KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Youtube won't embed with Pale Moon  (Read 690 times)  

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Youtube won't embed with Pale Moon
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »
I recently switched from Firefox to Pale Moon.  I've discovered that I can't embed youtube videos in posts here.  They don't even show up in the previewer.  I've turned off the ad-blocking stuff, too, so it's not that.  Video plug-ins are enabled.  When I go to the actual youtube site, everything works normally.  I can still embed in posts here using Firefox, so it's definitely a browser issue.  Youtube doesn't support every browser's referrer heading, so I turned off the referrer function, thinking that might do the trick.  Still can't embed.  My best guess is that there's either some other youtube-related thing that won't let me embed, or kboards simply isn't set up with Pale Moon in mind.

This isn't an emergency or anything--if I feel the need to embed a video, I'll just use Firefox--but it's something the tech crew might want to look into.  Once Firefox breaks all the legacy add-ons, which I think is supposed to happen in November, then I expect Pale Moon users to increase in numbers. 

Thanks in advance.  :)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube won't embed with Pale Moon
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:39:43 AM »
Can't speak to the browser you're using as I've never heard of it. But I do know that others have had trouble if the link they're trying to embed is https vs http.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:09:07 PM »
I always delete the "s," so that's not it.  I wish it was.   :(

Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox.  Here's the important (to me, anyway) part, according to Wikipedia:

Pale Moon is an open-source web browser with an emphasis on customizability; its motto is "Your browser, Your way".[8] There are official releases for both Microsoft Windows and Linux,[8] an unofficial build for macOS,[3] and contributed builds for various platforms.[4]

Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox with substantial divergence, especially for add-ons and user interface. In particular, Pale Moon will continue to support the long-standing XUL and XPCOM add-on capability that Firefox has deprecated and will remove entirely in version 57.[9][10][11] Pale Moon has also retained the fully customizable user interface of the Firefox version 428 era,[9] while updating other parts of the browser with newer Firefox source code.[12]

I like the add-ons, and I hate that Mozilla is going in the direction they're going.  I'd continue using Firefox if I could, but without the power of my favorite add-ons, it's no better--and arguably worse--than any other browser out there.  So I switched to Pale Moon.  I may yet switch again if I keep having issues like this youtube embed thing.  We'll see, I guess.   :(

Anyway, thanks for the response, Ann.   :)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
You can just embed the video id within the youtube tags here. So for this link:
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B811hcPkwE...just pull out the value after the "v=", and stick it between the tags:
[youtube]3B811hcPkwE[/youtube]

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »
You can just embed the video id within the youtube tags here. So for this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B811hcPkwE...just pull out the value after the "v=", and stick it between the tags:
[youtube]3B811hcPkwE[/youtube]

I just gave it a try.  Still not working for me, I'm afraid.  :(  For now, it looks like I'll just stick to Firefox.  I've got until mid-November to find a solution to my add-on problem.  Maybe one will present itself.  I'm considering giving Waterfox a try.  Not sure if that's the way to go or not.   :-\

I appreciate the help, though.  Thanks, NogDog.  And props for linking to a kid doing DCI stuff.  That's awesome.   ;D  I love seeing kids getting into DCI like that.  Warms the soul.

I'm writing this post in Firefox, not Pale Moon, which means I can embed, so I'll see your Blue Coats vid and raise you some old-school SCV.   8)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEE3ju6MFcI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEE3ju6MFcI</a>

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 05:46:26 PM »
Guess I misunderstood the crux of the problem...I just remembered there was an issue with the youtube tag here dealing with https instead of http for links, and the "easy" work-around. :)

There have been complaints for years now about Flash being a security hole, so don't know if that's your browser issue? I've been using Firefox for a long time now as my primary browser and so far have not had any issues in that regard, but now it won't run Google Meet, so I have to use Chrome for that. *sigh*

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
Guess I misunderstood the crux of the problem...I just remembered there was an issue with the youtube tag here dealing with https instead of http for links, and the "easy" work-around. :)

There have been complaints for years now about Flash being a security hole, so don't know if that's your browser issue? I've been using Firefox for a long time now as my primary browser and so far have not had any issues in that regard, but now it won't run Google Meet, so I have to use Chrome for that. *sigh*

Yeah, it's a browser issue.  Firefox works fine with kboards as far as Youtube embedding goes.  Pale Moon, not so much.  I don't know where the problem is, though.  It could be Youtube not being configured properly for Pale Moon, in which case there's nothing kboards can do about it.  Or it could be that kboards isn't configured for Pale Moon, in which case the kboards tech crew might be interested in playing around with possible fixes for it.  *shrug*

For now, I'm sticking with Firefox.  It'll continue to be "updated" by the people at Mozilla, which means it will continue to break things and sow frustration among users, but there doesn't seem to be a better option.   :(

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 05:49:57 PM »
Yep - a browser issue. I was trying to use Opera tonight (which I thought was pretty mainstream) & could not get Youtube to embed. Once I logged into Kboards over on Firefox, embedding went off without any hitch at all.
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!