Author Topic: Looking for post-apocalyptic, monster novels...  (Read 288 times)  

Offline TStraker

• View Profile
Looking for post-apocalyptic, monster novels...
« on: September 02, 2017, 09:03:41 PM »
Hi!

My next book is going to be a post-apocalyptic horror novel with a completely new and different monster in it. I'd like to read a few novels myself before I write the first draft just to have the vibe of these topics going already in my mind, as it is a bit of a stretch for me - which makes it exciting. I'd like to  see how other authors handle the topics I will be writing about. I don't want to use zombies unless they are a minor part of the world I am creating - possible, but not my focus. I know the basic story already.

So If any of you have any favourite post apocalyptic books without zombies, or monster books - preferably with a sci-fi feel to them - would you please let me know.

I hope this makes sense. Very tired :)  Any help would be appreciated.

T. Straker

Online WC John

• View Profile
Re: Looking for post-apocalyptic, monster novels...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:07:25 AM »
TStraker hi.

If it were me, I'd have a look at the likes of Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, or One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Then start the writing, feeling your way along with the characters and settings. See what comes out the burnt and rotting woodwork, so to speak.

I enjoyed both those books.

Sorry if I may have actually missed the gist of your actual question.

Good luck on your next project  :)

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
I rather like "Monster Hunter" series by Larry Correia but it is definitely not postapocalyptic. Those books work because the characters are very likeable and the author concentrates on what he knows, so even though monsters of all sorts are involved there is a certain level of authenticity - if that makes sense :)

Offline Galaxy Dog

• Venice (Italy)
  • Brett Fitzpatrick
    • View Profile
    • BrettFitzpatrick.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:59:26 AM »
Are we talking huge Cthulhu type monsters, classic Wolfman type monsters, or mechanical Terminator style killer robots?

Brett Fitzpatrick | Website