Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: What!?  (Read 1686 times)  

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
What!?
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:59:01 AM »
Just spotted this on one of my books. Amazon hasn't contacted me about it. Only change was enrolling it in KU this morning.

Item Under Review
This book is currently unavailable because there are significant quality issues with the source file supplied by the publisher.

The publisher has been notified and we will make the book available as soon as we receive a corrected file. As always, we value customer feedback.

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: What!?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 07:22:52 AM »
Just spotted this on one of my books. Amazon hasn't contacted me about it. Only change was enrolling it in KU this morning.

Item Under Review
This book is currently unavailable because there are significant quality issues with the source file supplied by the publisher.

The publisher has been notified and we will make the book available as soon as we receive a corrected file. As always, we value customer feedback.
Someone reported it for something. Amazon should contact you about it. If you haven't gotten an email, ask customer service for clarification.

I don't think it has anything to do with the KU enrollment.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
Thanks. I had guessed it might be something like that. As I haven't changed the file in ages and have had positive reviews in that time, I doubt it was corrupt. The US vs British thing often rears its head, so that's a good possibility.
My thought about the KU thing was that it was being reviewed for that and for some reason the wrong 'under review' was triggered.

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »
They've got back to me. Seems it was due to typos and junk characters. A well-established thing in my series is that when sentients communicate by speech it is shown as "Hello" but when they use thought transmitted by brain-implants it is shown as ^Hello^. The ^ were flagged as junk characters.
This has been true in my books for well over a year, and in this particular book for about 6 months. Anyone reading it would know it wasn't an accident, so I doubt it was reported. So, I'm still guessing that the KU enrollment triggered some new scan and this tripped it.

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 08:42:56 AM »
That is assuming they reactivate it.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »
Hope it's back on sale by now.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »
Got the following back. It still has the review notice on the product page, but hopefully that's just the update working its way through the servers.

Hello Alasdair,
I hope you're doing well. I will gently take a look into this for you.
Thank you for providing the information we requested. Your book will stay live and available for sale with no further action required.
I've taken care of notifying the quality team about the intention of having those characters to represent dialogue between your technologically advanced characters.
I now wish you a lovely week!

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
Got the following back. It still has the review notice on the product page, but hopefully that's just the update working its way through the servers.

Hello Alasdair,
I hope you're doing well. I will gently take a look into this for you.
Thank you for providing the information we requested. Your book will stay live and available for sale with no further action required.
I've taken care of notifying the quality team about the intention of having those characters to represent dialogue between your technologically advanced characters.
I now wish you a lovely week!

At least he'll be gentle, so there's that.

Offline Picky Cat Proofreading

• Texas
  • Proofreading and copyediting for fiction authors
    • View Profile
    • Picky Cat Proofreading & Copyediting
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 09:29:16 PM »
He'll gently look into it?  :o

Wonder what happens when they get rough.  :P
Picky Cat Proofreading & Copyediting
Affordable proofreading and copyediting for novels, novellas, and short stories, with three levels of service to make sure you get the attention you need.

My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 01:25:15 AM »
The book's still blocked, so I've fired off another message to see if they can press the 'quality team' further.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 01:38:29 AM »
Did you tell them to press roughly this time?

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Books by A. Woodley
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 08:01:50 AM »
They may be doing it gently but on the plus side, at least you got an actual reply to the actual problem & not some stock reply that has no bearing on the question.
Be sure to ask them gently to correct it :)

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
That must be so frustrating!  It's also ridiculous.  I'm sure I've read other books with weird characters to indicate, say, telepathic communication.  What is all the fuss about?  Readers are smart enough to figure things out as long as you're consistent with the symbols. 

I hope you get this sorted out quickly.

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »
That must be so frustrating!  It's also ridiculous.  I'm sure I've read other books with weird characters to indicate, say, telepathic communication.  What is all the fuss about?  Readers are smart enough to figure things out as long as you're consistent with the symbols. 

I hope you get this sorted out quickly.

The problem may be the symbol itself. That symbol (and a few others) can sometimes screw up certain codes. We actually had an issue at my workplace where a salesperson would add that symbol to the name of xls files in quotes (example: aug2017^Nameofcustomer^productSKU.xls) The ^ caused the file to become corrupted when uploaded to our shared network so that it couldn't be opened. IT had to tell her to stop using the special character.

If there was a recent update to the mobi format, it could be causing issues that previously didn't exist.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 08:22:49 AM »
The book became available at some point in the last few hours. Only lost about 1000 places in its sub-category!

Online Saboth

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
"I've taken care of notifying the quality team about the intention of having those characters to represent dialogue between your technologically advanced characters."

I find that statement strange. So they can analyze characters, figure out this book has a special use for certain characters, contact a team of people and let them know it's okay for this one specific book or author, but Amazon can't do anything about fake books, scams, farms etc.

Online TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
... Amazon can't do anything about fake books, scams, farms etc.

They're gently looking into those problems.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter