KB Featured Book
A Second Chance
by Marcia Whitaker

$7.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-30
Bestseller ranking: 264164

Product Description
What would you do if you got that once in a lifetime second chance to seize everything that was torn away from you and make it right?

Living in the foothills of the scenic Rocky Mountains, highly respected Neurosurgeon, Julian Cahill, appears to have it all. He’s handsome, compassionate, ambitious, and wealthy but one thing is missing…a woman to share his life. For eighteen years he has grieved the loss of his high school sweetheart, Amber Scott, who passed away just prior to the start of their senior year. Ready to give up on love all together, college freshman, Destiny Bradshaw walks into his life, astounding him with her beauty. A girl half his age, she intrigues him. His attraction to her is powerful, but he’s unable to make sense of it. Despite the age difference, Destiny is also drawn to him, but her overly-protective parents have their concerns and give her an ultimatum. Upon uncovering some life-altering details in conne...

Author Topic: Self publishing software recommendations? Vellum, Scrivener, something else?  (Read 335 times)  

Offline bigtunacan

• View Profile
I'm working on my first self-published book and am interested in recommendations on the best software for this.  So far I have seen Vellum and Scrivener as the two that seems most recommended.  I have access to Windows or Mac, so that isn't an issue for me.  I think most of my sales would come from e-books, but I would like to be able to easily do physical books as needed (back of room sales, etc...).

Can people make recommendations of why I would choose one of these over the other besides just the price point, or are there some other great options I haven't heard of that I should be looking at instead?

Offline Stephanie Marks

• BC, Canada
    • View Profile
Both.

Write is Scrivener then format in Vellum. Done. Lol

Stephanie Marks | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
I use Jutoh. You can preset your formatting for all the different publishers, including Createspace and KDP print. i.e. create a .mobi for general release with an internal cover, but for Amazon, excluding cover. It works with Open Office, creates HTML and clean epub/epub3. simple to use, but has a tremendous amount of hidden power.

Take a look here, http://www.jutoh.com/
also their sister program 'Writers Cafe' which will help you with all of your projects here, http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
I use Jutoh. You can preset your formatting for all the different publishers, including Createspace and KDP print. i.e. create a .mobi for general release with an internal cover, but for Amazon, excluding cover. It works with Open Office, creates HTML and clean epub/epub3. simple to use, but has a tremendous amount of hidden power.

Take a look here, http://www.jutoh.com/
also their sister program 'Writers Cafe' which will help you with all of your projects here, http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/
That's very interesting - I had Writers Cafe ages ago on one of my machines but I haven't seen it mentioned for so long that I thought it had disappeared altogether, and I didn't know it was linked to Jutoh either. Thanks!

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
Word

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Comic Covers

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
I use Scrivener for writing the manuscript and Vellum for producing the ebook and print book files. More than happy with both!

Up-and-coming horror author and future King of the World.
Lee Mountford | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon Author Page

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
I started out in Scrivener, not so much for the planning features as for the fact that it did flawless epub and mobi conversions. I actually prefer writing in Word, so when I discovered Vellum, I stopped using Scrivener so much. I compose in Word and format in Vellum. The Vellum system works well for me, though there are times, particularly with the new paperback format, where I wish for more customization options.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online xprettyguardianx

• Oregon
    • View Profile
I used Scrivener for awhile. I was desperately looking for good writing software. It was mediocre. It had some relevant features but using them were convoluted and they weren't very unique compared to the other programs in their category. In the end I went back to Word, that will probably change in the future, but I was very happy with the tutorials I found for formatting in Word.