Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?
KB Featured
TBD
by TBD

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2016-01-12
Bestseller ranking: 757432

Product Description
With the odd disappearance of her parents, Gussie Gibson has lived her entire life with her granny on a peaceful pecan orchard, owned by the meanest man in all of Georgia—Mr. J.P. Combs. Granny teaches Gussie many valuable life lessons as a black woman growing up in the still-segregated south. Mr. Combs is an evil underhanded banker who takes liberties beyond his privilege. When Granny dies, Combs informs Gussie she owes him back rent—but he wants much more than money for payment—and more than Gussie can live with.
After defending herself against his sexual advances, Gussie flees to escape certain vigilante justice when she meets a charming, handsome stranger, Sam Johnson, who is just returning from World War II.
Gussie and Sam’s friendship is short-lived when Mr. Combs hunts her down and drags her back to Green Ridge, driven by his craving for revenge and a grudge too deep to comprehend. Gussie fights to return to Sam and his lo...

Author Topic: RIP Jerry Pournelle  (Read 494 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
RIP Jerry Pournelle
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »
He died in his sleep on Friday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/09/11/science-fiction-writer-jerry-pournelle-offered-fact-based-hope-future-glenn-reynolds-column/651515001/

He definitely ranks amongst my favorite science fiction authors, both for his own work, and especially for his collaborations with Larry Niven. The Mote in God's Eye was surely his best work, IMO, but I also liked Lucifer's Hammer, and especially Footfall, his attempt (with Niven) to develop a realistic alien invasion story that took real-world limitations into account.

He also wrote a technology column in  BYTE magazine that was required reading for me for many years.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Jerry Pournelle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:48:47 PM »
He will be missed as one of the greats. I have a couple of copies of Byte magazine that I treasure because of his columns. R.I.P. Jerry.

A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
A.G. Kimbrough

Online NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »
Definitely read a fair number of his books back in the day, both with Niven and some of his military sci-fi stuff. I think my favorite is "inferno", oddly enough.

Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
NO! I admired him so much.....such a great writer and commentator/opinion leader. His articles and pieces were great. Chaos Manor was one of the first great blogs

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:06:33 PM by Chad Winters »

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »
NO! I admired him so much.....such a great writer and commentator/opinion leader. His articles and pieces were great. Chaos Manor was one of the first great blogs

I'd forgotten about that, but yes, he claimed Chaos Manor was the first blog (he liked the term "web salon").

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
 Ouch! We lose another good one! This is the first I heard about it. :(
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Galaxy Dog

• Venice (Italy)
  • Brett Fitzpatrick
    • View Profile
    • BrettFitzpatrick.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:57:05 AM »
He was a product of his time, with views to match, but any loss of a sci-fi author is a sad occasion.

R.I.P

Brett Fitzpatrick | Website

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
Dang!  This is also the first time I have heard of it as well.  I always flipped to his articles first in Byte, among others.  I have admired his work for a long time.  He will be missed.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
He will be missed. Many of his books were staple reading in my youth. I should re-read a few in his honor this weekend.
The Last Starbase: 10%

The 100 Prequel: 15%

Revenge of the Spiders: 100%
Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB