Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Cases are worth it  (Read 544 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
Cases are worth it
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »
Maybe it's because I'm sometimes very clumsy, but I've always put protective cases of some sort on my cell phones. I don't understand those people who walk around with naked phones.

Tonight I dropped my iPhone two feet onto a tiled floor, and it survived without a scratch. The case has a large crack in the hard shell, and is a total loss since it won't fit together any more, which is a shame because it has an auxiliary battery in it. I could get through a day of heavy use with the extra power. Now I'm back using my OtterBox, as I will probably get a new phone in the next two months and there's no point in spending money for a new battery case right now.

I recommend cases.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:36:49 AM by Mike D. aka jmiked »
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
Re: Cases are worth it
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Agree.  I have kept a case on everyone of my iphones and I've had a lot of them.  I'm not prone to drop my things but you never know when it might happen. I keep my other devices in a case as well.  Darn things cost too much to take a risk.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:25:53 PM »
I always put the thinnest and lightest possible case on my iPhone. I mostly want them for grippability rather than for protection. I find that matte black cases made by Spigen are inexpensive and nicely holdable, unlike the slicker than snot surface of an iPhone. I'm getting my iphones through the "iPhone Upgrade Program" installment plan, and it includes AppleCare for a not-too expensive replacement. In over twenty years of carrying a phone or one of the old Palm PDAs that was used similarly to the phone, I've only broken one. I experimented with carrying my iPhone 7 Plus in an Otterbox, and it was just too bulky. Also as long as I am on the Apple plan, I'll be getting a new phone about every twelve months, and an expensive case such as an Otterbox that I'd use for a year (with no resale value) is a significant addition to the cost of a new phone.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
Incidentally, another reason to have a thin case is to hold the exposed glass of the camera lens off of whatever I set the phone in/on. Not all slender cases do this, you have to check!

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »
Being an old guy with a distinct touch of arthritis, I find a thin phone hard to hold. I'm much more comfortable with a case that is thicker. I went back to my OtterBox Commuter. It's about 12mm thick, and offers very good protection. Since I'm a hiker/bicycler/geocacher, I like the additional security. I've had a previous phone fall off my bicycle while zooming down a rocky dirt trail, and it survived without a scratch (yes, I did come up with a more secure way of fastening it to my bike).

I also use a slightly matte screen protector (I hate reflections). In my previous biking incident, the screen protector had a nasty gouge in it, but the screen itself was unharmed.

The OtterBox wasn't all that expensive, I think it was $20.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline William G. Jones

• View Profile
    • Random Thoughts from the Passenger Seat
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 03:48:28 PM »
I've only had the Apple leather case on my 5S and I'm amazed at some of the drops it has survived.
VISIT ME ONLINE | http://www.williamgjones.com
DRIVING TO BELAIR: A NOVELLA
Available for Kindle | Preview on Kindleboards

"I laughed and cried, became frustrated, annoyed and completely and wonderfully engaged... if you don't read Driving to BelAir you are missing one really great road trip." - Pam Bainbridge-Cowan

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac