KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Does writing make you happy? It does me . . .  (Read 1116 times)  

Online Harvey Click

• View Profile
Re: Does writing make you happy? It does me . . .
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »
Writing isn't fun for me. Having written is. The writing process is excruciating.

Amen.

Harvey Click

Offline melodybremen

• My computer's name is Oswald
    • View Profile
    • MelodyBremen.com
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 04:11:14 PM »
Writing makes me happy. Editing does not.

Melody J. Bremen | website | newsletter

Offline Pacman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Leo Nix
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 04:17:43 PM »
I do therapy with people every day, writing is my therapy :)

It can't get any better than that.

post-apocalypse anyone?
Leo Nix | web

Online VanessaC

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »
I generally love writing, though it's still a hobby for me.

My least favourite part of the process was always editing, in any form - I used to dread it.  The discovery of Rachel Aaron's editing posts opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at editing and actually I now really enjoy the structural / developmental editing and knocking the story into shape.

My new least favourite part is the line editing and proofreading. All those dozens, or hundreds, of tiny little tweaks and changes.  Yes, it makes the whole thing so much better, but the process is just nasty.

One of the things I most like about writing is the little moments of inspiration - I've had a few tricky plot points recently where I know that what I've written just isn't right, and I'll be doing something completely different - driving, walking the dog, petting the cat - when suddenly the solution will pop into my head.  Love it!

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »
It depends where I'm at. The physical act of writing is about 50/50 for me. Working on the beginning of a novel or a particularly exciting scenes I absolutely love. It's thrilling to get it down on paper and getting it out of my head. Working my way through plot-holes and action scenes are the worst and I craw through them with dread. But all the other stuff? Outlining? Character building? Seeing it all come together and winding up with that final book? That definitely tips the scales and what pushes me to continue despite the hard parts. I may not always love writing, but I love storytelling. 
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline Ashly Kim

• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • overcaffeinated mama bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Creating worlds and characters is my jam.  Actually getting it down on paper (or document, whatever) is usually torture.  I've been experimenting with dictation which has helped some.  I can usually see the whole story in my mind and it makes me giddy to think about it, but I struggle typing it from beginning to end. 
Places Where Volcanoes Sleep: 40%
Ashly Kim | Twittter | Goodreads | Instagram

Offline Kyle Alexander Romines

• Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 10:33:07 AM »
I honestly think I'm addicted to writing. If I go too long in between books, I start getting antsy. For every idea I'm able to get down on paper, two more take its place.

As others have said, it's the editing I hate, mainly for two reasons. First, I have a strange aversion to reading my own stuff. It's a real hangup. Second, as soon as I finish a manuscript, I can't wait to get started on the next book. Editing, in contrast, is a lot less fun. 
The Vengeance of the Crows : 100%
Kyle Alexander Romines | Goodreads | Amazon | Newsletter

Online Stacy Claflin

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
Writing makes me extremely happy! Except when it doesn't. I hate it when writing scenes is like pulling teeth. Using tweezers.

Overall, I'm much happier when my writing is going well. The other day I couldn't figure out why I was happier than usual but eventually, I realized the connection between my lifted mood and how easily my writing had been recently.

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Online Harvey Click

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »
Working my way through plot-holes and action scenes are the worst and I craw through them with dread.   

Action scenes are the hardest, especially when they're set outdoors and complicated terrain is important to the action. I can write scenes all day long of characters gabbing, but action scenes make me sweat blood.

Harvey Click