Author Topic: Pronoun, pros and cons, current experiences  (Read 2790 times)  

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
Re: Pronoun, pros and cons, current experiences
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »
Does anyone know how long it takes a price change to go through Pronoun to Amazon? I just listed a box set with Pronoun and I'd like to get a 99 cent Bookbub, then raise the price while the ranking is good.

I changed a few last weekend and they went through in a matter of hours, not much longer than in KDP directly.

Online Morgan Worth

• View Profile
    • Professional Beta-Reading/Manuscript Critique Services
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »
I changed a few last weekend and they went through in a matter of hours, not much longer than in KDP directly.

Thanks, Bob!
Professional Beta-Reading/Manuscript Critique Services: https://www.mybetareader.com/
I'm an avid reader in many genres, including Children's and YA. Check out my rates and preferences at my website. :)

Offline ZsofiaMacho

• London
    • View Profile
    • PublishDrive
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:52 PM »

Hi! I like your chart, but I was wondering if there was a reason you left BN and Smash off of it? Also, you list publishing direct on Amazon thru KDP as being exclusive, but it's only exclusive if you enroll in the KU program

Hi, thank you for your comments, you are absolutely right! There is no reason for leaving them out other than lack of space. Working on a more thorough guide for the PublishDrive blog which will include them. (And will handle distributors and aggregators separately.)
Content Marketer at PublishDrive

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2017, 04:01:44 PM »
Hi, thank you for your comments, you are absolutely right! There is no reason for leaving them out other than lack of space. Working on a more thorough guide for the PublishDrive blog which will include them. (And will handle distributors and aggregators separately.)

Thanks! Would you mind linking that guide once it's up? I'm in KU at the moment but I know a lot of us are eagerly anticipating what the 15th is going to bring to make some decisions.

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
Well, it's Thursday. Still no stats.

I'm sorry but I just can't see how someone can properly organize a launch week (promo sites, contest, FB/Amazon/AdWords/etc. ads and so on) with Pronoun. It's a marketing nightmare.

If your book is just "set it and forget it" then sure, you can live with this. But I assume a lot of people on KBoards are using Pronoun so as to receive 70% for $0.99 books. I'll go ahead and also assume they'll at least be stacking promos so as to maximize results with this $0.99 thingy. Maybe even paid ads. Without half-decent stats at your disposal... good luck with that :(

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
I've now had about 8 books in Pronoun for a week.

In regards to Amazon:

I uploaded the .mobi files Amazon had previously generated for the books and they took them as is.

I had to send an email about transferring reviews and recreating the series, but that was resolved in about a day.

Updates occur very quickly, both prices and things like categories, really not much longer than using KDP.

One big difference in choosing two categories, you seem to be picking real Amazon categories, and not like in KDP where the choices often don't seem to match categories in the store itself. Plus, you get in subcategories with keywords, etc, just like with KDP. If anything, I think my books are ultimately listed in more categories than they were in KDP.

The only negative to using Pronoun instead of KDP non-Select is that you can't use AMS ads.

The positive is across the board 70% payout and ability to make a book free whenever you want.

The non-Amazon channels:

These work about the same as D2D. Also, customer service is as responsive and as friendly as at D2D.

I would say that their interface, though easy to use, is a little inferior to D2D. I think they make heavy use of Javascript and that often is less dependable than simpler forms. For instance, the link to delist a book from a vendor doesn't show up on my books for some reason. 

Categories at the other vendors are also inferior to D2D. They send the same Amazon categories (or some derivative of them) to the other retailers. These may or may not match the retailers. So my books at Kobo through Pronoun are in just one or two categories. Through D2D, they were in three.

I think both Pronoun and D2D would be improved if they optionally let you choose vendor specific categories, if you wanted to go to the trouble.

Overall:
The reporting is slower, but that really isn't a big deal to me.

Offline ZsofiaMacho

• London
    • View Profile
    • PublishDrive
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 01:00:24 AM »

Thanks! Would you mind linking that guide once it's up? I'm in KU at the moment but I know a lot of us are eagerly anticipating what the 15th is going to bring to make some decisions.

Here we go: https://publishdrive.com/ebook-publishing-platforms/ For ease of use we decided to include only publishing platforms and leave stores out.
Content Marketer at PublishDrive