Kindle Oasis

Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Watch Thread  (Read 1985 times)  

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
Re: Hurricane Harvey Watch Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
I didn't mention that my cousins who live in Rockport did evacuate well ahead of Harvey and are quite safe, but like so many, they're not sure there is anything to go back to. Even for people who have seen a lot of hurricanes this is unfathomable.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
If you are looking for some local organizations to donate to, this article has a good list of some, including an organization I've heard mentioned before that provides diapers.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/ways-can-help-people-hurricane-harvey/
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
I didn't mention that my cousins who live in Rockport did evacuate well ahead of Harvey and are quite safe, but like so many, they're not sure there is anything to go back to. Even for people who have seen a lot of hurricanes this is unfathomable.

My cousin said in the 40 years she's lived there, she's never seen anything like this, either.

Thanks for that list, Betsy. I'll take a look.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
Did you see this photo of the dog carrying his bag of food?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DILs13oVoAA1kEV.jpg

Offline Tonya Snow-Cook

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 05:28:26 PM »
I'm in Houston. It's very surreal down here and we are just trying to get through this...all of us.
Asher Kessler: 5%
Tonya Snow-Cook | Website | Facebook | Twitter

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
It just occurred to me that another cousin is a chef and frequently volunteers to cook at the shelters. He lives here but goes wherever he's needed. I doubt if he'll be able to get anywhere near Texas right now.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »
I'm in Houston. It's very surreal down here and we are just trying to get through this...all of us.

Sending prayers your way. Keep in touch if you can.

Offline Tonya Snow-Cook

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »
Sending prayers your way. Keep in touch if you can.

Will try.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »

Tonya, I wish I could give you a big hug. How are you hanging in there? Please be careful, this doesn't even seem to be over yet with more rain. I feel heartbroken seeing all those images. You guys are going to need a lot of help.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Tonya Snow-Cook

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
Tonya, I wish I could give you a big hug. How are you hanging in there? Please be careful, this doesn't even seem to be over yet with more rain. I feel heartbroken seeing all those images. You guys are going to need a lot of help.

We are staying positive and just trying to keep safe. My family is not displaced, but there are tons of folks who are, and, we are still in for more days of this. It feels like the apocalypse with mandatory curfews and immobilty and business closures, having to scour for accommodations and food. It's truly something.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »
We are staying positive and just trying to keep safe. My family is not displaced, but there are tons of folks who are, and, we are still in for more days of this. It feels like the apocalypse with mandatory curfews and immobilty and business closures, having to scour for accommodations and food. It's truly something.

Hugs, Tonya.  Sending positive energy to you.
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »
A lot of things we take for granted. I am glad you did not get displaced, but there are so many other things that affect your normal way of life. Food, water. Just getting around, infrastructure.
I will be thinking about you and your family and everyone else down there.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 04:22:29 AM »
Seems like there's a couple of things . . . . the hurricane hit and did a lot of hurricane damage. At this point, it's not so much hurricane damage as flooding because of the way the storm systems/jet stream are interacting -- the thing is just Not Moving. I also read something to the effect that, there's so much flooding, the area is almost like an extension of the gulf. So normally it's the deep water that provides energy to a storm and then it loses energy over land. But the land is so covered with water that there's not a lot of further energy loss! :o

Also, I gather the NWS had to add additional colors to their maps as they'd previously only had total rainfall categories up to 15" and over -- which doesn't really tell the whole story, of course.

The devastation is horrible -- but the science as to 'why' is kind of fascinating.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 04:32:30 AM »
Seems like there's a couple of things . . . . the hurricane hit and did a lot of hurricane damage. At this point, it's not so much hurricane damage as flooding because of the way the storm systems/jet stream are interacting -- the thing is just Not Moving. I also read something to the effect that, there's so much flooding, the area is almost like an extension of the gulf. So normally it's the deep water that provides energy to a storm and then it loses energy over land. But the land is so covered with water that there's not a lot of further energy loss! :o

Also, I gather the NWS had to add additional colors to their maps as they'd previously only had total rainfall categories up to 15" and over -- which doesn't really tell the whole story, of course.

The devastation is horrible -- but the science as to 'why' is kind of fascinating.

I heard that Harvey is caught between two high pressure systems. Also, that when it leaves Texas, it's going to swing around and hit again, dumping even more rain.

Anyone else hear that?

My cousin is still posting. The last one was six hours ago.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 05:37:45 AM »
Yeah. They just say on the radio here that the 'center' of what's left is going to swing around and come ashore again, but more to the east -- western Louisiana. It's currently a tropical storm, but still lots of rain, of course. And the reason it basically didn't move right away had to do with a weather system from the west and where the jet stream was.

The other sad thing is that the city is a bit a victim of its own success. :( If it wasn't so built up, the rain would have more places to soak in. I suspect it'd still be catastrophic, but surely the 'paved land' nature of the city is a big part of the problem.

:( So many warning signs that are obvious with 20/20 hindsight. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 06:12:59 AM »
The situation in Houston is dire.  But the smaller communities of Rockport and Port Aransas also suffered massive damage due to a direct hit from a Category 4 hurricane.  If you'd like to give somewhere in the local areas there is also the Coastal Bend Community Foundation.
I don't want to be negative about the Red Cross - they do a lot of good.  But their overhead does take a lot out of the donations.

Here is one of the posts from the Coastal Bend Community Foundation:
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our friends and neighbors impacted by Hurricane Harvey. In late 2015 the Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group established a fund with the Foundation to accept charitable donations and distribute recovery grants for the benefit of our seven county region (Aransas, Bee, Jim Wells, Kleberg, Nueces, Refugio, and San Patricio) in the event of such a natural disaster. You may donate directly to this recovery effort on our website at http://www.cbcfoundation.org/?page_id=5354.

Be safe everyone!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
Cousin is still posting on FB so all is still well.

Anheuser-Busch is sending water for victims of Harvey.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brewery-pauses-beer-production-send-145630231.html
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:40:46 AM by Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 08:43:46 AM »
Yeah. They just say on the radio here that the 'center' of what's left is going to swing around and come ashore again, but more to the east -- western Louisiana. It's currently a tropical storm, but still lots of rain, of course. And the reason it basically didn't move right away had to do with a weather system from the west and where the jet stream was.

The other sad thing is that the city is a bit a victim of its own success. :( If it wasn't so built up, the rain would have more places to soak in. I suspect it'd still be catastrophic, but surely the 'paved land' nature of the city is a big part of the problem.

:( So many warning signs that are obvious with 20/20 hindsight. :(

I used to work for city government and took minutes for the planning board. One thing they were insistent on and wouldn't compromise was pervious area. The city was right on the ocean and if Hurricane Andrew hadn't taken a 4 degree turn to the south, she would have gone straight down the main road.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
Here is an article from the Austin American Statesman about other businesses that are helping out with flood relief:

http://www.statesman.com/news/harvey-aid-houston-these-texas-businesses-and-nonprofits-are-helping-out-here-how-you-can-too/CLFBZ3a9wyM2mK3DNbaGNO/

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »
Remember that collecting food or clothing is NOT really the best plan -- there's a whole separate logistical issue in getting such physical items to where it's needed. Better to donate to a reputable charitable organization and let them purchase/contract with companies to acquire what's needed.

And beware of scammers! Only donate through qualified charities . . . if you get a solicitation and it's not anything you've heard of (even if it sounds legit), check them out at www.CharityNavigator.org; they're like the BBB for charities. They have a page for highly rated organizations that are standing ready to provide assistance and can use your donations.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 01:39:41 PM »
The situation in Houston is dire.  But the smaller communities of Rockport and Port Aransas also suffered massive damage due to a direct hit from a Category 4 hurricane.  If you'd like to give somewhere in the local areas there is also the Coastal Bend Community Foundation.
I don't want to be negative about the Red Cross - they do a lot of good.  But their overhead does take a lot out of the donations.

Here is one of the posts from the Coastal Bend Community Foundation:
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our friends and neighbors impacted by Hurricane Harvey. In late 2015 the Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group established a fund with the Foundation to accept charitable donations and distribute recovery grants for the benefit of our seven county region (Aransas, Bee, Jim Wells, Kleberg, Nueces, Refugio, and San Patricio) in the event of such a natural disaster. You may donate directly to this recovery effort on our website at http://www.cbcfoundation.org/?page_id=5354.

Be safe everyone!

I just made a donation there. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
My mom's power was restored around 6:30 this evening!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 06:07:09 PM »
My mom's power was restored around 6:30 this evening!

Yay!!!

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
There is now no gas to be found in San Antonio. I just tried like 4-5 stations. All out. So I have no gasoline in the car. And I haven't shopped yet for the weekend.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
There is now no gas to be found in San Antonio. I just tried like 4-5 stations. All out. So I have no gasoline in the car. And I haven't shopped yet for the weekend.

That situation has quickly spread up to Dallas, as well. The problem is that everyone is panicking and they cant get the gas stations re-filled fast enough to cover the increased panic-demand. Texas is sitting on a lot of gas. Things are in place for this stuff. If the news hadnt freaked everyone out they wouldnt be creating a panic demand.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:11:33 PM by Going Incognito »