOOK or B&N.

At any rate, I'm not clicking on any links until I can get a clear sense of who is really behind this. 

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 06:14:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure NOOK first look is a benefit to their customers, not to their authors. The sign-up is to have a chance to buy books early, so it's meant for customers.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:32:21 AM »
Great minds!!  I too looked here to see if anyone posted about this.  Like you, I clicked on Learn More, only to be taken to the actual sales page on Nook.   >:(   But from the email clicking Sign Up does lead to more info.  The extent of which is:

The NOOK First Look program highlights new releases from independent authors and publishers making these titles available to Barnes & Noble readers two weeks before wide release. NOOK First Look titles must be available through the NOOK Press platform and must be new releases in order to be considered.
To submit your eBook for consideration in the NOOK First Look program, please fill out this form with the following information. Please be advised that we can only accommodate one title per author approximately every 4-6 months so please choose your best title to nominate. As well, your title will be considered for the NOOK First Look program at the sole discretion of the NOOK Press team. We will contact you via email within a month if your title has been selected.

**When submitting this form, please note that your title must be no less than 8 weeks out from publication and all final files must be available 2 weeks before the wide release of the title. Final files must also be loaded to your portal no less than 72 hours before publication.

I do have a new book coming out in the next few weeks.  It's not a first-in-series, although it's not serialized, so more of a standalone...  wonder how that would do.
Jena

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »
Wow, Nook are freaking geniuses at getting the word out about things, huh? 

Yeah I discussed this with some other people and the only thing they could see of benefit would be to Nook themselves.  Surely they need some sort of incentive to try and get Authors to sign up.

Although, being a little no one, I wouldn't mind using it as a leg up for going wide if I decided to do that with my next series!

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
I got the email too, and was briefly excited until I realised I don't have any books to offer them.

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
Maybe I'll try it with my next release. I usually do a six week pre-order, I can probably commit to a 'final' version being available two weeks before the formal release date.

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »
I just got the email today. I'll be giving it a shot with my next release. Not much details on requirements, however. I only see that it has to be on their site for 2 weeks before wide release.

Patrice Williams Marks | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Youtube

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
Wow, Nook are freaking geniuses at getting the word out about things, huh? 
Yes, sadly this is why Nook is its current position.  If B&N hand handled things different, listened to their customers, the Nook might have taken a good run at Amazon.  Instead they took the "we know better than you" attitude and look where it got them.  The thing is, why did they keep ignoring customers when they could clearly see what they were doing wasn't working?

I also got the email, but didn't click on anything.  If the links DO go to a google docs sign up, I would be very suspicious.  I can see B&N trying this though, but I think it is too little too late.  Four or five years ago, it would have been a good move.  I always liked the Nook, it is just sad that B&N have mismanaged the platform as badly has they have.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 05:34:48 PM »
I got the email this morning, too.

I assume the incentive for us is that they'll promote the titles in some way? A special catalogue for customers to browse in? I would expect at least that much, or else why should we participate?

I don't have anything ready to launch soon, but I'm interested to see if others do well with it.

Laura Rae Amos writes kooky and emotional relationship dramas, stories that are usually witty, sometimes poignant, and a little bit crass. Visit me at LauraRaeAmos.com // Tweets @LauraRaeAmos // Or chat on Facebook

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
Yes, if anyone actually does this, please report it here!  Would be interesting to know how it works, what's what and what happened afterwards.

Online Mercia McMahon

• London
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
Yes, sadly this is why Nook is its current position.  If B&N hand handled things different, listened to their customers, the Nook might have taken a good run at Amazon.

No Amazon happened to them in the form of Kindle Select, which originated as a very successful attempt to stop Nook challenging their US market share. Then to make matters worse trolls took over the Nook reviews section.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
I wish NookPress would address their existing issues. This could potentially be a great program but between their lackluster author customer service and wonky dashboard, I'm not enticed. They've really broken faith with me.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »
No Amazon happened to them in the form of Kindle Select, which originated as a very successful attempt to stop Nook challenging their US market share. Then to make matters worse trolls took over the Nook reviews section.
That is one aspect, but that is only one hole in a pot-hole filled road.  The earliest example was with the Nook classic/first edition.  We told them over and over again what we wanted for upgrades in the software (better sorting of books, better library controls, improved searching) instead we got two games and a web browser.  While they did, eventually, add a form of categories, it was never enabled so that you could do so from say calibre on a desktop.  Then they never did fix several problems and stopped all updates except for the Nook Tablet and color.  But that only lasted, hmm a year before they stopped that too.  They had a nasty habit of not supporting their devices past a year or so.

Not to mention their website had issues for a long time.  Heck I don't think they fully fixed it yet compared to before the huge revamp a few years ago.  Back then that the site was fast, easy to use, and worked well.  While they have made great strides in fixing it, it is still not a 'improvement' compared to back then.

And of course who can forget them removing the ability to download your books via a web browser so you could side load them to the Nook?

There is a ton more but I am sure you have heard it all before.  By contrast Amazon has supported all the older versions of their devices and care what the customers have to say.  That in the end is how they buried their competition.  But of course I am sure the price situation helped, but honestly even with the lower prices, do you think they would be on top if they gave the same experience as B&N?  I don't think so.

The sad thing is I have always liked the Nook and have several devices (most of them altered beyond what B&N designed) and a lot of books on the platform.  It had so much potential.  A part of me still hopes B&N will get their act together, but seems they only keep going down the same road.

Offline Chris Weston

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
I remember reading about this a few years ago. The Nook First program has been around for a while, but I believe you had to contact Nook Press about it just to ask if you were eligible. They never really advertised it or anything. It looks like they're making moves to make the program more accessible, and that's a huge change from how Barnes & Noble has operated before. Maybe it's too little, too late. I can see why the Nook Press team would want to curate which books get spotlighted. Hopefully, this means more good change coming to Nook.

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 02:33:11 PM »
I got it last month and checked it out.

https://earlybirdbooks.com/

I think it's a newsletter promoting a partnership with Nook. I contacted them and they've invited me to place an ad, but I haven't seen them discussed in the Writer's Cafe.

The newsletter itself appears to have the seal of approval in the Book Corner http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=239123.0

$180 for the newsletter alone
$225 for the n/l plus social media (unspecified)
$315 for above plus an online piece with SEO

Looks professional enough, just a little expensive. I'm tempted by the newsletter though.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
So let me get this straight, this thing that they're offering, isn't just a hey, come and launch your book here, get some early reviews, it's actually a hey, come give us your book early AND give us money for it!

Whoa.

No.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »

I think it's a newsletter promoting a partnership with Nook. I contacted them and they've invited me to place an ad, but I haven't seen them discussed in the Writer's Cafe.

The newsletter itself appears to have the seal of approval in the Book Corner http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=239123.0

Looks professional enough, just a little expensive. I'm tempted by the newsletter though.

I don't think this (earlybirdbooks) is the same thing as Nook First Look.  Nowhere on early bird books does it mention Nook.  At all.
Jena

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »
So, if I read the sign up form correctly (which I thought it was also a bit surprising they're using a Google form), the book needs to be available for pre-order already? However, not everyone can do pre-orders (the last time I emailed and asked to be able to do pre-orders they pretty much said no by copying and pasting from their own website).

This all seems rather poorly executed.  :(
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 3%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 35%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »
*snip*

That sums up the whole B&N operation very well.

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »
That sums up the whole B&N operation very well.

Yep. Sigh.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline Sara Rosett

• Mystery and intrigue with humor on the side...
    • View Profile
    • SaraRosett.com
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »
So, if I read the sign up form correctly (which I thought it was also a bit surprising they're using a Google form), the book needs to be available for pre-order already? However, not everyone can do pre-orders (the last time I emailed and asked to be able to do pre-orders they pretty much said no by copying and pasting from their own website).

That was my issue as well. If I can't set up a preorder on Nook Press then how do I get the EAN number, which is required on the form: " "EAN *
This is your 13-digit BN Identifier Number that can be found on your book's product page on BN.com."

Seems a bit of a Catch-22.

I'd love a way to promote on BN.com and hope they get the issues worked out. Enabling pre-order would be a good start.

Writing mysteries and teaching How to Outline a Cozy Mystery online course
Sara Rosett | Webpage | Twitter | Pinterest | All Things Bookish | Facebook |

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 04:46:52 AM »

This is a different thing. I used that service yesterday at the same time as a Bookbub. I'll probably use it again in the future. I feel like ORM might reach people I can't otherwise.

For Nook First Look, I can set up preorders with them, and I usually have a preorder lead time where the book is ready to go and I'm just lining up other things. This sounds like something I can commit to, and it might be interesting to see if it works.

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 07:12:16 AM »
This is a different thing. I used that service yesterday at the same time as a Bookbub. I'll probably use it again in the future. I feel like ORM might reach people I can't otherwise.

For Nook First Look, I can set up preorders with them, and I usually have a preorder lead time where the book is ready to go and I'm just lining up other things. This sounds like something I can commit to, and it might be interesting to see if it works.

So that had nothing at all to do with B&N or the Nook first look thing? 

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 07:15:37 AM »
So that had nothing at all to do with B&N or the Nook first look thing?

Nope. What B&N was offering was a chance to use Open Road Media's promotional engine, at a 10% discount. Since it was the first time I'd ever seen a way into ORM--they're a backlist publisher, primarily--I followed up on it. But it has nothing to do with B&N in any direct sense.