KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Does writing make you happy? It does me . . .  (Read 1117 times)  

Offline Ronn Munsterman

• Iowa
    • View Profile
    • The Official Site of Ronn Munsterman and Sgt. Thomas Dunn
Does writing make you happy? It does me . . .
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
I just published my newest book last Wednesday, so I've been feeling pretty happy. Today, just five days later, I finished plotting the next book! I've never had the fortune of completing that task so quickly in the 14 years I've been writing novels.

I recall an author (I believe Stephen King mentions him in his book On Writing) who was a postman in England. He wrote for exactly two hours every morning before work. When he hit two hours he left for work. If he finished a book before the two hours was up, he started on the next one! Incredible.

Tell us something about your writing that made you happy recently.

Ronn Munsterman | Website | Blog

Offline Gabriella West

• San Francisco, CA
  • LGBT fiction and memoir
    • View Profile
    • GabriellaWest.net
Re: Does writing make you happy? It does me . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
I put a new book on preorder on the Zon :) It's "A Knight's Tale" in my sig. Friends were sweet about it on Facebook--I have a small cheering section there. So that felt good.

Yes, there are the happy times. And then anxiety soon follows, in my experience...

Congrats on your book, too!

I copyedit, too, at Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
IMHO, writing should be fun! Stress will come at some point, but you should try to have fun and write stories that you find entertaining/interesting.

Now, going back to revise my work isn't fun at all.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:07:53 PM by D. Zollicoffer »

Offline Gabriella West

• San Francisco, CA
  • LGBT fiction and memoir
    • View Profile
    • GabriellaWest.net
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »
It's the publishing part that's stressful...

I copyedit, too, at Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline Nic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »
Writing isn't fun for me. Having written is. The writing process is excruciating.

Offline CarolynVMurray

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »
Anthony Trollope - was the postal revolutionary (he pretty much invented mailboxes)/author. He certainly showed that a full-time job doesn't have to hold you back. (He also had a wife who typed up all his writings, and had a hot meal and a clean house waiting for him every day.) I think writing probably made him happy.
Carolyn V. Murray | Website

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
What made me super happy was finishing my 100k book right in time to give it to my hubby for his birthday present. He was stoked to get it since nobody had ever given him something like that before. I was positively gleeful to actually finish a book that size. Now I'm just waiting for a few more people to return feedback and that sucka will be published.

I was also super happy when I got feedback on my eclipse story (people loved it) and published it. I'm now a published author. Talk about awesome. :)

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »
Writing isn't fun for me. Having written is. The writing process is excruciating.

Exactly. Though polishing a story is kind of fun.

Offline WC John

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
IMHO, writing should be fun! Stress will come at some point, but you should try to have fun and write stories that you find entertaining/interesting.

That's the way I look at it.
I hear about writing to market, but that just doesn't sound like fun.

Anthony Trollope - was the postal revolutionary (he pretty much invented mailboxes)/author. He certainly showed that a full-time job doesn't have to hold you back. (He also had a wife who typed up all his writings, and had a hot meal and a clean house waiting for him every day.) I think writing probably made him happy.
Yes, he had quite a life outside of writing as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Trollope

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
Several parts make me happy. I absolutely love:

• Making a book cover
  • Constructing a blurb
  • Writing the first scene

My stumbling block is that connection to the rest of the story after the first scene. I'm a panster. The trouble lasts for a few hours and I detest that period of time.

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »
A good writing day today; the words flowed, and that's always golden. A scene I'd never planned where a young woman, on the heels of butt-kicking behavior for several chapters, digs out her recently dead dog's favorite stuffed toy and clings to it when she's upset. And I really am liking the long arc--six books, I think--and how I'm planting stuff that will all come together and pay off in Book 6. That ends up being super-fun for me, the foreshadowing and Chekov's gunnening (made up word) of this draft. That's just today.

I like a lot of it. Hate marketing, and I get very weary on the last (proofreading) pass and growl a little then, but otherwise, it's the best job ever.

Compared to some things I've done (serving slop to fellow college students in at dorm, working the night shift at Jack in the Box and having to hear the "jackcoffee" joke from drunks about 25 times every night, limbing trees with an ax, working dull office jobs for bosses far stupider than I), really, this is heaven!

Offline Rosie A.

• America
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 07:13:12 PM »
I get grumpy if I go a few days without writing. I start to get frustrated and my husband will gently ask, "Did you write today?" Ha!

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »
how about this instead... For about a month now life has been insanely busy because of unexpected things and I haven't had a chance to write. It's made me realize that for most people all they experience is a never ending series of "to do's"... They never really get to block out the world they are in and spend time in another.  Sure, reading or movies are sort of a distraction, but writing is beyond that (it takes you completely out of the reality around you).

I can't wait to get back to writing in a few weeks. I've had my fill of reality.   ;D

Offline xprettyguardianx

• Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »
I have a blast with the world building part. I put my book up on kindle scout and now it's giving me horrible anxiety. Like I think I'm going to get ulcers.

Offline Julian Coleman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »
Tell us something about your writing that made you happy recently.

When I type, The End, and say -- now get out of my head!

Writing keeps me sane.
Julian M. Coleman | Facebook | Primary Website | Website | Newsletter | Instagram | Pinterest

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »

This.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Paul_Curtin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 06:00:49 AM »

This describes my feeling toward writing so much. About 20 percent of my writing time is inspired and feels great. The other times, it's a slog. But it feels great when I'm done.

Now I'm in this rut where I have not written anything for a month, and I feel weighed down by it, which is reinforcing the cycle of not wanting to write, and making me feel more terrible about not doing it. Textbook vicious cycle.

Paul Curtin | Website | Twitter

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 06:08:30 AM »
There's fun and there's satisfying.

Writing is fun (but hard, too). Getting done is satisfying.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 06:09:38 AM »
Even though Ive always wanted to be a writer, this writing gig is not good for my mental health. It brings up bad memories from my past which is making me stay awake at night.   :'(

It seems I'm over-thinking about everything too.

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 06:15:20 AM »
I like a lot of it. Hate marketing, and I get very weary on the last (proofreading) pass and growl a little then, but otherwise, it's the best job ever.

Compared to some things I've done (serving slop to fellow college students in at dorm, working the night shift at Jack in the Box and having to hear the "jackcoffee" joke from drunks about 25 times every night, limbing trees with an ax, working dull office jobs for bosses far stupider than I), really, this is heaven!

I'll bet many men on this board have had jobs that were gruesome, grueling, and maybe even dangerous. Indie publishing has become an emancipator for some of them.

It's a great time to be alive.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 06:21:40 AM »
how about this instead... For about a month now life has been insanely busy because of unexpected things and I haven't had a chance to write. It's made me realize that for most people all they experience is a never ending series of "to do's"... They never really get to block out the world they are in and spend time in another.  Sure, reading or movies are sort of a distraction, but writing is beyond that (it takes you completely out of the reality around you).

I can't wait to get back to writing in a few weeks. I've had my fill of reality.   ;D

You said what I was going to! The last two years for me has been a series of family crises and too much busy-ness. I'm so done with it. I try very hard to guard my writing time, but when one of your kids is going through a tumultuous time, the cat is on death's doorstep, and the rain won't stop so there is constant yardwork to do ... yeah, doesn't quite happen. Some people may be able to shut out all the distractions, but I'm not one of them. And my spouse doesn't get why I'm feeling perpetual anxiety. :-/

So when I'm productively writing, I'm happy. Because life is in balance and that part of me that needs to be creative has an outlet. And I'm doing what I love most. Not just what needs to get done.

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline Skip Knox

• Richland, Washington
    • View Profile
    • Altearth
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »

"I hate writing, I love having written." - Dorothy Parker

True things persist and are rediscovered by new generations.

Offline Kayla Drake

• View Profile
    • Kayla Drake Books
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
Yes, writing makes me happy! Except for when it makes me a little crazy! :P

The happy outweighs the crazy by a lot, though, and when it makes me crazy, I just clean something until I know how to solve the problem. Nothing like a little elbow grease to unstick the gears!

Kayla

Offline Allyson J.

• South Carolina, USA
  • Writer. Traveler. Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • AllysonJeleyne.com
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
Writing is not always fun, but I find it deeply satisfying. I wouldn't be happy doing anything else.

Victorian, Edwardian, and Jazz Age romance
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Mailing List

Online AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
I love writing, which is probably why I've been writing fiction in one form or another since high school. It never gets old and only gets better for me!  ;D

I finished revisions for my novelette Hell On Wheels a few weeks ago, and I had a blast writing and revising that one. Now it's finally up for pre-order, but I still smile when I think about the story. I can't wait to write the next one in that series (though need to focus on a sequel novel for another series first).

And the periods in my life where I couldn't write, well those were wretched. I'm a much happier person when I'm writing!  :P
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 18%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing