Author Topic: Series Branding Debate  (Read 454 times)  

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
Series Branding Debate
« on: August 13, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
I'm looking for feedback on how to progress with my title and cover/font as I'm going back and forth between a couple of options for my trilogy.

As you can see from my signature, my first book is The Torchbearer, written in flame.  Prior to the first title/cover being completed, my thoughts for the sequel for to title it Cave of Bones, with the mouth of a cave being the main photo.  Then I questioned that approach, wondering if I should keep the series names more similar, and thought to go with The Torchbearer's Trick.  Doing that, I have no idea what to use for a photo but I could agonize my way to a selection, if I must :).

In looking at other series, it seems to go both ways.  Titles don't match closely, but the cover styles do.  Others use a themed title that barely changes over the series.

Would general opinion be that making the titles closely match is important?  Or is it fine to go with my preference of different titles and call it Cave of Bones?  If so, would Cave of Bones in the flame font look strange?

I appreciate the feedback!  There's always great help to be had here and it's a lifesaver.

Jason

J.D.Matheny | Kindle Scout | Facebook |Website

Offline jesrphoto

• Buffalo, NY
  • Jes Richardson
    • View Profile
    • CoverBistro.com
Re: Series Branding Debate
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »
You could keep the same font and use a different stand out texture for the font to keep the series look. A bright glow around a dark title, like light peaking through from behind a rock maybe?  It'd depend on the cave image you chose.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »
You could keep the same font and use a different stand out texture for the font to keep the series look. A bright glow around a dark title, like light peaking through from behind a rock maybe?  It'd depend on the cave image you chose.

Good suggestion, thanks :) . Sounds like you don't feel like it's super important to use Torchbearer in each title?  Torchbearer - Torchbearer's Trick - Torchbearer's Son, etc.  That's what I was hoping to hear because I'm kind of attached to Cave of Bones lol

Offline jesrphoto

• Buffalo, NY
  • Jes Richardson
    • View Profile
    • CoverBistro.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
No, you have a series title so it's definitely not necessary :)
As long as they're the same font, same layout, and with that series title - people will recognize the branding

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »
I think 'Cave of Bones' in a similar font/color scheme will be fine.  The most striking part of your cover, to me, is the image.  If you can find an equally mysterious pic of a cave for the sequel, I think it will look well branded and appealing.   :)

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
I'd use cave image and keep same font. As long as general cover feel is very similar, you could change the text effect from fire to stone.

Otherwise, here are some different ways cover series can be branded, give this a read:
http://www.rockingbookcovers.com/book-cover-design/different-ways-to-brand-book-covers-for-series/

And trust your designer at the end, he/she will try their best to make the right call too.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »
Great feedback from everybody, as usual :)

Thanks for the responses!

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
Good luck, first cover looks solid, so a good start.