KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Paperback shipping  (Read 395 times)  

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
Paperback shipping
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:13:39 PM »
Okay, here's the situation. I ordered two copies of my book, Into The Wishing Well, straight off the CreateSpace page on September 4th and they should arrive here tomorrow (13th), so we're talking 9 days. On Satuday, the 9th, I went ahead and ordered a copy of the same book from Amazon and I received it today (12th), not even three full days later.

My question is, how did Amazon get me my book in less than three days (no, I'm not a member of Prime and didn't ask for express shipping) and the order directly from CreateSpace will take a week and a half? All books will be printed by CreateSpace, so how did Amazon swing this? I can't imagine they have a few copies of my book laying around, waiting for orders to come in.

Oh, and I just ordered three more copies directly from CreateSpace today to use for giveaways and they're giving me an estimated delivery date of October 2nd, almost three weeks from now.
In The Mist - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2: 11%

City of Time: 29%

In The Beginning - Pale Riders, Inc. Book #1: 77%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\'s blog | My artist\\\'s blog

Online Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Paperback shipping
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
Amazon is magic.

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
Okay, I just looked at the label on the book I received today and it says it came from the fulfillment center in North Las Vegas. I live in Las Vegas, so the speed of delivery is understandable. What I don't get is, do they really have my book in stock at the fulfillment center? I thought with POD, the book got printed when an order came in. Hmmmm, I'm baffled.   ???

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »
Amazon is magic.

I'm surprised they didn't have a freakin' drone fly it to my doorstep.  ;)

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• Helping you reach your publishing goals since 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »
What I don't get is, do they really have my book in stock at the fulfillment center? I thought with POD, the book got printed when an order came in.
Quite a few Amazon fulfillment centers have POD equipment on site, so they can print POD books to order. This seems to be the case in the North Las Vegas center.
Providing editing and book design services to independent authors
Sarah Holroyd | Sleeping Cat Books | Sleeping Cat Press | discussion

Offline NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »
Okay, here's the situation. I ordered two copies of my book, Into The Wishing Well, straight off the CreateSpace page on September 4th and they should arrive here tomorrow (13th), so we're talking 9 days. On Satuday, the 9th, I went ahead and ordered a copy of the same book from Amazon and I received it today (12th), not even three full days later.

My question is, how did Amazon get me my book in less than three days (no, I'm not a member of Prime and didn't ask for express shipping) and the order directly from CreateSpace will take a week and a half? All books will be printed by CreateSpace, so how did Amazon swing this? I can't imagine they have a few copies of my book laying around, waiting for orders to come in.

Oh, and I just ordered three more copies directly from CreateSpace today to use for giveaways and they're giving me an estimated delivery date of October 2nd, almost three weeks from now.

I actually know the answer to this.... They already had one printed.

When you add a paperback, they automatically print one. It does two things, it creates a product to ship ASAP when the first one is sold. It also confirms that the book actually can be printed, and thus sold.
This first book ships super fast, then they print another one and have it sit and wait.

So here's how to hack this: Don't order 10 books at a time.
Order 1 then order 9
yes you will pay the shipping cost twice (unless you are on prime), but the 1 book will ship immediately, while the other 9 will have to wait until they are all printed before shipping.

Hope that helps.

Neil Mosspark | Website | Twitter Feed | Facebook Page

Offline Spin52

• Seattle and Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »
I always order straight from Amazon for that reason -- the length of delivery time. When I publish a new book, I skip the print review on CS and make it available on Amazon. I immediately order a copy which arrives in three or four days. Read it through quickly and if I catch any errors, reload a new copy. I think I've had to do that only twice; otherwise the original copy stays up. When I'm in the UK, it's even more essential to go straight to Amazon, since it takes at least a fortnight to get the CS copy delivered. 

Tradtional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes
Facebook | Amazon author page

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• Helping you reach your publishing goals since 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »
Another consideration with CS fulfillment is that, from what I've heard, customer orders take precedence over author orders. And a small order will usually be fulfilled before a large order due to the respective amounts of time they take.
Providing editing and book design services to independent authors
Sarah Holroyd | Sleeping Cat Books | Sleeping Cat Press | discussion

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
actually, I called CS about longer than normal delivery times.  For mr in Michigan, CS prints the books in South Carolina... and there's been this little issue of a hurricane and roads being flooded....

www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1
covers by Todd C. Hamilton

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »

So here's how to hack this: Don't order 10 books at a time.
Order 1 then order 9
yes you will pay the shipping cost twice (unless you are on prime), but the 1 book will ship immediately, while the other 9 will have to wait until they are all printed before shipping.

Hope that helps.

That's not really a hack. You'll get the first book ultra fast, but then you still have to wait for the other nine, and pay double the shipping.

The best approach for CS -- especially when you're doing events -- is to allow for two or more weeks' printing and shipping time. Orders within two weeks of your event date might arrive on time, but it's best to plan ahead.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
That's not really a hack. You'll get the first book ultra fast, but then you still have to wait for the other nine, and pay double the shipping.

Not only that, but it will cost a lot more for the books. My title is priced at $9.95 on Amazon and with shipping and sales tax it will come in around $15. Even with my royalty, it's going to be more than $13. Now, go to CS and the price is $4.40 each and about $5 for shipping and a dollar or so for tax. I ordered three from them and it's less than $20.

But, as you say, don't order at the last minute if you need copies for anything special. Your special event doesn't mean anything to CS, unless of course you want to pay for overnight shipping.