KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Slow Draining Tub  (Read 349 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Slow Draining Tub
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »
Any recommendations for cleaning out the drain.  It's very s l o w.  Slower than usual lately.  I NEVER in my 32 years in this condo have let hair go down the drain.  Tried a plunger as someone in the building recommended.  He said black gunk would come up.  No.  Maybe draining a little better.  Bleach.  On the web found baking soda, vinegar, boiling water.  Looks like that should work.  Try it tomorrow.  Any other recommendations?

Few months ago I found TubShroom on Amazon.  Great job of catching hair.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Draining Tub
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »
Gonna have to try that tub shroom. I use one of those things that goes over the thingie. It has to be up in my case, mine has a knob. Not describing this well I think.  ;D. My drain plug has a knob so I have to find those drain catchers that have a area going up, not down. I have hair going down to my waist, I have to use those things.

But, even with those, I guess gunk and hair still goes in and I have to use these things every few months.

They have like sharp teeth on them. you stick it in all the way and when you pull it out, it takes all that hair that I guess got through my drain cover thingie. Maybe that shroom thing will work better for me.

Otherwise, its probably not on your end, but further down the drain pipe. I live in apartments, so I know that whatever neighbors do comes back to me. We just had a clog because some **** put grease down and we had sewage pouring out the side of the building as the pipes just push it out. Right below my front door. Ugh. its fixed now, but it made everything flow really slow.

Do try the baking soda and vinegar first though, its least toxic and you aren't out of much money. I always buy white vinegar in gallon jugs as we have really hard water. I buy my baking soda in 13 lbs bags too. I clean my disposal with those 2 items mostly.

Now I am going to check out the shroom to see if it works with my weird bathtub plug.

eta; its not going to work. My plug thing doesn't come out, its built in and I can only open and close it. Its why its so hard to keep it clean under there. I have to turn to open and turn to close. but it won't come out, I tried. So back to the drawing board for me.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
I've done the baking soda, vinegar, hot water thing twice.  Used the plunger more.  Still no black gunk came up.  Maybe a little better. 

Maybe it's draining as fast as possible?  How fast should a tub drain?  When I have the drain open and turn on water with a good stream, tub starts filling.  Should it?  When I turn off water, it d r a i n s. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:20:02 AM by Sandpiper »

Online WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:49:26 PM »
No matter how much you try to avoid it, hair will still get down there and collect. (Trust me, I know. I have long hair.) Even if it is just a strand or two, it builds up over time.

At Lowe's (probably Home Depot, too) they sell this plastic thing call a "Zip-It". It is a long, yellow, plastic thing with teeth (they are sharp!) on it that you shove down the drain as far as you can work it, and then pull it out again. The sharp teeth grab onto all the junk that has built up in the drain and drags it out. It'll look you you pulled out half a decomposing horse. It's that disgusting. I recommend thick rubber gloves. Also, unscrew and remove the drain cover before you stick the zip-it into it. It is incredibly difficult to pull it out through the little holes in the drain cover when the thing is loaded with junk.

Otherwise, use a drain cleaner such as Draino. But make sure it says it dissolves hair on the bottle or it will be useless. The drain decloggers for the kitchen are formulated for grease. You need the stuff formulated for dissolving hair to use in the bathroom. A friend of mine who is a contractor suggests pouring very hot (near boiling) water down the drain when it starts to clear. He also recommends you pour a bit of the clog dissolver into the drain about once a week or so for a while to make sure all the crap is really cleaned out.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
Fifty year old building.  Old tub drain.  A metal criss-cross 1.5" below tub level and 1.5" in diameter.  Can't be removed.  More than just tiny holes to poke something down and pull up.  I'm across the street from a good Ace Hardware.  Check there tomorrow for more stuff.

I'm surprised nothing bubbled up when I put baking soda, vinegar, and hot / boiling water in the drain three times today. Then used plunger.  More bleach.  Nothing came up.  ???

ETA:  Looked at a couple Youtubes.  I do have some fancy long needle-nose plier kinda thing.  Skinny and long enough to go through quarter sections of drain cover.  YEP.  Hair.  Gunk.  One Youtube plumber said sodium hydroxide followed by boiling water.  I'll go to Ace tomorrow and get whatever.  Another dose of baking soda, vinegar, and hot water tonight.  Tub is draining much faster.  Now when I put pliers in drain, doesn't feel like there's anything more in there -- can't grab anything more.

That would be 32 years of hair that I didn't catch.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:32:25 PM by Sandpiper »

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »
Home from Ace.  They didn't have long skinny needle-nose pliers.  Have same kinda thing I do already, but short.  Did get a Zip-It and this.

Should be good now.  Thank you, WDR.  :)

ETA:  :)  Got the Zip-It down the drain.  Brought up literally two hairs.  Used the chemical drain cleaner.  All good.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:36:41 AM by Sandpiper »

Online WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:17:25 AM »
Glad it worked out!
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon