Author Topic: Looking for a Beta reader, paid. $50  (Read 1996 times)  

Offline TonyD

• Vancouver BC, Canada
    • View Profile
Looking for a Beta reader, paid. $50
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »
Hi all. I just finished the third draft of my novel. (83k words, sample in the replies below.) I don't have a lot to pay, but I'll pay someone $50 US to read it and give me feedback.

The story is about a young man who goes backpacking in Thailand, in search of his brother who went missing two years earlier. It's part travel memoir, part noir mystery. This is my second novel.

I'm looking for someone to read it quickly and help me out. I need an experienced, widely read reader. Someone who likes character driven stories, and literature. It would help if you love authors like Cormac Mcarthy, Charles Bukowski, Huraki Murakami and coming of age stories. It's aimed at men, but I'm sure women would enjoy it.

After you're done reading it we can do a skype call for about an hour. If you can keep notes that would be great. I don't have a soft ego and want good solid feedback, checking for continuity errors, etc. Pm me with your proposal. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:17:51 PM by TonyD »

Tony D Newton |  |

Offline Dennis Chekalov

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a Beta reader, paid. $50
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
How long is your novel?
How many comments do you expect to get per 1000 words of your text?
Beta Reading & Developmental Editing Services. Free sample edit up to 1000 words.

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »
I currently offer beta reading (and developmental editing - usually a discussion chat after would be part of the latter only).

You can either take a look at my thread here on Kboards for a brief run down of my services: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,247995.0.html

Or you can look at the more detailed info on what I offer with beta reading on my website: http://hauntedunicorn.com/beta-reading/

Good luck finding the right person to beta read!  :D
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 3%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 35%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline TonyD

• Vancouver BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
Here's a sample to see if you're interested. (Indents are gone. Copy n paste doesn't work from Scrivener for some reason.)

Brother. Remember when we were kids, wed wake up and share each others dreams? I have a good one. Im sitting under a palm tree, on a beach, and this big, fat, happy looking guy is there with me. Hes just sitting there peeling this mango, laughing at me. I say whats so funny? And he goes, You cannot travel the path until you have become the path yourself! I told him, Im trying dude. And then he stands up on these tiny legs that can barely hold his massive, obese body, and he grows. He must have been a hundred feet tall. He opens his gaping, jowled  mouth, leans over and swallows me. I fall into his great, eternal gut, and I fall through this abyss for ever, just falling, falling, and everything is dark as coal but illuminated by these distant bits of starlight. I hear, or sort of feel him laugh, like an earthquake, and he says, When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. So I yell back what does that even mean!? I fall and fall and it speeds up so fast to the speed of lightuntil I burst through some sort of gooey membrane and come to a place of still, quiet, and everything around me is sweet, and sticky, like the mango. It all smells so good, so I start licking it upits all delicious. Everything. And thats it. I wake up.
It seemed like the answer to some question Id been looking for. But Im not sure what that question is. Not yet. Maybe its just all the pot Ive been smoking.
Soyou had any dreams lately?
Sebastian.

Pattaya! Pattaya! The bus driver yelled over the hiss of the air brakes. The tourists stretched, stood up from their plush seats and grabbed their carry on luggage. He pointed his small brown finger through the tinted glass, down the hill towards the sun toasted, tropical city. Pattaya there. He concluded, and walked into the terminal. I slipped on my flip-flops and stepped out of the air conditioned coach onto the hot, sticky pavement. I inhaled the warm, humid, salty air. It was a new smell. It smelledsomewhere different.
From this height, the coast stretched all the way back until the smoggy horizon swallowed it. Dorian was smoking a cigarette, waiting for me in front of a fruit stand. He was still tall, and fatter than I remembered. His blond hair had grown out past his chin and in his hiking sandals, a green, collared shirt, white shorts and Ray Vans, he looked so expat. 
Adrian. You actually made it. He tossed up his big hands and gave me a squeeze.  How long was your flight?
About twenty hours. There was a delay in Taiwan. A tropical storm or something.
Yeah man, those happen often here. Did you spend much time in Bangkok?
Nah, straight through the afternoon here.
He shifted his weight and coughed. Well[crap]. Youre here.
It was alright. What do we do now?
Well, we can do whatever we want. Up to you. Thailand is good like that. I used to like Thailand a lot, but since I moved to Pnom Penh, I sort of prefer Cambodia. You can get away here, but Cambodia is more like the wild westThailand is more like Disneyland. I used to get pulled over all the time in Pnom Penh for driving my bike, not fast, just for being white on a bike. Now when I see them trying to flag me down, I just speed up. Cause my bike is faster than theirs.
Damn.
Yeah. If they do catch me, Bike broken! Me no stop see, broken! Then theyll  fine you ten dollars and you say, Too high. Ill give you one dollar. Then it ends at five. Five dollars. You cant get away with a lot for five dollars.
You barter with the police?
Well you can barter yourself out of anything. I mean, dont go looking for trouble, because youll find it.  You mind your own business, and hang on to your money, because when thats goneyou go home. Thats every expats biggest feargoing home. At least, thats how most tourists operate. Travel until the money is gone, or the two week vacation is over. Not us. I mean we have some hustle. Were here to stay. This is home. Asia I mean.
Where is your home? I asked.
For a long time it was this place we call The Outpost.
The Outpost.
Youll see it eventually.

Tony D Newton |  |

Online Anne R. Tan

• View Profile
    • Anne R. Tan
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 04:52:01 PM »
I've used Frost Bite Publishing beta service in the past. They are in your price range.

What is family without murder?
Anne R. Tan | Website | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline SMays

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
Might want to look around Fiverr too if no one bites on here (but I'd stick to at least level 1 or 2 people).

S Mays | Website | FB

Offline TonyD

• Vancouver BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »
Awesome thank you everybody. I have a few offers. Great help.

Tony D Newton |  |

Offline TonyD

• Vancouver BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
Does anybody know why the formatting of my copy in paste is so messed up? It changed some of my periods to commas, and added all those question marks. It came out of Scrivener.

Tony D Newton |  |

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:08:49 PM »
Does anybody know why the formatting of my copy in paste is so messed up? It changed some of my periods to commas, and added all those question marks. It came out of Scrivener.

It carried invisible control characters over from Scrivener (this can also happen with Word and other software). To avoid this in the future, paste it into something like Notepad or Wordpad first, then copy and paste from there. That strips the invisible characters that cause problems with web pages.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 03:16:15 AM »
I've used Frost Bite Publishing beta service in the past. They are in your price range.

Frostbite are very good, although they'd be a little above the $50 limit ($83 for an 83K manuscript).

http://www.frostbitepublishing.com/beta-reader/

A new one I've discovered recently is Fading Street. They'd charge $63. Very good, and fast.

http://publishing18.wixsite.com/fadingstreet/beta-reading

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 57 and counting...

Offline TonyD

• Vancouver BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:11 AM »
It carried invisible control characters over from Scrivener (this can also happen with Word and other software). To avoid this in the future, paste it into something like Notepad or Wordpad first, then copy and paste from there. That strips the invisible characters that cause problems with web pages.

Amazing. Thank you so much.

Tony D Newton |  |

Offline TonyD

• Vancouver BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
Frostbite are very good, although they'd be a little above the $50 limit ($83 for an 83K manuscript).

http://www.frostbitepublishing.com/beta-reader/

A new one I've discovered recently is Fading Street. They'd charge $63. Very good, and fast.

Thank you so much

http://publishing18.wixsite.com/fadingstreet/beta-reading

Tony D Newton |  |

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac