Kindle Oasis
KB Featured Book
Lord of the Rings
by J.R.R. Tolkein

$
Kindle Edition published 2009-04-17
Bestseller ranking: 786

Product Description

All three parts of the epic masterpiece combined in one definitive edition of the text.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power - the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring - the ring that rules them all - which has fallen into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as the Ring is entrusted to his care. He must leave his home and make a perilous journey across the realms of Middle-earth to the Crack of Doom, deep inside the territories of the Dark Lord. There he must destroy the Ring forever and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose. Since it was first published in 1954, The Lord of the Rings has been a book people have treasured. Steeped in unrivalled magic and otherworldliness, its sweeping fantasy has touched the hearts of young and old alike.

Author Topic: Five 80,000 word novels in a week  (Read 10946 times)  

Offline MladenR

• Ecopark, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
  • Founder of http://www.writertowriters.com
    • View Profile
    • Writer To Writers
Re: Five 80,000 word novels in a week
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 01:26:17 AM »
He employs ghostwriters?

Yeah, he mainly writes 80 page outlines and has dozen writers who take his outlines and rite actual novels.

Offline Yayoi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 02:15:29 AM »
I think it's possible if he is working 18 hour days 7 days a week. I read about an author who wrote a 50,000 word novel every day for 30 days a while ago.

Wow, that's amazing because my first book isn't even finished yet and I started it August of last year. :(

Offline Bright Write

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 08:25:24 AM »
Wow that's simply incredible. I'd place a year's income on a bet that this mythical author rides unicorns and visits alien planets on weekends; just to relax after finishing off those marvelous 5 x 80,000 word novels during the week. He/she probably also sells swampland in Florida at special discount prices ;)
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken" Oscar Wilde

Offline Sebastiene

• View Profile
    • Sebastiene Elston - author site
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
Come November, go look around Nanowrimo.org until you find the million word people. I'm NaNo friends with one of them. My author bio is maybe 80 words? Her bio is something like 3,000 words.

All you really need is one obsessed teenager (male or female) and the sheer amount of words they can turn out is staggering. They have a rough idea of novel-form and GO.

There are people writing worse stuff on Amazon who take a lot longer to finish. Passion can make up for a lot, but not everything.

Hypergraphia is another possibility. I have a copy of the most recent big book about it. It... needs to be edited down, TBH.

I can't do it, but I wouldn't automatically assume they're lying.

Sebastiene Elston | Sebastiene.com | Facebook | Twitter |

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »
All work no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work no play makes Jack a dull boy...

Offline hopecartercan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
All work no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work no play makes Jack a dull boy...
;D

Yep...that's the only way I'd be able to do it. Good one, Steve.

Offline EvanPickering

• View Profile
    • The Apocalypse Wouldn't Be A Good Time To Write, So Let's Do It Now.
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2017, 03:20:21 PM »
80K words a week is a lot but it's doable. I do it all the time, but of course my narratives aren't worth a damn. The OP was talking about much more than that.

Damn, I mean, maybe I just can't be that prolific. I didn't mean to disparage anyone's narratives I'm sure yours are awesome Amanda, I guess I'm more just flabbergasted I don't know how I could ever do that. I mean maybe once if I was the most inspired I've ever been in my life lol, but I don't know if could do it repeatedly.

A Legend Is Reborn In The American Apocalypse.
Evan Pickering | Post-Apoc Writing Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline michisjourdi

• Missouri
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Blog
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »
I'm less curious about how it's possible, and more curious about how high quality the writing is. While I know that quality and entertainment can be subjective, if the first thing someone told me is that they wrote their 80,000 word book in a week, my first thought is not going to be, "Wow, I bet that's a great book." Sorry if I sound pessimistic.  :-X

Personally, my word count doesn't get much better than around 4,000 a day. And that's on a good day. Fortunately, I write for kids, so it doesn't take me too long to finish a first draft.

Teddy O'Malley | Teddy's Thoughts

Offline michisjourdi

• Missouri
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Blog
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »
I just did a little math for anyone who might be interested.

If you wanted to write one 80,000 word novel a week, you would need to write:
11,428 words a day
476 words an hour
8 words a minute

But this author writes five 80,000 word novels in a week. So, 400,000 words a week.

To write like this author, you'll need to write:
57,142 per day
2,380 per hour
40 words per minute

Oh, and that is only if you don't take breaks.

Teddy O'Malley | Teddy's Thoughts

Offline Nic

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »
I'm less curious about how it's possible, and more curious about how high quality the writing is. While I know that quality and entertainment can be subjective, if the first thing someone told me is that they wrote their 80,000 word book in a week, my first thought is not going to be, "Wow, I bet that's a great book." Sorry if I sound pessimistic.  :-X

Doubting the quality of such fast writing is sacrilege on this board ;) Even if you've read some of these "instant ebooks" and found them sorely wanting, it still is blasphemy to point at the naked emperor.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2017, 11:09:54 PM »
I don't know why I didn't think to ask before, but is this something he does or something he did?
Cause there's a big difference between 'you wouldn't believe what I did one week when...' and 'this is my norm.'

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2017, 06:45:47 AM »
Question for those of you can type 3000 words (ish) per hour:

Are you an all-fingers-using touch typer? Do you use a mechanical keyboard, or any special equipment/techniques?

Just curious. I never managed to get past the two-finger typing method, although I can do it without looking at the keyboard. I took a quick typing speed test and managed to hit 88 words in 60 seconds, with three errors - faster than I expected, but I'm sure my hourly rate would be pretty low with fatigue, correcting typos, etc. I've never actually timed my hourly output, but wondering if I should give touch typing another crack at some point.

There are websites, such at TypingTest.com, that can measure your typing speed. Keep in mind, this is a copy writing test where you are typing out copy that you are reading. The speed you type when copy writing is going to be different from when you are outputting narrative. Your creative writing/stream of consciousness writing speed may be faster than your copy writing speed, and those speeds will be different from the cat-sitting-on-my-arm typing speed.

I know in bursts, i can exceed 110 words per minute. My norm falls mainly between 50--60 words per minute at best when I'm in flow.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2017, 07:14:56 AM »
When I first came up with the idea for Aggadeh Chronicles, I wrote the notes for it in about three weeks. The notes totaled about 180,000 words, give or take a few K. During that period I was averaging about 8--9 thousand words per each day.

That was a very furious and intense writing period. It was all stream-of-consciousness writing and I wasn't giving a damn about mistakes or incongruities. It wasn't even the narrative of the story itself. It was descriptions and thoughts about the world and locations in the world of the Aggadeh Empire. It wasn't in one large document, either. It was a series of different documents covering one topic or another. There is a lot of apocryphal stuff in it that will never make it into the main story. There are things I wrote tomes about that barely make a mention in the story.

In the "real" world (ironic, isn't it?), I am more of a hybrid pantser/plotter as a writer when writing narrative prose. I tend to ponder a lot before I actually commit words to the manuscript. So I have long bouts of inactivity punctuated with short periods of of intense writing. However, when I get into flow, the writing continues at a fast pace for hours at a time.  So I am much slower than the above-mentioned episode when it comes to actually writing a novel. Attempts to just go with the flow and steam-of-consciousness the writing of my manuscripts just don't really work all that well.

On all that, I think it is entirely possible that someone could pull off a 50K--80K week. While I don't expect to see a finished novel come out of that, a functional manuscript is entirely possible.

Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
On all that, I think it is entirely possible that someone could pull off a 50K--80K week. While I don't expect to see a finished novel come out of that, a functional manuscript is entirely possible.

Ok, now multiply that by 5, cause the topic is 5 80k novels a week.

Offline WHDean

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2017, 09:15:59 AM »
That's BS. You can leave aside the question of whether anyone could come up with a story that fast and just look at the time involved in putting it on paper. The average typist's speed is around 40 words per minute. An 80,000-word novel would take over 33 hours to type at that speed. Five 80,000-word books would take 165 out of the 168 hours available in 7 days. All the amphetamines you could handle won't give you that kind of stamina.

Even at 60 words a minute, it would take over 22 hours to type 80,000 words. At 80 words a minute, which is double the average typist's speed, it would take over 16 hours to type out one of those books. The fastest typist ever recorded reached (= topped out at but didn't maintain) 216 words per minute. Even if you could maintain the rate that the fastest typist ever reached, it would still take you 6 hours to write 80,000 words.

And has anyone in the world ever typed 40 words a minute for more than 1 hour straight, let alone for 33 hours straight? Your wrists wouldn't let you. An adult diaper might keep you from the bathroom, but no one can eat and type at the same time, even with someone feeding them.

We also need to account for accuracy. The average accuracy rate is around 92%, leaving around 6,400 typos to correct after working for somewhere between 16 and 33 hours straight with no breaks. I know readers have different tolerance levels for errors. But who would put up with reading anything close to 6,400 typos, which is 8 out of every 100 words for 80,000 words?

Dictation doesn't help. It takes about 8 hours to read a finished 80,000 word book aloud. Even if you could compose a story at the speed of reading (yeah, right!), no dictation software in the world turns out perfect copy, leaving hours of editing still to do. The current error rate is supposed to be around 7%, but anyone who uses speech recognition can attest that it's generally higher. Even if it were 5%, you'd still have 4,000 errors to fix, 1 in 20 words.

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »
I type a solid 80 words a minute on a regular basis. Of course, I used to work as a reporter and honed my skill. I write fast but could never write five books in a week. As for wrist issues, I have supports and never have an issue. I only do about 12K a day in six hours, though. I also take frequent breaks.

Amanda M. Lee

Online Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
Oh, and just to add, a lot of people can dictate 4K to 8K an hour. It's not all about typing.

Amanda M. Lee

Online dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
I type a solid 80 words a minute on a regular basis. Of course, I used to work as a reporter and honed my skill. I write fast but could never write five books in a week. As for wrist issues, I have supports and never have an issue. I only do about 12K a day in six hours, though. I also take frequent breaks.

What supports do you use for your wrists? I have carpel tunnel and the ones I'm currently using are okay but not perfect. I've tried dictation but I keep having to stop and correct every typo and it makes me slower than typing.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Online Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
What supports do you use for your wrists? I have carpel tunnel and the ones I'm currently using are okay but not perfect. I've tried dictation but I keep having to stop and correct every typo and it makes me slower than typing.
I got these gel pad things from Amazon that reset right on the corners of the computer. I have a Mac and the edge of the computer was cutting into my wrists before hand. The gel pads worked like a dream and they were only like $8.

Amanda M. Lee

Online dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »
I got these gel pad things from Amazon that reset right on the corners of the computer. I have a Mac and the edge of the computer was cutting into my wrists before hand. The gel pads worked like a dream and they were only like $8.

I never tried gel pads for support. I think my husband has one I can steal to try out.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »
I'm not saying the author in question is lying. Nor am I saying she's telling the truth.

But ultimately, seeing is believing. Had Roger Bannister posted on Facebook in 1954 that he had ran a 4-minute mile, I'd have been skeptical.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Online StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Brennan.ca
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
Yeah, maybe if they're like copy and pasting paragraphs together. Got a folder labelled "Beginnings", a folder labelled "Endings", and another labelled "Sh*% Happens."

Call me skeptical.

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2017, 11:12:12 AM »
...he had ran a 4-minute mile...

"he had run" or "he ran"

Offline WHDean

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »
Oh, and just to add, a lot of people can dictate 4K to 8K an hour. It's not all about typing.

It would take you 7 six-hour days to write an 80k book at 12k per day, and 35 straight days to write five 80k books. If you took weekends off, it would take you 49 days, or 7 weeks. Have you ever written five 80k books within 35 or even 49 consecutive days? Then what makes you entertain the possibility that someone could do it in 7 days, one fifth or one seventh of the time?

Dictation is not more realistic. At 4k to 8k per hour, it would take 20 to 10 hours to dictate 80k words, and 100 to 50 hours to dictate five 80k books. At 4k per hour, you'd have to dictate at or above that rate for over 14 hours per day for 7 straight days. Dictating five 80k books would take over 7 hours a day at a constant rate of 8k an hour for 7 straight days.

For comparison, consider that the average for audiobook reading is 9.5k per hour. At 8k per hour, you are composing a story at almost the same speed a complete and polished story is read aloud by professional narrators, and you're doing that for 7 hours a day. Even 4k is only half the speed or audio readers. On top of that, the 7-14 hours per day doesn't take into account the time needed to fix the inescapable error rate of voice recognition, which is somewhere between 1 in 15 and 1 in 20 words.

It's not physically possible.

Offline DanaFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »
I once wrote 20,000 words in one day. I wouldn't recommend it. I couldn't imagine keeping up even that pace for an entire week, and that wouldn't even produce two of these 80,000-word novels.

I wrote 18k by hand (and part of it by flashlight) in one day. There was no tv, no internet, no electricity (like 2003 or whenever the great northern blackout was). Of course, it was in the middle of a story where I had already been thinking for days if not weeks (despite being a "pantser") of where things were headed. Took me twice as long to type it into the manuscript because my handwriting was raw excrement after the first 5k words :D