Author Topic: In-Chapter Illustration Size  (Read 192 times)  

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
In-Chapter Illustration Size
« on: August 12, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »
As some of you recall, I have a practice of doing one illustration per every chapter in my current work. The question I have is: what would be a good size for each illustration? Each picture has a lot of detail, and I'm gunning for CS's 5 x 8 size pages, but am open to larger sizes. How big (or small) should they be? Full page? Half page? Smaller?

For reference, here are two such illustrations:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:36:00 PM by Kal241 »
An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline shimmering

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
Re: In-Chapter Illustration Size
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »
I'd put them in at full page size if I were you. I mean with no text on the page. I'm not sure they look the right dimensions to have full bleed, but if they are, then I would also consider that.

Offline Tim C. Taylor

• Bromham, England
  • author & publisher
    • View Profile
    • Human Legion
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 03:30:44 AM »
They look great. I've done a few books like this and I think you have plenty of detail there. I suggest you center the image on an even numbered (verso) page and put the chapter header and then the chapter text on the odd/ recto page. So when you open up the paperback, the image is always on the left. In Word, you can set this with a section break before the image and setting the section with the image to be of type 'even page' (that way, Word will insert a blank page if it needs to in order to force the image to be on the even-numbered page).  If the image at 300dpi keeps within the margins, then all is good and well. If it overlaps, then if I were doing this (which means I would use Word) then I'd simply resize the image within Word until it fits inside the margins, while maintaining aspect ratio. That will increase the dpi to whatever it needs to be.  Good luck.

Bestselling author of military science fiction and space opera
Tim C. Taylor | The Human Legion | Personal Homepage | Greyhart Press

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:36:02 AM »
I would do full page size and do full bleed to the edge if you can, no text, page numbers, etc.  the same way light novels are done and its usually the way I've seen other illustrated novels done.

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys! Seems like full page is the right idea.
An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.