KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: bookclicker.com  (Read 9727 times)  

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
bookclicker.com
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm developing an author cross promo platform.

The idea is to allow you to find other authors in your genre who will promote your new release to their list.
And you can return the favor.
It's not actually a favor. You pay them to do it and they pay you.

Ideally, we can keep more of our launch budget in the hands of other authors, and send less of it directly to Amazon and Facebook for ads.

The beta is working successfully for about 200 contemporary romance authors and I'd like to get authors of other genres to try it out and give me feedback.
Is anyone willing to go over to bookclicker.com, set up a free account, and feedback their experience?

If you're a romance author, especially contemp romance, there will be an active marketplace for you to buy and sell promos already.
If you're in another genre you'll probably be the first or one of the first to set up your list.

I'd like to post screenshots to give instructions but I can't figure out how to embed an image in a post. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
Re: bookclicker.com
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
You put the image on a separate place like your own server and then link to it here to display. You can't upload images to Kboards.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
You put the image on a separate place like your own server and then link to it here to display. You can't upload images to Kboards.

Thanks Elizabeth! Ok I'll try that now with a screenshot.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
Perfect! It worked. Okay I'll post a few screenshots so people know what to do.
And the homepage copy needs to be updated so ignore the part where it says $50 per month. There's going to be no monthly fee.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:13:43 AM »
So currently you have to have a mailing list on one of these four providers to sign up.

Mailchimp
MailerLite
Aweber
ConvertKit

I'm really sorry I know it's inconvenient for people who don't use those. It's just this is a new product and I had to limit the functionality to get it off the ground. It can be expanded in the future if it takes off.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:18:29 AM »
You set up your pen names.

And your books.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »
You tell it which of your lists you can use to promote other authors.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »
You tell it how often you can promote other authors.
Whether you promote just one book in the email, or a number of books.
The price you charge.
Your genre.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
And that's basically it.
If you need to launch a book. You select the authors you'd like to help you. You see if they have a free date when you need it. And you book a promo.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
You can offer them their asking price. Or higher or lower if you want to bargain.
Or you can offer them a promo on your list.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
Payments are all handled within the app.
The sender must confirm they sent out your book or you will be refunded.
You can keep track of the people you like working with and the people you don't with a private thumbs up, thumbs down rating.

It's not a magic bullet but it allows you to get a good group of authors in your genre to announce your book to their fans. You'll be in their alsobots and they'll be in yours. Amazon will know exactly what kind of book you've released. You'll have a higher rank. And your ad budget will be in the pocket of other authors instead of in FB's or Amazon's.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
Ok, pitch over. Thank you for taking the time to look at this!

Offline snk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »
I didn't want to interrupt your tutorial. But now... I'm sold!

Especially when it's free and not 50$! But how are you going to profit? Will you take a % from the swap deals?

It's about time lists swaps are automated like this. I think you have a great idea and I hope I can use it in the future.

How are the payments handled? Paypal? Is there a way to filter the authors, for example by genre, list size, cost, etc.

Just a little nitpick - the font gives me headaches.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
I didn't want to interrupt your tutorial. But now... I'm sold!

Especially when it's free and not 50$! But how are you going to profit? Will you take a % from the swap deals?

It's about time lists swaps are automated like this. I think you have a great idea and I hope I can use it in the future.

How are the payments handled? Paypal? Is there a way to filter the authors, for example by genre, list size, cost, etc.

Just a little nitpick - the font gives me headaches.

That's awesome SNK. I'll see what I can do about the font!

So regarding monetization, I was going to charge a monthly fee for it. It cost a lot to develop and I always had the intention of making a viable business out of this.
But I discussed it a lot with romance authors while in development and it just seemed it would grow faster if there was no monthly fee.
Also, the more people who use it, the more useful it is, as it's essentially a marketplace. I could get a critical mass of contemp romance authors at $30 a month, but it would be next to impossible to get say a cozy mystery writer to sign up at that price, when they're the first cozy mystery writer and there's no promos for them to buy, or anyone for them to sell to! So it would never catch on in genres outside romance.

So I decided to drop the monthly fee. I have no idea how things will go in the future regarding pricing but for now you can use the platform for free.
You can swap for free.
Launch as many books as you like for free.
And if you sell promos, a 2% transaction charge is added.
A lot of romance authors use Personal Assistants to handle swaps. And personal assistants can bill their clients weekly through the software. If they do, the author is charged 2% on those payments also.

The 2% fees don't add up to nearly as much as the monthly subscriptions would have, but I don't want to price it out of the market.

Offline snk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
The transaction charge is fair, with 50$ it's too much. Maybe in the future offer a premium account with more features for a monthly fee, but like you said - the market place must remain free to grow.

Another feature that I think is important is to add a field about whether the author is in KU or wide and where their books are on sale. If I'm wide, I don't want to advertise on a list that's full of only KU readers. Or I might want to give a boost to my Google Play books and search for authors that also sell there.

What's that about Personal Assistants?

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
Just want to throw out a little information to help keep people legal.

FTC rules regarding paid endorsements require disclosure of paid ads in situations where it may not be obvious to the average customer that a placement or endorsement is paid. If you are swapping promos with another author as a matter of courtesy, there isn't a problem. But if you are charging a fee to promote a book, you will need to make sure the placement is clearly an ad.

This only applies in situations where it is not clear to the average customer an endorsement is paid. Bookbub doesn't have to explicitly state its placements are paid because people know it is a promotional service. But if your newsletter is traditionally just stuff you find interesting and your own book announcements, you will need to disclose if a placement is a paid ad. It does not have to use the exact words PAID AD, but you need to make it clear this is not an organic endorsement.

Whenever I have ran paid placements in my newsletter, I have identified them as sponsors. I will normally include a header like "This Month's Sponsor" or something (depending on the nature of the promo) so that it is clear that the placement is not an organic endorsement.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
The transaction charge is fair, with 50$ it's too much. Maybe in the future offer a premium account with more features for a monthly fee, but like you said - the market place must remain free to grow.

Another feature that I think is important is to add a field about whether the author is in KU or wide and where their books are on sale. If I'm wide, I don't want to advertise on a list that's full of only KU readers. Or I might want to give a boost to my Google Play books and search for authors that also sell there.

What's that about Personal Assistants?

Yeah, I agree. At first I thought people would hate the idea of a transaction charge but so far it seems a lot more popular and will help the marketplace get traction.
I've got the KU/Wide tag on the development list but it will take a while for it to get implemented. I want to see if this takes off before signing up for another development round.

The Personal Assistant stuff isn't a huge deal. If you are a virtual assistant you can create a special VA account that allows you to manage accounts for multiple authors at once. And optionally charge them a weekly fee to do it.
if you have a VA who's on the system, you can select them and give them access to most of your account, minus the payment and admin areas.

Since we have the authors' credit cards on file, the VA can request a weekly fee.
The author can accept. And payments will happen automatically until cancelled.
If you currently pay your VA manually every week this is a convenience.
For VA's it helps them get some predictability and automation in billing clients.

gif image hosting

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
Just want to throw out a little information to help keep people legal.

FTC rules regarding paid endorsements require disclosure of paid ads in situations where it may not be obvious to the average customer that a placement or endorsement is paid. If you are swapping promos with another author as a matter of courtesy, there isn't a problem. But if you are charging a fee to promote a book, you will need to make sure the placement is clearly an ad.

This only applies in situations where it is not clear to the average customer an endorsement is paid. Bookbub doesn't have to explicitly state its placements are paid because people know it is a promotional service. But if your newsletter is traditionally just stuff you find interesting and your own book announcements, you will need to disclose if a placement is a paid ad. It does not have to use the exact words PAID AD, but you need to make it clear this is not an organic endorsement.

Whenever I have ran paid placements in my newsletter, I have identified them as sponsors. I will normally include a header like "This Month's Sponsor" or something (depending on the nature of the promo) so that it is clear that the placement is not an organic endorsement.

Absolutely crucial, Julie. Thanks for this.
Paid promos have to be marked as such. This is something I'll have to fix on my emails I think.
Also, all the rules on not spamming would apply.
My platform puts two authors in touch and allows for payment of the promo and scheduling. It's still up to the authors what they send, but if they send emails to people who have not agreed to receive them, they'll be breaking spam rules.

If you have never promoted other authors to your list on a regular basis, it is very important that you put thought into the best way to do it before you start. You can send an email to your list asking them to opt in or out of receiving such communications. You should also think of how you can present these promotions in a way that is attractive to readers.

Readers of active, popular genres are usually happy to receive book recommendations from authors.
They currently receive them from Amazon, Facebook ads, and marketing services. Receiving them from authors makes sense to most readers.
But you still have to come up with a way to present them with courtesy, in a way that is attractive to readers.
Things like Pick of the Day, or Weekly Reads or sponsored book of the day etc. are accepted by readers in romance so far. I'm sure in other genres readers would accept them too. If they took the time to subscribe to an author, they're indicating they like this genre and would like recommendations. But we can't take it for granted and once any of us starts accepting payment for book promos, we have to think of this new aspect of our business in a new way.
Obey the rules.
Apply the best practices.
Make our newsletters engaging.

Just like people buy fashion magazines for the ads as much as the articles, they can read our emails for the news on new books as well as the updates on our own writing progress.

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »
I should also say it's worth the effort.
As well as launching your own books higher, a list that sends daily book recommendations in an engaging manner is worth about $300 per month per 1,000 subs on the marketplace at the moment.

So if you're a serious author or self-publisher, it's a significant income stream to add to your business.

Offline jason2505

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 06:07:42 AM »
I have checked out your site and it's exactly what I need to take the next step with my publishing business - I love it! Especially the payment model is more than fair.

The only thing that irritates me is that the percentages of the open & click rates is very different between all the mailing providers, e.g. mailerlite seems to show always higher numbers than mailchimp, and convertkit doesn't show any - any advice on how to put these numbers in perspective?

Offline Chance_Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
I have checked out your site and it's exactly what I need to take the next step with my publishing business - I love it! Especially the payment model is more than fair.

The only thing that irritates me is that the percentages of the open & click rates is very different between all the mailing providers, e.g. mailerlite seems to show always higher numbers than mailchimp, and convertkit doesn't show any - any advice on how to put these numbers in perspective?

Yeah, I know. I hate that too.
Basically, what MailChimp considers an open rate or a click rate is very different to what MailerLite defines them as.
It's not a question of one being more accurate than the other, it's just their definition is different. Like I think MailerLite counts each and every click, while MailChimp only counts one click per user. I think MailerLite also represents the click rate as a percentage of the openers, rather than as a percentage of the list.
So if you send an email to 100 people, only 1 person opens it, and clicks it. That could be 100% click rate on Mailerlite! and 1% on Mailchimp.

All I can say is use the List Stats as a guideline, not an ultimate representation of the list's value.
Only compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
A Mailchimp click rate of 4.5% is better than a Mailchimp click rate of 4.1%, but you can't really compare it with a MailerLite click rate which could be something like 79%.

While this is far from perfect, you at least know these stats are being pulled directly from the API of MailChimp, MailerLite, etc, and not just the author's claims.

Also, there are many good reasons why someone's click rate might be higher or lower, that don't necessarily reflect the value of the list.
If I send a promo for one paid book daily, I'll have a lower click rate than someone who sends out lots of freebies, but it doesn't mean I'm worse at selling books. Just that my content is less clicky! Also, if I send out emails that don't call for a click, like a teaser chapter for my books, a bonus story in the email etc, it could be great for engagement while not creating clicks and thus lowering the click rate.

So as well as the stats, use the reputation of the author, and if you know and trust an author, take that into account too.

Offline josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »
Yeah, I know. I hate that too.
Basically, what MailChimp considers an open rate or a click rate is very different to what MailerLite defines them as.
It's not a question of one being more accurate than the other, it's just their definition is different. Like I think MailerLite counts each and every click, while MailChimp only counts one click per user. I think MailerLite also represents the click rate as a percentage of the openers, rather than as a percentage of the list.
So if you send an email to 100 people, only 1 person opens it, and clicks it. That could be 100% click rate on Mailerlite! and 1% on Mailchimp.

All I can say is use the List Stats as a guideline, not an ultimate representation of the list's value.
Only compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
A Mailchimp click rate of 4.5% is better than a Mailchimp click rate of 4.1%, but you can't really compare it with a MailerLite click rate which could be something like 79%.

While this is far from perfect, you at least know these stats are being pulled directly from the API of MailChimp, MailerLite, etc, and not just the author's claims.

Also, there are many good reasons why someone's click rate might be higher or lower, that don't necessarily reflect the value of the list.
If I send a promo for one paid book daily, I'll have a lower click rate than someone who sends out lots of freebies, but it doesn't mean I'm worse at selling books. Just that my content is less clicky! Also, if I send out emails that don't call for a click, like a teaser chapter for my books, a bonus story in the email etc, it could be great for engagement while not creating clicks and thus lowering the click rate.

So as well as the stats, use the reputation of the author, and if you know and trust an author, take that into account too.

Thank you for this explanation! I had no idea that MailChimp and MailerLite counted open and click rates so differently. I'm with MailChimp and I was looking at some of the stats for lists on your site with my mouth hanging open trying to figure out how on earth the authors were managing that. Now I feel lots better. :) 

Just wanted to add that I hope all the authors using this--and selecting which lists to work with--understand why the numbers are varying so much.

Offline Minelia Bevans

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
Hello, I see that the only payment option is through Stripe? Do you plan on integrating PayPal as a means of payment?

Offline josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »
How often do the list stats get updated? Just curious as I contemplate culling my list.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »
Here are my thoughts: I wouldn't want to promote someone else's book in my newsletter unless I'd actually read it and liked it.

However, that semi-ethics-related objection wouldn't stop me from paying someone else to promote my book [does that make me a bad person?? :) ].

So, I'm wondering whether I could sign up, but not accept books for promoting in my list??

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter