KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: What to do about this KDP payments message?  (Read 895 times)  

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
What to do about this KDP payments message?
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »
I have just received this message (apparently) from KDP:

Weve recently tried to send you a payment that failed for KDP royalties in the following marketplaces:
Amazon.co.in

This may be due to invalid payment information. Please follow the instructions below to re-enter your payment information and correct any potential errors. Well attempt to make your royalty payment again during the next payment cycle.

If youve recently received payment in these marketplaces, or if you believe your payment information is correct, please contact us at:
https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/contact-us

For security purposes, you cannot edit your bank's details for an account. You'll need to delete the bank you want to edit and add a new one.

To update your payment information:
1.    Sign in: https://kdp.amazon.com
2.    Go to Your Account and select Payment & Banking
3.    If you have a bank account entered, delete by clicking Delete under the accounts name
4.    Under Tell us about your bank follow the prompts to add payment information
5.    Click Add to save information. You will be notified with a green check that youve updated your information
6.    Click Save

Best regards,
The Kindle Direct Publishing team.

I've been receiving KDP payments for 4 years to my Payoneer bank account with no problems.  Payments from 7 or 8 different country stores.  At first, I thought this message was a scam to get my bank account details, but when I checked this email sender address (kdp-support@amazon.com) with my recent KDP email about the KENP payouts (kdp-support@amazon.com) they appear to be identical.

I really don't want to do what the emails says - delete my bank account details and add a new bank account, as I worry that could stir up all sorts of trouble.  Since it's a payment from the India store, the payment is not likely to be large, so I'm inclined to ignore the issue.

Has anyone else had a message like this?  Is it genuine?

What to do?

Philip
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:06:53 PM by Philip Gibson »

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Online The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
Re: What to do about this KDP payments message?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
To confirm the message is genuine, I think you can sign into KDP and check messages there (I've never bothered, others can confirm). And the payment should also be listed as "pending", so you can check the amount. Then I'd be asking why the India payment cant be processed.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline Pacman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Leo Nix
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:28:26 PM »
Philip, I live in Australia and had this message dozens of times as I tried to get my bank to accept their wired transfers. I eventually changed banks and now the messages have stopped and the wires go through nicely.

post-apocalypse anyone?
Leo Nix | web

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:48:15 PM »
I got the same email.

The last India payment failed, after many which were ok, so I dont know what their problem is. I asked Amazon at the time what the problem was, and they told me it was Payoneer's problem, and I got not answer from anyone.

Now it appears Amazon is owning up to the problem.

Its still on my to-do list.

edit: I followed their link to the generic help system, and sent them a message quoting their email, and just telling them I only had one payment setup, it worked for everything else, it worked for India until this payment, so the problem was theirs, so please fix it.

This looks like a KDP India cock-up, and nothing to do with authors.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:49:03 PM by TimothyEllis »

Offline skywalker

• View Profile
    • Brain Science for a Better Life
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
To confirm the message is genuine, I think you can sign into KDP and check messages there (I've never bothered, others can confirm). And the payment should also be listed as "pending", so you can check the amount. Then I'd be asking why the India payment cant be processed.
This is helpful, thanks

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:14:57 AM »

Thanks for that.  I checked the payments page and the India payment (of $0.08!) is listed as 'Failed'.  I saw previous months' India payments have gone through so I'll let it ride and wait to see if it goes through next month.

At least I know now that. although it was a genuine notice, it's not worth making any changes to my banking arrangements for the sake of $0.08.

Philip
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:26:20 AM by Philip Gibson »

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:16:36 AM »
I usually have a time getting payments from outside the US to process, for some odd reason. It's mostly Canada and Australia, though. They eventually get through without me having to do anything. The one time I did get a "failed" message, Amazon resent it and the bank approved it. I'm not sure why there's a problem, as even if the store isn't .com, the money sent is in US funds (for me, anyway).

Never follow a link in emails like this. Sign into your account and check the payments page. If there's an issue, you can email directly and get it worked out.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 05:34:24 AM »
Thanks for that.  I checked the payments page and the India payment (of $0.08!) is listed as 'Failed'.  I saw previous months' India payments have gone through so I'll let it ride and wait to see if it goes through next month.

At least I know now that. although it was a genuine notice, it's not worth making any changes to my banking arrangements for the sake of $0.08.

Philip

I had a similar failed one for $0.01  ;D Confirmed it was genuine from Payoneer so just ignored it.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:48:22 AM »
I've had a response from KDP on this issue, and they promised to look into it and get back by Aug 24.

Usual response, but I'll let you know if I get an actual response.

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:34 AM »
I had this issue awhile back with a foreign payment. The answer I got was that there was an old number or error somewhere that the bank had accepted for a couple transactions and then stopped.

I reentered the same bank information about six times before something clicked on their end. Haven't had any trouble since - knock wood.

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »
I'd be very concerned, it I were you. The Aussie tax authorities are probably going to want their cut of that $0.08, and where are you going to scrape up the money to pay them? :P

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • L Maree Apps - Contemporary Erotic Romance... not your nana's bedtime stories...
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
I'd be very concerned, it I were you. The Aussie tax authorities are probably going to want their cut of that $0.08, and where are you going to scrape up the money to pay them? :P

No worries at all.  With the cost of broadband in Aus, the Internet usage deduction for typing the email to check the veracity of the message will have cancelled that income out, plus some  ;)

L Maree Apps | website | facebook | twitter | wattpad | newsletter