Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?
KB Featured
TBD
by TBD

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2016-01-12
Bestseller ranking: 757432

Product Description
With the odd disappearance of her parents, Gussie Gibson has lived her entire life with her granny on a peaceful pecan orchard, owned by the meanest man in all of Georgia—Mr. J.P. Combs. Granny teaches Gussie many valuable life lessons as a black woman growing up in the still-segregated south. Mr. Combs is an evil underhanded banker who takes liberties beyond his privilege. When Granny dies, Combs informs Gussie she owes him back rent—but he wants much more than money for payment—and more than Gussie can live with.
After defending herself against his sexual advances, Gussie flees to escape certain vigilante justice when she meets a charming, handsome stranger, Sam Johnson, who is just returning from World War II.
Gussie and Sam’s friendship is short-lived when Mr. Combs hunts her down and drags her back to Green Ridge, driven by his craving for revenge and a grudge too deep to comprehend. Gussie fights to return to Sam and his lo...

Author Topic: Welcome to September! New Books for Kindle First  (Read 489 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Welcome to September! New Books for Kindle First
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:15:59 AM »
Kindle First titles for September 2017 are live.

Only two caught my eye at first glance; again, the categories are just not my everyday reads. :( But I've read stuff by Andrew Mayne before and enjoyed it, so I went with

Reminder: one book may be had for free if you're a prime member, non prime member folks can get one for $1.99. All are otherwise released on October 1 and are generally available via KU and KOLL.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to September! New Books for Kindle First
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 06:05:56 AM »
I am torn between the suspense option of I Am Watching You and Whisper of The Moon Moth which is a fictionalised account of Merle Oberon's life. I notice this second one is only available on KF in the UK - as happens most month's now, a couple of the options are different between the US and the UK.

September Kindle First choices for UK readers
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:08:31 AM by Linjeakel »
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »
I am torn between the suspense option of I Am Watching You and Whisper of The Moon Moth which is a fictionalised account of Merle Oberon's life. I notice this second one is only available on KF in the UK - as happens most month's now, a couple of the options are different between the US and the UK.

September Kindle First choices for UK readers

Back in 1987, Michael Korda wrote Queenie, also a fictionalized account of Merle Oberon's life. She was married to his uncle, Alexander Korda so it might be more accurate than this Kindle First version.

I really enjoyed the book back then, although I don't know if I would today. If the ebook was available, and reasonably priced, I might pick it up.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:27:25 AM »
Back in 1987, Michael Korda wrote Queenie, also a fictionalized account of Merle Oberon's life. She was married to his uncle, Alexander Korda so it might be more accurate than this Kindle First version.

I really enjoyed the book back then, although I don't know if I would today. If the ebook was available, and reasonably priced, I might pick it up.

It does stress that this is a fictionlised account of her life - a novel rather than a biography - but I decided to go with it after discovering that my other choice is written in the present tense - an automatic no-no for me.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
It does stress that this is a fictionlised account of her life - a novel rather than a biography - but I decided to go with it after discovering that my other choice is written in the present tense - an automatic no-no for me.

Yes, Queenie is also a fictionalized account. I think I would like to read a biography.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »
I went with Mad City, despite the mixed reviews.