Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors
KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: New iPhones coming  (Read 1683 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
New iPhones coming
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:07:39 AM »
Apple's new phones are scheduled to be announced on 12 Sep. Anybody thinking about getting a new phone? It looks as thought the new flagship iPhone is going to be priced over $1000, so that's clearly out for me.

The rest of the line (rumored to be called the 7s and 7s Plus) will likely be around $800-$900.This is still pretty steep, but the Samsung and Google phones cost that also.

I'm thinking to get the previous model when the price drops in two months or so to replace my three-year old phone. An iPhone 7 Plus will do me fine. It would have four things I would like to have: slightly larger keyboard for my clumsy old fingers, enough memory to get all my music on, better camera, and better battery life on a charge.

I really like the Motorola G5 phones (at $300 or so), but the thing that keeps me from getting one is that the ones they sell here in the US don't have NFC (Near Field Communications), which means I couldn't use my phone to pay for things at stores. I've gotten accustomed to zipping through checkout lines with a button tap to pay from a debit card, not to mention the massive security improvement over plastic cards.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
Re: New iPhones coming
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 01:46:43 PM »
I'll most likely get the new iphone.  I'm on the ATT plan that allows a new phone every year and I'll be eligible for an upgrade on 9/22/17.  I don't need a new phone.  My 7+ works perfectly well but the new one coming up will be the so called "anniversary" phone and I can't miss out on that.  I expect I'll go back to every other year after this purchase. 

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
I watched the presentation of the new phones this afternoon. There are some improvements, but the flagship phone is about $1,200, which is not quite double what I want to pay for a phone. I'm obviously not the target market. Not unexpectedly, the phone part of it hasn't improved at all. And I didn't hear anything about an improved Siri.

It's possible that I may get an iPhone 8 (the smaller one), but I don't feel in a rush to do it. I just don't feel the "gotta-haves" for any of those things except maybe the new iWatch. I need more info on how the new watch connects with carriers and current plans.

I think I'll wait on some long-term usage reports before I decide.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
For better or for worse, I'm a member of Apple's "iPhone Upgrade Program" so there's little advantage to me in delaying getting a new phone. Although I also am perturbed by the price, it is likely I will get the big $ iPhone X. I use my phone A LOT, and though I've had a larger phone since getting the HTC EVO back in 2010 or whenever it was, I look back in fondness to the last smaller phone I had ( Palm Pre, in the unlikely event anyone remembers that turkey). I'd like to have something smaller, and will rationalize it by saying that the extra cost is only "X dollars per month." Something that could short-circuit this would be reviews by pundits revealing problems with the X, especially the Face ID system.

This may help some indecisive people choose, though it doesn't make the case for not upgrading at all, which is a real option if you already have the current model:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/13/16302170/apple-iphone-x-vs-iphone-8-features-camera-price

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline ak8912351

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
I'm very excited about iPhone X.

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »
For better or for worse, I'm a member of Apple's "iPhone Upgrade Program" so there's little advantage to me in delaying getting a new phone.

I'm considering using the Apple upgrade program, and have a question. Does the monthly amount come on your regular carrier phone bill, or do you get billed separately by Apple or some third party?

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
I'm considering using the Apple upgrade program, and have a question. Does the monthly amount come on your regular carrier phone bill, or do you get billed separately by Apple or some third party?

My understanding is it's on your phone bill. I'm considering it as well
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 05:49:24 PM »
The program through Apple is with Citizens One. I have a separate bill every month.

My general view is that it's really only valuable if you are the type who has to have a new iPhone every year (or at least WANTS a new one every year). If you keep your phone for two years, look for one of the deals for a free iPhone 8 (I understand Sprint already has one, and other carriers probably have or will).

Good points of the Apple program are that you don't have to deal with selling your old phone, and that it does include AppleCare. I understand you can do a little better financially by selling your phone yourself, and finding other insurance, or self-insuring. But I like the idea of taking a broken iPhone into an Apple Store and walking out with a replacement (I understand that frequently happens), and having instant good tech support when I need it, and especially not having to deal with selling my phone myself. One downside is that my understanding is that AppleCare doesn't help you if your phone is stolen. The insurance I had from my carrier did cover that, though with a big deductible.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:00:22 PM by The Hooded Claw »

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
Here's Apple's description of their program

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Here is one view of the program. Google is your friend for further research.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/apples-iphone-upgrade-plan-right/

My one-sentence review is that the Apple plan costs slightly more than upgrading every year on your own, but offers low-stress and certainty. I don't recommend it for people keeping their phone for two years.

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:43:19 PM »
The program through Apple is with Citizens One. I have a separate bill every month.

My general view is that it's really only valuable if you are the type who has to have a new iPhone every year (or at least WANTS a new one every year). If you keep your phone for two years, look for one of the deals for a free iPhone 8 (I understand Sprint already has one, and other carriers probably have or will).

Thanks for clarifying how the payment works.  I was a little confused from reading about the plan on the Apple website .

One of the reasons I'm considering the Apple upgrade plan is because I'm just the opposite of what you described -  I've only had two cell phones in about a dozen years!  I'm actually going to be upgrading from the ( ancient and obsolete) 4s.  Part of my logic here is that if I have the upgrade plan, it will motivate me to upgrade a little more often. And if I don't get around to upgrading, it shouldn't make any difference in terms of the money involved. (I generally do buy the AppleCare protection with the more expensive devices such as a cell phone.)

I've preferred to stick with one provider, Verizon, so I won't be shopping around for deals with other companies. Verizon does offer trade-ins for more recent phones for several hundred dollars but I don't know if they offer a completely free phone. I haven't ordered the new phone yet so I'll check this again before I do.

Good points of the Apple program are that you don't have to deal with selling your old phone, and that it does include AppleCare. I understand you can do a little better financially by selling your phone yourself, and finding other insurance, or self-insuring. But I like the idea of taking a broken iPhone into an Apple Store and walking out with a replacement (I understand that frequently happens), and having instant good tech support when I need it, and especially not having to deal with selling my phone myself. One downside is that my understanding is that AppleCare doesn't help you if your phone is stolen. The insurance I had from my carrier did cover that, though with a big deductible.

I feel pretty much the same as you do on these points.  The Apple plan makes all these things easier if not quite  as lucrative. Thanks for taking the time to post all this -  it will definitely help with my decision.

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »
Here's Apple's description of their program

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Here is one view of the program. Google is your friend for further research.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/apples-iphone-upgrade-plan-right/

My one-sentence review is that the Apple plan costs slightly more than upgrading every year on your own, but offers low-stress and certainty. I don't recommend it for people keeping their phone for two years.

Just  saw your second message here.  That article from wired.com is very helpful. Thanks.

Offline MattHogan

• India
  • Hi. This is Matt Hogan.
    • View Profile
    • Mobile application development companies
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »
Yes Everyone are eagerly waiting for the new iPhones. Already iPhone is in to the market .

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
I think I'll wait a while before deciding on which model to get. In the meantime, I picked up an LG V20 Android phone for a remarkably good price, so I'll be using that for a while. I predict that by the time the iPhone X is in good supply and any warts have been exposed, I'll be ready to go back to iPhone. I have relatives I can foist the LG phone onto.

I'm very annoyed with Apple at the moment, due to them dropping 32-bit support, eliminating backups of phones to your computer (new 'improved' version of iTunes), and 'fixing' iOS so that my network analysis app can't label devices anymore (so I can't tell what is logged into the WiFi network). It will take a while before the hassle of using Android overrides my snit*.

*Well, it didn't take all that long. Geofencing hardly works, a wretched notifications system, and the non-responsiveness of the developer on problems with an interface app for my home automation system ("well, some phones seem to have problems"). Back to the iPhone.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:02:05 AM by Mike D. aka jmiked »

Offline luvmykindle3

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »
Im on the yearly upgrade program , but I dont upgrade for a few more months , because I upgraded early to get the red iPhone !! Im usually always excited to get the new phone, but this time Im not . Ill get the X, eventually after they restock from the first run. It should be time for me to upgrade by then. Still love this Red phone!! Not excited about new colors : (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 07:22:32 AM »
I held off on the iPhone 8 models so I could stay up late last night and order an iPhone X. I had gotten preapproval to be on the iPhone Upgrade Program again, and expected jumping into the Apple Store app to allow a quick order. One odd thing is that to preorder using IPhone Upgrade, you MUST order on the phone you will trade in. I had visions all day yesterday of dropping my phone and breaking it and not being able to order!  :o

One minute before two AM I started clicking on the StoreApp, and got a screen saying Apple had something great to show me, check back soon. I kept getting this screen as 2 AM came and went! I kept clicking the app, exiting, and reclicking until 2:06, then finally got a screen with single button asking if I wanted to order my prereserved phone. Of course I said yes!  Just a fingerprint confirmation and my order for delivery nextFriday was placed. I'll be getting Space Gray with 256 GB. I've ordered a minimalist skinny case and an Otterbox Defender from Amazon, and the Otterbox should arrive tomorrow, almost a week before I have a phone!

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
Congratulations! Be sure and keep us informed as to your experience with the X. I'm still thinking about getting one, but I want some usage info before ordering.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »
My order is already showing Preparing for Shipment but of course the November 3rd delivery date hasnt changed. I hear that the glass body is much more grippable than the slicker-than-snot metal bodies of the last few years, so had hoped to use my phone naked, but I also see reports of drop tests with the similar iPhone 8 body that show the glass bodies are much more fragile, despite being made of supposedly super strong glass. In any case, Im going to carry my phone in the armor-plated Otterbox Defender case for the first few weeks while I doubt I could get a replacement if I broke the phone, then we will see. Ill keep the Defender case around to use when traveling, when breaking my iPhone would be exceptionally inconvenient.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:01:48 PM by The Hooded Claw »

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
but I also see reports of drop tests with the similar iPhone 8bidy that show the glass bodies are much more fragile, despite being made of supposedly super strong glass.

Yes. Both the iPhone 8/8+ and the Samsung S8 failed the Squarespace drop test in a big way. Whichever new iPhone I get will have an Otterbox case waiting for it when it arrives. I drop things a lot, although I've never broken a phone.

Mike

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 07:29:32 PM »

One picture for size shows my new phone alongside my iPhone Plus (in a slim case, so not truly a fair comparison).

My iPhone X is here! Ive been playing with it on and off all evening, getting things set up. You can do much of the settings by holding your new phone near an old one that has iOS 11 now. I also found the ability to call on passwords in apps (actually an iOS 11 feature, not an iPhone X feature) to REALLY speed setting up new apps that have passwords.

I had read that the glass surface of the X was easier to grip than the slick metal bodies. Not true, at least in my eyes. Ill never use the thing without some kind of case for gripping.

FaceID works fine. It is at least about as fast as finger prints were, sometimes faster. The only times it has failed me were when I accidentally held the phone to close to my face. Moving the phone further out and telling it to try again always fixed the problem.

Incidentally, it is trueThe FaceID unlocks the phone without a hitch in complete darkness!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:33:51 PM by The Hooded Claw »

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
One of the big things I'd like hearing about is whether Apple has the accidental touch problem licked, i.e. wigh the small bezels, how easy is it to inadvertently launch an app.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 10:31:17 PM »
One of the big things I'd like hearing about is whether Apple has the accidental touch problem licked, i.e. wigh the small bezels, how easy is it to inadvertently launch an app.

So far it hasnt been a problem at all, though a few hours is to short to make a pronouncement. I dont think it will be a problem. My hands arent big enough to wrap around both sides and easily curve inwards and touch the screen. Also my case (so far Im using a light Spigham one rather than the big Otterbox) has a lip extending up that creates another barrier to touching the screen. Ill report back later with a review based on actual experience, but Im not expecting a problem. Im setting my phone on the charger and going to bed for now!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:58:57 AM by The Hooded Claw »

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 06:19:46 PM »
So far it hasn't been a problem at all, though a few hours is to short to make a pronouncement. I don't think it will be a problem. My hands aren't big enough to wrap around both sides and easily curve inwards and touch the screen. Also my case (so far I'm using a light Spigham one rather than the big Otterbox) has a lip extending up that creates another barrier to touching the screen. I'll report back later with a review based on actual experience, but I'm not expecting a problem. I'm setting my phone on the charger and going to bed for now!

Here is a photo of me holding the phone, probably gripping it tighter than I normally would. Between the remaining bezel, and the case edges sticking up slightly past the screen, Ive never had a problem with unwanted touches, or even felt like I was close to that happening.

Face ID is still working well, the only time I have a problem is holding the phone too close, increasing the distance fixes the problem immediately. Ive gotten good at opening up the phone from sleep, and this is pretty smooth now. I just go ahead and swipe with my thumb, no need to wait for Face ID to complete. Once in awhile there is a slight delay, but long enough to be noticeable. This is the first generation of Face ID, while we were on at least the second gen of using fingerprints, and it shows, but I am fine with it as it exists. Im not going to say that it is better than the touch system, but it is more than good enough.

The screen is narrower than the last couple of generations. For viewing video, the new phone is not as good as the old. Fortunately, I dont use my phone for video much. The color and brightness of the screen are fine, but Im not oohing and aching over it like some reviewers. One place I can tell a difference is in the blackness of the blacks. Reading in the kindle app with black page and white text looks really cool, though I cant say it actually improves the reading experience.

Wireless charging works well, though not a good choice for a quick top off. My inexpensive wireless charger at least, is slow. But plenty fine for overnight.

I am keeping the OtterBox case for Travel or times when dropping and breaking my phone would be intolerable, but I just cant bear to put the smaller phone in that much bulk. But I do want better protection than the minimalist case Ive been using (same style that Ive used on my last two iPhones). Ive ordered a more protective, but still thin case for everyday use and will hope for the best. After viewing various drop tests, Im in agreement with those who feel that having AppleCare or other high quality warranty is a good idea for this phone unless you keep it in an OtterBox or similar case at all times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
Incidentally, the phone uses Face ID to notice when you look at a ringing phone, and turns the volume of the ring down.  Very cool! Also, it uses it to tell when you are looking at the phone and dims the screen faster if you arent actively looking. Beth good ideas.

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
I'm still having trouble getting past the price of the thing. Total with tax and Applecare is pretty much $1500. I buy my phones outright, so I can't pretend it's only $XX a month.

It helps to tell myself it's not really a phone (typically less than 30 minutes a month of usage), but a powerful handheld computer on which I do all my email work and a significant part of my internet usage.

It appears that the Face ID has already been cracked by a team of Vietnamese "security researchers", using a 3D printed face. Sigh.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 05:39:59 AM »
I just upgraded from a 5s to a 7 at Verizon.  $649 and entered for a $200 rebate for veterans so it is a good deal.  Quadrupled my memory from 32 to 128