Author Topic: BookBub and the Free 100  (Read 914 times)  

Offline PiscaPress

• View Profile
    • Piscataqua Press
BookBub and the Free 100
« on: August 12, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »
I know I should have realized this sooner, but are the top 20 free Kindle books each day just the BookBub books?

I have a free promo started yesterday: 2000 downloads yesterday, 2000 today. tomorrow is BookBub. Right now the book is sitting at #48 (It's called The Wideness of the Sea)

Guidelines lead me to believe the book will get at least 20,000 downloads with the BookBub over the next two days.

Given those numbers, it seems logical that everything in the top 20 everyday is there because of BookBub.

which makes me wonder, when does Amazon buy BookBub?
very very very small publisher
PiscaPress

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
Re: BookBub and the Free 100
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
My book got to #15 earlier this week in the US store without any promo from me. I think I retweeted a tweet and told my FB followers, that's it. It got picked up by various websites without me notifying them. It was the first time it has been free and has sold well during it's paid lifetime, so that put it on the radar of those sites. So yes, it's definitely possible to get into the top 20 without the magic of Bookbub. Books by popular authors in more popular genres than mine should get into the top 10 without Bookbubs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:02:14 PM by CJArcher »
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »

Amazon would be stupid to do so, though that's not to say they wouldn't. They'd either have to continue advertising their competitors' books (Apple, etc.) or tick off half their subscribers, making the property immediately less valuable--unless, of course, their goal is simply to kill it off. But BB drives a lot of traffic to Amazon, which over time converts into market share and money--so it would seem like shooting themselves in the foot, IMO.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline PiscaPress

• View Profile
    • Piscataqua Press
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
Amazon would be stupid to do so, though that's not to say they wouldn't. They'd either have to continue advertising their competitors' books (Apple, etc.) or tick off half their subscribers, making the property immediately less valuable--unless, of course, their goal is simply to kill it off. But BB drives a lot of traffic to Amazon, which over time converts into market share and money--so it would seem like shooting themselves in the foot, IMO.

They bought ABE books, and Goodreads, they distribute Lightning Source and Ingram Spark books. I think they take a bigger picture view. They seem to admire, and acquire, category killers, and BookBub is certainly that, Their promo will likely beat ENT and Freebooksy rolled together, by a factor of 10.
PiscaPress

Offline hunterone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »
I know I should have realized this sooner, but are the top 20 free Kindle books each day just the BookBub books?

I have a free promo started yesterday: 2000 downloads yesterday, 2000 today. tomorrow is BookBub. Right now the book is sitting at #48 (It's called The Wideness of the Sea)

Guidelines lead me to believe the book will get at least 20,000 downloads with the BookBub over the next two days.

Given those numbers, it seems logical that everything in the top 20 everyday is there because of BookBub.

My free book did really well with BookBub. I ended up with over 60,000 in downloads within 2 days. Highest sales were in that month too as people went on to purchase more books in the series. Was worth every cent.

Offline PiscaPress

• View Profile
    • Piscataqua Press
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »
My free book did really well with BookBub. I ended up with over 60,000 in downloads within 2 days. Highest sales were in that month too as people went on to purchase more books in the series. Was worth every cent.

Well yes, that's the point of the question: Can you get into the top 20 free list WITHOUT a BookBub? I'd love more success stories.
PiscaPress

Offline PiscaPress

• View Profile
    • Piscataqua Press
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »
Meanwhile, The Wideness of the Sea just hit #1 in free books, so I am definitely NOT complaining, just always looking for ways to succeed WITHOUT BookBub.
PiscaPress

Offline PiscaPress

• View Profile
    • Piscataqua Press
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
Not sure anyone is following this, but first day results showed the top 12 positions in the Kindle Free store are from BookBub. Our book is holding number one, likely because we front stacked it with Freebooksy and ENT.

We'll see what happens tomorrow when a new round of Bookbub comes out.
PiscaPress

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »
I think Amazon would have bought BookBub already if they were going to, but I wouldn't see that purchase as stupid. After Amazon bought Goodreads, they still list all the other store links (though the Amazon links may be a bit more prominent than they used to be). I think they only have an Amazon link on imdb, but they list all movies and TV shows, not just the ones they have a financial interest in.

Amazon gets over 80% of US ebook sales already. If it owned Bookbub, nothing would change--except that Amazon would be getting all that ad revenue, which must be considerable.

What might change would be the way BookBub handles trad pubbed works. They've been getting a bigger share of the ads. I could see Amazon shifting the emphasis back a little more toward self-published works--and their own imprints. They'd still be vetted for quality, of course. Amazon wouldn't want to lose subscribers. But among high-quality works, Amazon could give preference to their own works without it even being obvious.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Picky Android

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 08:33:25 AM »
I think Amazon would have bought BookBub already if they were going to, but I wouldn't see that purchase as stupid. After Amazon bought Goodreads, they still list all the other store links (though the Amazon links may be a bit more prominent than they used to be). I think they only have an Amazon link on imdb, but they list all movies and TV shows, not just the ones they have a financial interest in.

Amazon gets over 80% of US ebook sales already. If it owned Bookbub, nothing would change--except that Amazon would be getting all that ad revenue, which must be considerable.

What might change would be the way BookBub handles trad pubbed works. They've been getting a bigger share of the ads. I could see Amazon shifting the emphasis back a little more toward self-published works--and their own imprints. They'd still be vetted for quality, of course. Amazon wouldn't want to lose subscribers. But among high-quality works, Amazon could give preference to their own works without it even being obvious.

Hello Bill, (anyone can answer as I am new)

I was following up on this BookBub thing.  Not sure how they work ... signed up and already have what looks like a good book for free ...

Do you pay to advertise there, or do they pick up deals they see from the 5 retailers they list and respond to those that subscribe to the sire if you are I their genre? 

New author here ... just curious.  I know another new author who is running $10k a year rate on one book he says ... but he has invested $6k to sort of get that $10k net $4k. 

Why do this I would ask?  But it is a quantum dilemma as he has no idea what sales would be without the advertising. 

You seem to have been around the hood so to speak. 

Go straight Amazon or loop in BookBub too?   

I will be Select and I see no problem promoting with BookBub at the same time as long as it is free or cheap as you are not competing with Amazon Select sells and activity ... schedule a promo kind of thing ...

Thanks, looking for more detail ...

Online Nathan Elliott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »

Hello Bill, (anyone can answer as I am new)

I was following up on this BookBub thing.  Not sure how they work ... signed up and already have what looks like a good book for free ...

Do you pay to advertise there, or do they pick up deals they see from the 5 retailers they list and respond to those that subscribe to the sire if you are I their genre? 

New author here ... just curious.  I know another new author who is running $10k a year rate on one book he says ... but he has invested $6k to sort of get that $10k net $4k. 

Why do this I would ask?  But it is a quantum dilemma as he has no idea what sales would be without the advertising. 

You seem to have been around the hood so to speak. 

Go straight Amazon or loop in BookBub too?   

I will be Select and I see no problem promoting with BookBub at the same time as long as it is free or cheap as you are not competing with Amazon Select sells and activity ... schedule a promo kind of thing ...

Thanks, looking for more detail ...

Just visit bookbub.com/home and scroll to the bottom.  Look for the links in the "PUBLISHERS & AUTHORS" section.  That has pricing info (yes, you do need to pay) and probably everything else you'd need to know.  BB is expensive, almost always worth it, and selective (a brand new book by a new author isn't likely to be accepted until some number of positive reviews and sales have accrued).

Offline Picky Android

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »
Just visit bookbub.com/home and scroll to the bottom.  Look for the links in the "PUBLISHERS & AUTHORS" section.  That has pricing info (yes, you do need to pay) and probably everything else you'd need to know.  BB is expensive, almost always worth it, and selective (a brand new book by a new author isn't likely to be accepted until some number of positive reviews and sales have accrued).

Thanks ... oh yeah, the fine print at the bottom :)   

Ahhh --- so this is part of peoples plan to going wide being thrown around here .... This is not for the new author for sure ... or for one who's sells are slow I would think.