KB Featured Book
A Second Chance
by Marcia Whitaker

$7.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-30
Bestseller ranking: 264164

Product Description
What would you do if you got that once in a lifetime second chance to seize everything that was torn away from you and make it right?

Living in the foothills of the scenic Rocky Mountains, highly respected Neurosurgeon, Julian Cahill, appears to have it all. He’s handsome, compassionate, ambitious, and wealthy but one thing is missing…a woman to share his life. For eighteen years he has grieved the loss of his high school sweetheart, Amber Scott, who passed away just prior to the start of their senior year. Ready to give up on love all together, college freshman, Destiny Bradshaw walks into his life, astounding him with her beauty. A girl half his age, she intrigues him. His attraction to her is powerful, but he’s unable to make sense of it. Despite the age difference, Destiny is also drawn to him, but her overly-protective parents have their concerns and give her an ultimatum. Upon uncovering some life-altering details in conne...

Author Topic: Why does my book keep ending up in Nonfiction??  (Read 992 times)  

Offline Greg Banks

• GA
  • Also known by the pseudonym "Drew Griot".
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Griot
Re: Why does my book keep ending up in Nonfiction??
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »

The thing about that list is that none of them really apply to my books. I don't write about pirates, vikings, ghosts, witches, vampires, etc. I did have "humor" and "romantic comedy" in my keywords. But what do I put for the others? Just leave them blank?

The categories the book was originally in were something like women's humor, romantic comedy, and women's fiction -- romance. Then it got knocked into nonfiction.

Anyway, I removed all the "dating, friendship, relationship" type keywords ... but wait! I just discovered this is where I got the idea for those keywords in the first place:
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/A3O9QROY7AIQG2

Those words are what Amazon tells you to use to get into the women's fiction categories. It's not just me being stupid.

So now I am thoroughly stumped and irritated.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I've written to kdp twice asking them to take it out of nonfiction, and it hasn't been fixed.

That chart says that if you choose the Literary category as one of your main categories, then those keywords apply. Did you select the Literary category as one of your two categories? If not, that's probably why things went wrong. The keywords don't really determine the main categories as much as the subcategories. That's why choosing good category/keyword combinations is so important.
Free content:
     Paid content:
My Websites:
WebsiteBlog | TwitterFacebook | Art Portfolio

Offline Piano Jenny

• View Profile
Re: Why does my book keep ending up in Nonfiction??
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »

That chart says that if you choose the Literary category as one of your main categories, then those keywords apply. Did you select the Literary category as one of your two categories? If not, that's probably why things went wrong. The keywords don't really determine the main categories as much as the subcategories. That's why choosing good category/keyword combinations is so important.

That, I believe, was the problem, and now it is finally fixed. Thank you!

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website