KB Featured
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Amazon seeking to build second HQ and add 50,000 jobs  (Read 1501 times)  

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
Re: Amazon seeking to build second HQ and add 50,000 jobs
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
We've had 100 MBPS available in our small town for several years and yet no new businesses have come in. If you're in a town or along the highway, internet is not really an issue here. Finding a job that comes with health insurance around here is like finding a needle in a haystack, even if you have an advanced degree. The job I had here paid me $12/hr no benefits and I have a master's degree. The owner of the company kept telling me how good of a job it was and how lucky I was to work there if I ever complained about anything or asked for a raise. Not to mention all the meth-making that goes on (my neighbor - a public school teacher at that - got busted awhile back). I'd leave, but my partner doesn't want to, and I can't afford to on my own right now. I'll stop here before this sounds like a country song.
Alas, your tale is one I've heard before, except all the educated people leave my state for greener pastures--even though times are still tough elsewhere. Meanwhile, our state has become a leader in opioid and heroin abuse.

Amazon will brighten some state's employment situation, and maybe that will help some people.

Offline Sonya Bateman

• Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 07:33:12 PM »
Some criteria worth noting:

• within 45 minutes of an international airport
  • near a "strong university system"
  • population above 1 million (do they mean the city itself or does the metro area count too? ETA: Amazon means metro area.)
  • "highly educated labor pool"

Hey, that's almost my area (Syracuse, NY) except for the metro population (662K). People around here would line up for miles to get a job there.

Guess that's true about every area now, though.
Credentials: I used to write stuff.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
Hey, that's almost my area (Syracuse, NY) except for the metro population (662K). People around here would line up for miles to get a job there.

Guess that's true about every area now, though.

Central New York, my old stomping grounds.    8)
Jena

Offline DanaFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
I was thinking they should do Memphis, but then I remembered it is a Fed Ex hub, not a UPS hub. Louisville KY has a UPS hub. (I note that because I think Amazon ships mostly UPS, which has a deal to deliver to the local post office, which then does the door to door delivery.)

Memphis has ... an Ikea, an int'l airport, a strong university system (at least for medicine), metro pop of 1.3 million. I don't know about highly educated labor pool if you exclude medical personnel. It's way cheaper than say Nashville.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »
Some criteria worth noting:

• within 45 minutes of an international airport
  • near a "strong university system"
  • population above 1 million (do they mean the city itself or does the metro area count too? ETA: Amazon means metro area.)
  • "highly educated labor pool"

If I had to place a bet, I'd say somewhere in Texas.

Nooooooo!
And again, Please, not here.
Please, not here.
Please, not here.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »
It's great that Amazon employs people but at least try to treat them like human beings.

On second thought, does Amazon hire 16 year olds? Cause they're like human beings. I've got one who needs a full time job so she'll rethink having no interest in college.
If so, maybe here. Maybe here. Maybe here, lol.

Offline Sonya Bateman

• Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
Central New York, my old stomping grounds.    8)

North Carolina is definitely an upgrade from here, weather-wise. :) Soon it'll be time to hole up here until April or so...
Credentials: I used to write stuff.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 05:53:16 AM »
All the Phoenix news dorks are all atwitter that the new Amazon thing is coming to the great state of Maricopa (southern Arizona.)