Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: New iPhones coming  (Read 2258 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
Re: New iPhones coming
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
I just upgraded from a 5s to a 7 at Verizon.  $649 and entered for a $200 rebate for veterans so it is a good deal.  Quadrupled my memory from 32 to 128

That's quite a nice upgrade. And kudos to Verizon for offering veteran's discounts.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
I wouldnt panic over the Vietnamese hack. They are suspiciously vague on details, but admit their hack was delicate and time consuming. It presumably required a very detailed 3D scan of the subjects face which few of us would cooperate with. And there are questions about whether they turned off having FaceID check for active eye movements.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-vietnam-hack/vietnamese-researcher-shows-iphone-x-face-id-hack-idUSKBN1DE1TH

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/hackers-say-they-broke-apples-face-id-heres-why-were-not-convinced/

This may be a genuine hack, but it isnt clear it is doable in the real world,

A more legitimate worry (IMHO) is that apparently close relatives (not just twins) with similar face structures can reportedly beat FaceID in some cases. That is definitely real, and for many people is a genuine worry.

https://www.wired.com/story/10-year-old-face-id-unlocks-mothers-iphone-x/

Having said that, I must agree that there is nothing on the iPhone X that anyone must have. Im okay with spending the money for it. People who have more sense than I do may be fine with the iPhone 8 or an earlier iPhone, especially if they dont depend on the phone for a camera. Im still happy with mine, even if it isnt life changing. Ill try to be back tonight and post more after using the phone for over a week.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:07:41 PM by The Hooded Claw »

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 04:04:53 PM »
More on using the new iPhone for over a week:

In short, Im happy with the phone. The biggest negative is not just the learning curve of difference from my iPhone 7 Plus, but the fact that I have a nice iPad Pro that still uses TouchID, and still has the gestures weve been using for several years makes switching back and forth a little tough to get used to. The gestures are the problem more than TouchID vs FaceID.

FaceID works well, and is generally more convenient than TouchID, but it does have glitches more often in regular use. Not often enough that Im crying to go back, but often enough to be a noticeable difference. The one thing more reliable is the problem of having damp hands when using the fingerprint. TouchID was famously useless in that situation, but that problem has gone away. The features that dim the phone screen when youre not paying attention, and turn down ringers and alarms when you are paying attention work very well, but arent huge advantages.

The famous OLED screen is fine, but I dont routinely notice it as better than LCD screens. Black areas  are dramatically darker,  it otherwise I dont notice a difference most times. One place I do notice is reading in the Kindle app with white text on black background. That is better.

I dont like the length to width ratio of this screen as well as the classic screen, but it isn't really a major problem.

I do like the smaller size a lot! This is probably the best thing about the phone compared to my Seven Plus.

Cordless charging works great! I bought an inexpensive base that works well, Ill post a link to it. Though I suppose any compatible wireless charger will do. I havent used any of the fast charging options, and dont need them, so I cant speak to the fast charging feature.

As I mentioned before, I am happy with my purchase, but dont feel it is a huge step up from my iPhone Seven Plus. Unless you desperately want smaller dimensions with a huge screen, I imagine the Eight or Eight Plus would compare even more favorably and still  at lower cost. Because of the cost of repairs to screen or body, I recommend AppleCare with either the X or the iPhone Eight.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 08:23:17 PM »
One of the reasons I was thinking about a new phone was to get a better camera. I may decide to get a modestly-priced DSLR instead, and keep the phones I have. That way I won't have to make a decision on a new phone.  :) :)

Offline Quspo

• London
  • celebrating life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 07:47:50 AM »
I love apple products, but sorry I don't understand that hype to stand in line to buy it first :)
would you like to free your home from piles of books and college's textbooks? and even sell it for cash? now that's possible and so easy with https://booksrun.com/! I'm so satisfied with this service, my apartment seems bigger and I believe I rescue our planet

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 03:21:07 AM »
Just to mention a couple of things:  Battery life & wireless charging.

DH got the X, I didnt plan on upgrading from my 6S Plus, but AT&T had an offer for a free 8 with the purchase of the X. So we paid $10/month to upgrade the free 64g 8 to the 256g 8+ for me. Hes loving his X, Im loving my 8+.

Were both really happy with the greatly improved battery life on both, especially the X. He streams a lot of podcasts and radio. Hes been using his phone more than usual because he teaches classes about iThings and wanted to be able to provide info. Hes gone all day, every day without needing to charge, and one night went to bed with 77% battery remaining. Ive gone through most days without needing to recharge but I dont get the kind of battery life he does. (Then again, he doesnt play Candy Crush.)

The other thing we really like is the wireless charging, especially on the nightstand. Its so convenient to just lay it down (or pop it on a stand) and even more convenient if a call or text comes while youre sleeping - no fumbling with the cable. And for me, I work from home and take a lot of photos with my phone. I can have it topping off on the charger, and still easily grab it to take pictures. Weve now got 4 different wireless chargers, all were under $15.

All in all, were both very happy with our new models.

ETA:  Cant say Im thrilled with the ? in place of the apostrophe thats happening on Kboards though! 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:22:49 AM by Meemo »
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »

ETA:  Cant say Im thrilled with the ? in place of the apostrophe thats happening on Kboards though!

Interesting that the ? marks don't show up in the edit window, only the published message.

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 05:53:58 AM »
I was going to try to get another year out of my 6, but I'm not sure it's up to the task. 

One of the things that has kept me from ordering an X (other than the price) is that I've seen reports that the OLED screen is triggering eye strain and/or migraines in some users.  And, being a migraine sufferer, I'm kind of leery.  On the one hand, I want to avoid any possible new trigger, but on the other hand I know there are always people out there who find "something" wrong with any new technology. 

So, have you had any problems?  Do you stare at the screen for long periods (games, movies, reading) that would probably trigger an issue?

Honestly, if we could still buy the 256K 7, I would probably just get that to get by until the technologies under the X mature for a year or two.   

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »
I decided to pass on the 8/X for this year, and got a 128G 7. It's a significant upgrade from my 64G 6.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
I do more web surfing and gaming on my X than I should, and Ive never had any migraine or headache issues. Im not as enchanted with the color of the display as many reviewers, but it is certainly a fine display. The one thing that impresses me is how truly BLACK the blacks are.

A further update on FaceId after over a month of useIm quite content with it, though there are glitches. When I hold my phone in landscape mode, FaceId always fails. I still have annoying failures from time to time, usually because Im holding the phone too close to my face. The whole process works better than fingerprint ID did for Apple Pay. I occasionally had embarrassing failures or slow approval on my iPhone Seven Plus, but it almost never fails to work smoothly on the new phone. FaceID usually checks me out before inputting my passwords that Ive stored, which is a security improvement, though occasionally it seems to omit checking for no reason I can see. Overall Im content with FaceID, but if I could keep the smaller size of my phone, I wouldnt complain about going back to fingerprint ID.

Other than that, I do like the smaller size of the phone, and am quite happy with the new phone. It didnt change my life or anything, though!