Author Topic: Going wide with a book already on Amazon.  (Read 629 times)  

Offline ClaudiaStone

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads Page
Going wide with a book already on Amazon.
« on: August 13, 2017, 04:38:25 AM »
I've decided to take one of my books wide. It's had a massive overhaul, editing/length wise, and I'm hoping it will sell well. Page reads have dried up on Amazon, so there's no point in staying exclusive to KU.

I've looked at Pronoun for publishing it, and they seem the best. Their interface is way more accessible than StreetLib, which I found super confusing. Also (correct me if I'm wrong, they offer 70% on books less than $2.99).

I've decided on a $1.99 price point for the book, and so would prefer to sell with Pronoun than Amazon, as I'd get more back from the sales. If I unpublish my book with Zon, and republish it with Pronoun, will it lose all its reviews/rankings/alsobots etc? It's also part of a series (the last two books being in KU) and will it still link up with these?

Thanks in advance, if anyone has any wisdom/light to shed on this I'm most grateful to hear it! ;D
Author of the Regency Black-Hearts Series.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
Re: Going wide with a book already on Amazon.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:52:58 AM »
I'm a little confused, but that's not difficult. Firstly, you cannot go wide with your books until your subscription in select has expired. Once that has happened, you can go where you like, but why take your book off Amazon first? Surely you can go through Pronoun and they will, like D2D, put your books on all the outlets you select?

If you take the book off Amazon and post it again via Pronoun or anyone else, I would think you would lose your reviews. It is also unlikely that your first in series would be linked. As to the royalty, they likely do give 70%, but whether that applies to Amazon as well, it seems doubtful. D2D gives 60% for all outlets but they don't cover Amazon. At least I don't think they do and that is probably the reason.

I'm not sure if that uneducated opinion is of any help, but it is how I see it. I read a post on here once from someone who was having trouble getting Amazon to show the books he had published with pronoun along with the ones he'd just published on Amazon.

As I said, this is an uneducated opinion but I wouldn't have thought it was worth removing your book from Amazon just for the sake of a higher percentage of royalties on a $2.99 price.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Comic Covers

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 05:07:33 AM »
As doglover has stated.

1) leave your book in Amazon (why would you not?)
2) publish it in Pronoun and D2D and/or Streetlib, or wherever you want
3) Exclude Amazon from the options to publish via these sources.
4) Sit back, relax, and see how things perform, just don't expect immediate gratification - it takes months to get your books out there.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline ClaudiaStone

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads Page
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:12:11 AM »
I'm a little confused, but that's not difficult.

:D

No it was me! I think you're right, and I should just stay in Amazon. It's not worth losing reviews and links etc for the sake of going all in with Pronoun. I might just stick to the $2.99 price point, but I'm a little afraid of Google Play books, their pricing is so odd.

Thanks!
Author of the Regency Black-Hearts Series.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 05:48:21 AM »
You can move a book to Pronoun and keep your Amazon reviews. If it doesn't happen automatically, you just need to email Amazon and give them the old ASIN and the new one. And they do pay 70% for those books that are sold in the U.S. (and I think Canadian?) stores for Amazon.

They won't be able to link your books as a series, though.  That is accurate.

And I believe if you use Pronoun to get on Google Play you don't have to deal with them dropping your prices on you.

There's a long thread about Pronoun on here. Might be worth reading.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:43 AM »
And I believe if you use Pronoun to get on Google Play you don't have to deal with them dropping your prices on you.

That only applies to books in the US. GooglePlay will still drop prices in other countries and Amazon will price match. There is no way to exclude the other countries and only sell the books on GooglePlay in the US. To date, I haven't found a solution where it's possible to list books on GooglePlay without them discounting, and I've tried being direct and using Pronoun.

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 08:35:07 AM »
That only applies to books in the US. GooglePlay will still drop prices in other countries and Amazon will price match. There is no way to exclude the other countries and only sell the books on GooglePlay in the US. To date, I haven't found a solution where it's possible to list books on GooglePlay without them discounting, and I've tried being direct and using Pronoun.

The only way I know to make Google Play's discounting a non-factor is to price higher in anticipation of the discount.

There's a Google Play thread around here that gives suggestions on what that pricing should be.

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »

As I said, this is an uneducated opinion but I wouldn't have thought it was worth removing your book from Amazon just for the sake of a higher percentage of royalties on a $2.99 price.

Certainly it's worth removing & republishing for higher royalties. It isn't worth giving Amazon such a large slice of your royalties when you are no longer enjoying any visibility from your relationship with them. I understood the question to be about $1.99 books, where the games Google Play does with foreign stores doesn't come into play & the difference in royalty is significant.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:59:40 AM by ParkerAvrile »
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 08:57:55 AM »
The only way I know to make Google Play's discounting a non-factor is to price higher in anticipation of the discount.

We tried that, but they kept adjusting their discount percentage, which set off the Amazon price matching bots. We had to monitor it everyday just to keep it aligned. When I found 100% of one of our books readable through their previewer we gave up. I can't work out whether their systems are just a bit nuts, or they actively try to discourage indies from publishing. It just got too hard, but we'll probably try again later.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
You will need to ask the support staff at Pronoun to request Amazon to link up the new edition with the old reviews.

I may have been lucky or they may have changed their policy in the last six months, but I was able to contact Amazon through Author Central and get them to link my old and new versions.  I did have to go through Pronoun to get a series page, though, and that was this month, but they responded quickly and had a series page up for me within a few days.

There's a Google Play thread around here that gives suggestions on what that pricing should be.

I'm direct with Google and that's what I do.  It's TK's Google Play Uber Post that I use as my source of what to price at, although I'll admit I don't bother going back and seeing if they've dropped the price below those parameters.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline Reveries

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »
The problem with Pronoun for me is they pay a much lower royalty rate for UK and Europe sales. Obviously that's less of an issue if you don't have many sales outside the USA.

I go direct to Amazon, but sell on Google Play via Streetlib. They adjust the price upwards for Google Play to allow for the discounting issue but I put books up with a significantly higher price there as well to make sure it doesn't cause issues with Amazon price matching.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 09:11:16 AM »
The problem with Pronoun for me is they pay a much lower royalty rate for UK and Europe sales. Obviously that's less of an issue if you don't have many sales outside the USA.

I go direct to Amazon, but sell on Google Play via Streetlib. They adjust the price upwards for Google Play to allow for the discounting issue but I put books up with a significantly higher price there as well to make sure it doesn't cause issues with Amazon price matching.

Pronoun's lower percentage for any country outside the US is a big issue for us. It will stop us from using them extensively.

As for pricing significantly higher on GooglePlay, I read Amazon take exception to higher prices as well. Is that not true?

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
The problem with all of these platforms is they all have rules about higher/lower pricing and they don't give you a choice about setting different prices on different platforms without somehow penalising you for it if you don't give them the advantage. A transparent system is all well and good, but it works against you mostly. Googleplay appear to like you to price high so they can discount. Amazon will automatically price match and visi versi. It becomes a nightmare and I'm sure we suffer from their algorithms more than we realise.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Reveries

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »
As for pricing significantly higher on GooglePlay, I read Amazon take exception to higher prices as well. Is that not true?

I haven't had any problems so far. By the time I've adjusted the price upwards, Streetlib have adjusted it upwards again, and Google Play have done their discount it comes out at a higher price but not vastly so. Obviously it's impossible to get the price exactly the same.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
I haven't had any problems so far. By the time I've adjusted the price upwards, Streetlib have adjusted it upwards again, and Google Play have done their discount it comes out at a higher price but not vastly so. Obviously it's impossible to get the price exactly the same.

Thanks. We tried going through StreetLib six months ago and couldn't get it working. I can't remember what the problem was now, but we could try again.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
Certainly it's worth removing & republishing for higher royalties. It isn't worth giving Amazon such a large slice of your royalties when you are no longer enjoying any visibility from your relationship with them. I understood the question to be about $1.99 books, where the games Google Play does with foreign stores doesn't come into play & the difference in royalty is significant.

Well, I did say it was an uneducated opinion.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Comic Covers