KB Featured Book
A Second Chance
by Marcia Whitaker

$7.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-30
Bestseller ranking: 264164

Product Description
What would you do if you got that once in a lifetime second chance to seize everything that was torn away from you and make it right?

Living in the foothills of the scenic Rocky Mountains, highly respected Neurosurgeon, Julian Cahill, appears to have it all. He’s handsome, compassionate, ambitious, and wealthy but one thing is missing…a woman to share his life. For eighteen years he has grieved the loss of his high school sweetheart, Amber Scott, who passed away just prior to the start of their senior year. Ready to give up on love all together, college freshman, Destiny Bradshaw walks into his life, astounding him with her beauty. A girl half his age, she intrigues him. His attraction to her is powerful, but he’s unable to make sense of it. Despite the age difference, Destiny is also drawn to him, but her overly-protective parents have their concerns and give her an ultimatum. Upon uncovering some life-altering details in conne...

Author Topic: I think I broke something  (Read 811 times)  

Offline usedtocare

• View Profile
I think I broke something
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »
It's one of those days where I was convinced I screwed everything up, and then an hour later it works super perfect, and then three hours later I'm like clueless because I can't figure out how to reproduce it and I want to do it again.  :'(

Today I changed one of my free books over to Pronoun, freaked out it because I thought it would be unavailable for a day or two, then realized it immediately linked to the paperback version on 'Zon and there were multiple ebook versions for about 30 minutes, and then it all sorted out without any downtime. Few hours later I click the link on my author page scrollbar & get a "Sorry, that content is not available" page, proceed to freak out more. Just checked it now and suddenly it's #219 free in the store, and of course I'm trying to figure out how the heck that happened, since it usually takes a Bookbub for me to hit that. (This title is a freebie feeder to the rest of my books & lingers between #1500-2200 free if I'm not doing any promo for it; it will jump to #800-1000 with minimal promo effort (FB Ad or run it in my MML), but usually takes a coordinated effort to get it below #400.) I do have a Facebook Ad running for my series bundle with a link to this book included, but that's been on for a few days & I don't see any crazy spikes in the ad activity, it's been pretty steady. I haven't changed anything else.

Could it have been just the switch from one distributor to another that made such an difference? I'm thinking the rank could climb because the rank got stripped during the switch, now it's starting over? If that's the case, it's still interesting I suppose, and that would give me a lot to consider because I'm contemplating doing a lot more with Pronoun.

Ugh, if anyone can give me any insight, that would be appreciated. I'm scratching my head right now because I usually can predict the cause/effect of what I'm doing for promotion vs resultant sales/downloads.  :-[

And I probably shouldn't say this out loud, but I noticed that I have three main categories now. Before the switch, I couldn't get into all three at the same time, because all three are sub-choices you can choose instead of use keywords to get into. So there is that.  :-X
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:10:59 PM by ebbrown »

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
Re: I think I broke something
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
Probably because it tripped a "newly free" trigger and was listed on some site and maybe some bot farms glommed onto it.

I sometimes mention freebies from other authors in my newsletter, and they usually get a few hundred downloads, which brings them in the range of 250-300 free on .com. I just don't think you need to have that many downloads anymore, because people aren't downloading as many free books, maybe there aren't as many free books, or at least not ones that get regular advertising, and maybe the authors (like me) choose other venues than retailers for the delivery of their free content.

Offline taliwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
If it's the book in your sig, I saw it on Booksends today when I was checking if mine was there.

Offline usedtocare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:03:39 PM »
Probably because it tripped a "newly free" trigger and was listed on some site and maybe some bot farms glommed onto it.

I sometimes mention freebies from other authors in my newsletter, and they usually get a few hundred downloads, which brings them in the range of 250-300 free on .com. I just don't think you need to have that many downloads anymore, because people aren't downloading as many free books, maybe there aren't as many free books, or at least not ones that get regular advertising, and maybe the authors (like me) choose other venues than retailers for the delivery of their free content.

Makes sense for sure. I was thinking it probably doesn't take as many downloads as it used to in order to hit low ranks. 😊

If it's the book in your sig, I saw it on Booksends today when I was checking if mine was there.

Wow, thanks for that. I'm totally confused because I didn't run anything with them, but holy smokes, I'm gonna look into it now. It's at 171 overall now. I would have arranged other promos if I had any clue it was on there!
Thumbs up, Booksends!! I'm impressed! 🤣🤣

Offline Lauriejoyeltahs

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »
I moved my nonfiction book back from pronoun a few weeks ago to Amazon and a few days later saw a huge jump in rank and sales. I haven't done any advertising at all- I just wasn't moving any except prints through Amazon. The only thing I could figure was maybe it triggered some kind of "new" book thing.

Offline usedtocare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:57:53 AM »
I moved my nonfiction book back from pronoun a few weeks ago to Amazon and a few days later saw a huge jump in rank and sales. I haven't done any advertising at all- I just wasn't moving any except prints through Amazon. The only thing I could figure was maybe it triggered some kind of "new" book thing.
How long did the tail last for you? I expected a drop, but it seems to be climbing again.
And did your also bought appear? I'm finding it funny that this book still has no also boughts or even also viewed? 😂

Lol, in other news, I just put up 3 new titles with Pronoun 😜

Offline Lauriejoyeltahs

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »
How long did the tail last for you? I expected a drop, but it seems to be climbing again.
And did your also bought appear? I'm finding it funny that this book still has no also boughts or even also viewed? 😂

Lol, in other news, I just put up 3 new titles with Pronoun 😜

I'm still seeing higher than usual sales and page reads, but I just checked and there are no also viewed or boughts. It's not huge numbers, about a sale a day and 60 page reads (it's only 29 pages...). I would think it would show someones also something's by now though.