KB Featured Book
A Second Chance
by Marcia Whitaker

$7.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-30
Bestseller ranking: 264164

Product Description
What would you do if you got that once in a lifetime second chance to seize everything that was torn away from you and make it right?

Living in the foothills of the scenic Rocky Mountains, highly respected Neurosurgeon, Julian Cahill, appears to have it all. He’s handsome, compassionate, ambitious, and wealthy but one thing is missing…a woman to share his life. For eighteen years he has grieved the loss of his high school sweetheart, Amber Scott, who passed away just prior to the start of their senior year. Ready to give up on love all together, college freshman, Destiny Bradshaw walks into his life, astounding him with her beauty. A girl half his age, she intrigues him. His attraction to her is powerful, but he’s unable to make sense of it. Despite the age difference, Destiny is also drawn to him, but her overly-protective parents have their concerns and give her an ultimatum. Upon uncovering some life-altering details in conne...

Author Topic: Space Opera Tropes  (Read 1264 times)  

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: Space Opera Tropes
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 06:23:13 PM »
Ah, B5, my all time favorite series. What complexity it had. I agree about the creepy spider ships. *shudders*.
I could maybe think of a fantasy version of the basic concept, but so much detail would just get lost it wouldn't be recognizable.

Online P.J. Post

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »
GOT with...

Spaceships instead of boats
Blasters instead of swords
Speeders instead of horses
Planets instead of nations (Houses can remain, as in Atreides...)
The Outer Rim instead of Beyond the Wall
Space Pirates instead of white walkers (Reavers anyone?)
"Coruscant" instead of King's Landing

All of the magic and legend and prophecy are still fair game.

Dune is the best example of this I can think of, but I also think Dune passes Patty's SF test. I agree with her about SF in general, but we have lots of Adventure SF that is just trappings and settings and tropes thrown on top: the best example being Star Wars, which is really just a western.

Online A. S. Warwick

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »
What, no links to TvTropes yet :)

Here you go - the Standard SciFi Setting - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StandardSciFiSetting

Ah, yeah, B5.  Still my favourite SF TV show even after all these years.  And the Shadow Battlecrabs with their screams were quite unsettling.  Oddly, I tended to agree with parts of their philosophy.  Just not the way they went about it.
Dead Man's Drop (Noir Dark Fantasy) Rewrite: 100%

Echo of the Ages Book 1 Rewrite: 7%

Unnamed Echo of the Ages Standalone First Draft: 50%
Mist and Shadows | Tales From a Thousand Worlds

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »
I'd say that you don't necessarily need FTL ships. I can think of several space operas that don't have that trope, including The Expanse and Firefly.

I havent watched Firefly yet. The Expanse for me is more of hard sci-fi since they pay a lot of attention to physics like gravity, momentum, inertia, etc.

I currently have a hard sci-fi series and writing it is great fun but lots of research is needed. I'm looking to just let go and make a novel without the heavy study involved and thats why I'm looking at space opera.

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:38 PM »

Floyd Looney

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »
This thread needs more Shadow vessels!   ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYq-XJ5XfkI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYq-XJ5XfkI</a>

I'm still amazed at the quality of the cgi considering it was all done on early 1990s technology and with a severely limited budget.

duck season!

Floyd!  Welcome back, man.   :)
Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline MladenR

• Founder and Lead Writer at http://www.writertowrit
    • View Profile
    • Writer To Writers
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 01:22:01 AM »
GOT with...

Spaceships instead of boats
Blasters instead of swords
Speeders instead of horses
Planets instead of nations (Houses can remain, as in Atreides...)
The Outer Rim instead of Beyond the Wall
Space Pirates instead of white walkers (Reavers anyone?)
"Coruscant" instead of King's Landing

All of the magic and legend and prophecy are still fair game.

Did you just outline a bestseller?

Offline SamanthaChapman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 04:53:24 AM »
It's also important to know that the lines between various forms of adventure-sci-fi are really, really blurry. But for me, Space Opera falls on the softer end of the scale - a hard sci-fi story really needs to have its science down, to the point where the plot may take second billing to the scientific ideas.  A soft one can get away with technobabble and "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey", because it's more about exploring a particular story in a changed setting. On the REALLY soft end of the scale is science fantasy, which doesn't particularly try to replicate any actual science and just happens to be set in space/a world with robots/an undersea colony. To me, Space Opera isn't quite that soft, and would still make token efforts to be realistic: no magic, for example (which is why I like 'sci-fantasy' for Star Wars).

The biggest difference between variations is tone. Space Opera is huge, epic. Characters whizzing from one end of the galaxy to the other, high stakes all around, big climactic battles. Space Opera can get away with being more serious about the threats; a sci-fantasy and space opera villain might both casually blow up planets, but you're not as likely to see the sci-fantasy bad guy legitimately torturing a prisoner on-screen. Space Opera can be more gritty.

I recommend Battlestar Galactica for viewing - but both of them. The older series is more on the campy, light-toned side of the fence, and the new series is realistic and dark. But to me both qualify as Space Opera. There's a lot of room for variation.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »
This thread needs more Shadow vessels!   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYq-XJ5XfkI

Those ships are so creepy!  And the sounds are even worse.

If you go to Z'ha'dum, you will die....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-enNj3gnZk

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline KenLozito

• Downingtown
    • View Profile
    • kenlozito.com
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »
I second the have fun with it. As with any genre you should read plenty of books in it to get a feel for it. Decide what kind of story you want to tell on a high level and then consider which tropes work for the story you want to tell. Is this a heroes journey, a heist, empire, etc. Typically when I think of space opera I think of stories in space but that's not always the case. Establish the rules for your world and then have fun with the characters working within the confines of the world.

Good luck.

Ken Lozito | Website | google + | Twitter | Facebook